Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Z06 Owner with questions -qa1 or aldan-

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:52 AM
dohcfiend
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Z06 Owner with questions -qa1 or aldan-

I recently purchased a high mileage 2001 black Z06. I have wanted one for quite some time.

It is pending a full inspection tomorrow. It is completely stock which I like.

there are a few small things that need to be worked out but with a new platform comes research.

shocks and springs prob need to be replaced so might as well lower it too......but to my surprise the car uses a monoleaf?

That will not do so next is a coil over setup.

which kit is better?

qa1 or aldan?

intended use is more towards touring/track/road course. mainly used as a weekend car when not in attack mode.

what spring rates do you recommend for front/rear? I was thinking 650 fr 550 rear

also a full poly bushing kit is in order

any other recommendations?

many thanks in advance but I anticipate many more questions as I start to customize/restore this great car!

Last edited by dohcfiend; 10-19-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Alexander K
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The car will out drive you with oem components and summer tires. A brand new c7 z07 package has monoleafs and has no issue pounding on the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. My recommendation is buy new c6 z06 shocks or bilstein sports and some good 100 or 200tw tires. You bought a high mileage c5 so will assume you are not rolling around in buckets of money. Save it and spend it on track time. There was only one production car at my last track day that passed me and it was a c7 z06.

If you track the car more than a couple times a year I highly recommend a radiator/oil cooler combo. These cars run HOT and this mod will allow your oil temps to stay below 280 degrees which is much better for wear prevention. If you live in a very hot environment you may look into a transmission and differential coolers as well. Depending on track and your driving style you may or may not have to look into the brakes. Stainless brake lines are a must. By this point your going to be getting pissed that you're falling out of the oem seats due to the cars g potential. Harness bar and seats are now in order. Would consider all this before touching the suspension.

The only reason for coilovers is if you want to lower it when you're on the street. Lowering the car more than about 3/4" reduces the cars handling and is done only for cosmetic purposes.

EDIT: Before I forget to mention change out the springs if they are yellow. The oem springs have a pretty high failure rate as they get brittle quickly. Open up the oil cap and shine a light down. If they are yellow they need to go. GM makes a replacement which I believe are blue.

Last edited by Alexander K; 10-19-2017 at 02:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alexander K:
ArmchairArchitect (10-19-2017), dohcfiend (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:15 PM
dohcfiend
Advanced

you are referring to valve springs?

far as track use.....I am going to say about 5-10 times a year....mostly a weekend warrior.

Good to know on the coolers. on the street it avgs about 216 right now. Until I get my inspection I haven't been on it.

Far as money I had a certain amount budgeted and am currently 4k under budget so I have some wiggle room. That being said I am aiming to spend most of it on suspension,repair/restore, accessories then perhaps some small bolt-ons if the budget allows....cai and pulleys maybe. something small.

I am pushing towards the long game in regards to "building" it.

Last edited by dohcfiend; 10-19-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:05 PM
dohcfiend
Advanced

after a little research, going with aldan
Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Alexander K
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes valve springs. 5-10 hpde and I'd say the radiator/oil cooler is a requirement if you drive in 80 degree or above temps. You will not see oil temps or transmission temps high what so ever on the street unless something is wrong. You will see 280-300 degree oil temps with sustained high rpm around a track for 20-30 minute sessions. Technically nothing in an engine should touch besides the rings in the bore and obvious stuff like things bolted together..... Oil acts as a barrier so there is zero metal on metal contact. Once oil temps get high enough the oil breaks down and loses much of it's ability to create a barrier between the metal faces. High enough and the oil vaporizes momentarily specifically inside the pushrods. This is all very bad on your engine. You are greatly reducing the wear prevention of oil at 270+ degrees. A 1000$ combo is much cheaper than destroying your engine.

A vararam CAI are very good editions to a c5z. While more expensive, long tubes can grant over 30ft/lbs to the wheels.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 PM
dohcfiend
Advanced

duly noted....no track time until things are cooled. It's not really a pressing matter....I doubt it will see any track time until after the spring.

do you have any links or recommendations for these coolers?

also are those vents behind the front wheels being used? they would be a great place for a couple coolers if not.

Last edited by dohcfiend; 10-20-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 PM
dohcfiend
Advanced

btw it has the blue valve springs
Old 11-14-2017, 08:01 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Danny Popp is proof you dont need coilovers ... he runs VBandP compsite springs....

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06 Owner with questions -qa1 or aldan-

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Z06 Owner with questions -qa1 or aldan-