[Z06] Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Z06Bound
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensors

Guys,

My Z06 currently has stock wheels with added sensors for pressure monitoring. If I install another set of wheels without the sensors, will it issue a code or ??

I've searched and can't find an answer to my question.

Thanks much!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:42 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

The z06 didn't come with TPMS monitoring. If your car has it, it was added by altering the program after the fact. It's easy enough to do, the owner would just have to pay to have a mechanic set the programming with a TechII.

Does your DIC relay actual tire pressures to you when you go through the menu (with your TPMS wheels/tires mounted)? if so, then swapping out to different wheels that don't have TPMS sensors mounted will cause an error message to appear.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Randy, when I bought your car, the TPMS was the first mod that I did to it. The Z06s did not come with the sensors, but the PCM is that same as regular Vettes, so the TPMS system was a simple "turn on", so it should be a simple "turn off" by someone that has the device. If you have a local dealer that you trust, give them a call, it takes just a few minutes. BTW, when a sensor fails, it will give you an indication in the DIC, and instead of reading the actual pressure in that tire, it will read XX. You might also want to consider new sensors on your new wheels. If you look at some of the on line GM parts stores they only run about $40 a piece.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Depending on the dealer, it can cost as much as the price of two sensors to have them administer a TechII change--though there are some dealerships that'll do it for free--you'll have to check ahead. My local dealer ain't good for the big jobs (like changing a clutch) but for simple **** like this they didn't charge anything to activate TPMS. I'd just pay for 4 sensors and have them installed and use the "built-in" TPMS program, unless the second set of wheels is gonna be real temporary, like for an HPDE course. Then I'd just cancel the DIC XXX message.

Last edited by dork; 11-13-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

If you don't have run-flats there's no need for the sensors.

It's a gizmo, one that can be forgotten quickly.

I'd tune them out.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Z06Bound
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. Good to know that it can be programmed out if it's not needed with the new wheels.

Rich, still owe you a pic with the GHLs next time I get the Z out of the garage.
The following users liked this post:
Rich427 (11-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure Sensors

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tire Pressure Sensors