Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Torque Tube Rattle - What is Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:32 AM
w_vette
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torque Tube Rattle - What is Normal?

Asking because I’ve seen all the threads regarding the noise but at what point do I need to take action. Check out video below. This is the norm?

thanks in advance

Some mornings it rattles a ton and other times I barely hear it.

Last edited by w_vette; 11-15-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

It’s normal for mine to rattle whenever motor is idling in neutral with the clutch released. Depress the clutch and rattle goes away.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:28 AM
w_vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
It’s normal for mine to rattle whenever motor is idling in neutral with the clutch released. Depress the clutch and rattle goes away.
Mine does the same thing.

I guess my question is more along the lines of; why do some mornings the rattle is almost silent and others it sounds like the entire tube is going to fall off.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:46 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

No not at all . The bushing are going .. NO BS a friend has just had the same sometimes is did it sometimes not keep getting louder and louder .. Had it removed , bushings gone .. This went on for a year just about to let go ..Had it rebuilt a year back with the after market bushings POLY .. bad move did not last went with stock .. Just saying the same as yours sounds like ..
Old 11-17-2017, 11:53 AM
w_vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by radar502
No not at all . The bushing are going .. NO BS a friend has just had the same sometimes is did it sometimes not keep getting louder and louder .. Had it removed , bushings gone .. This went on for a year just about to let go ..Had it rebuilt a year back with the after market bushings POLY .. bad move did not last went with stock .. Just saying the same as yours sounds like ..
does that seem normal for 30k Miles? Or does age play a part in the bushings life?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:20 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Sounds is coming from the tube or the trans or the flex plate anyway the tube has to come out to find out what it is .. There is know way around it .. My friend sounds like a marbles in a soda can in the mornings and sometimes not at all .. This went on for a year .. it got worse so out came the rear and bam bad bushings .. Just saying in the tube area for sure and the only to know is take it out .. Pain the *** and not cheap if you pay someone to do it..
Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by radar502
Which bushings are you all referring to?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:14 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Which bushings are you all referring to?
Sorry couplings had bushings on the brain ..
Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM
cb2004mj
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

theres two different things that can be going on...first is the throw out bearing for the clutch. it sits right there in front of your shifter, if the noise changes with clutch movement then its probably just the throw out making noise. they are known for this and nothing to be concerned of. my car has solid torque tube bushings and makes a rattle still. now issue two is the torque tube bushings themselves. you have two of them one front, one rear. both sealed within the tube. have to remove the diff./trans combo and pull the tube to break it down. these are rubber from the factory and time is just as much a wear item as milage/use. idk about your car but mines a 2000....that's 17 years old, rubber doesn't last that long. i believe GM recommends torque tube bushing replacement every 10 years or whatever miles but may be wrong on that. hope this info helps you understand what may be going on a little better, best of luck with it

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube Rattle - What is Normal?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Torque Tube Rattle - What is Normal?