Sponsored by:

[Z06] Tire Recommendation for 15" Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Jimmy WS6
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Tire Recommendation for 15" Conversion

I have a 2002 C5z. Stock bottom end, stock trans, stock rear end. It is a cam only car with an A&A T-Trim blower on it that made 713rwhp. I am doing a 15" conversion on it. It is a street car more than a track car but it will be taken to the track a few times this summer. I am running 275/40/17 mickey street comp radials up front (normal radial tire).

Here is where my question comes up. The car is a stock 3.42 gear car. I was told that a bias ply would be more forgiving for a stick shift car when launching it. I was thinking Et Street R Bias Ply in a 28/11.5-15.

However when I spoke with Mickey Thompson directly they told me they recommend the Et Street R Bias Ply in a 28/11.5-15 but do NOT mix a radial with a bias ply or I run the risk of wrecking.

Anyone have any experience or advice for me?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Nasty99Vette
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy WS6
I have a 2002 C5z. Stock bottom end, stock trans, stock rear end. It is a cam only car with an A&A T-Trim blower on it that made 713rwhp. I am doing a 15" conversion on it. It is a street car more than a track car but it will be taken to the track a few times this summer. I am running 275/40/17 mickey street comp radials up front (normal radial tire).

Here is where my question comes up. The car is a stock 3.42 gear car. I was told that a bias ply would be more forgiving for a stick shift car when launching it. I was thinking Et Street R Bias Ply in a 28/11.5-15.

However when I spoke with Mickey Thompson directly they told me they recommend the Et Street R Bias Ply in a 28/11.5-15 but do NOT mix a radial with a bias ply or I run the risk of wrecking.

Anyone have any experience or advice for me?
I have always heard the same thing about mixing bias ply with radials. So I got rid of the bias ply tires on the rear and went with a M&H 28 inch drag radial out back. Im running the CCW Classic Wheels 16x10 out back and 18x7 up front. I drive mine on the street more than anywhere else, to the track occasionally. I would try to find a 28" street radial for safety
Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

the mixed raidla/bias will sway and be unstable at speeds, some people get away with it but most people recommend not to. MT makes a front bias to run, but im fairly certain they only run it in narrow sizes.

When you say street, do you mean rolls or digs? I have 28s on my car for rolls and it kills you on the hit (I was running a305/45/17 ET Street R)

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Recommendation for 15" Conversion

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tire Recommendation for 15" Conversion