Sponsored by:

[Z06] Question about headers and tune cost please

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Question about headers and tune cost please

I am buying on a set of AR longtube headers, x-pipe, no cats. Already have a cold air system, MGW shifter and Borla cat back exhaust. The only dealership in my are that will to the install, wants $695 to put on the headers on and $695 to tune it. this seems very high, but we just don't have speed shops near me, except some small ones I don't trust my 16k mile Z06 with. I don't have the lift or the time to do it myself, and getting to old to try, so that's not an option. Any advise would be nice. I live just outside the Myrtle beach area, any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

I've always installed my own headers, so I'm unsure but $695 seems fairly close, maybe a tad high. Plenty of mail order tunes that work fine, but if you're taking it in it kinda makes sense to have the installer do the tune.
Why not call around, up to a couple hours away for comfort...
Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 AM
clemson3
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's literally the only part of the state where I don't know anyone that could help you. I would imagine there's gotta be a reputable speed shop in Florence or somewhere close? Seems like you're getting charged a little much, especially for the tune.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Originally Posted by clemson3
That's literally the only part of the state where I don't know anyone that could help you. I would imagine there's gotta be a reputable speed shop in Florence or somewhere close? Seems like you're getting charged a little much, especially for the tune.
I'm sure the dealership has a tuner that they bring in to do the tune, the tuner charges his fee and the dealership adds on to it for their piece of the pie!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:20 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by iridelow
I'm sure the dealership has a tuner that they bring in to do the tune, the tuner charges his fee and the dealership adds on to it for their piece of the pie!
Wait, dealership? I'd have a performance shop, one that knows Corvettes if possible, do an install.
Edit; if I had to pay $1400 (or half for that matter) just for install and tune I'd not opt for headers.

Last edited by grantv; 01-12-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Header install should be $500-600 and a custom tune should be $300-400 in my experience. I personally would not consider a dealership for either of these things.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:02 PM
djmlax89
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
Header install should be $500-600 and a custom tune should be $300-400 in my experience. I personally would not consider a dealership for either of these things.
This ^

We have great shops up here in NC that would probably be happy to do the install, likely at a much better price than that. I'd check with RPM in Garner or Mayhem in Raleigh. 3 hour or so drive but worth it IMO to save that kind of $$, and I can guarantee they will do a much better job and get you better performance than a dealership install.

Last edited by djmlax89; 01-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by djmlax89
This ^

We have great shops up here in NC that would probably be happy to do the install, likely at a much better price than that. I'd check with RPM in Garner or Mayhem in Raleigh. 3 hour or so drive but worth it IMO to save that kind of $$, and I can guarantee they will do a much better job and get you better performance than a dealership install.
I might think twice about mayhem for something small like that. In my experience, and several other friends, they don't care much about you unless you're spending $10k with them or more. I definitely would think twice about having the dealership do the work, though.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:27 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

That's not an insane price for a header install but $695 for a tune is high? For that price they better be strapping it on a dyno and spending some tender loving time with it.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 AM
iridelow
Safety Car

Originally Posted by djmlax89
This ^

It's not the three hour drive it's getting the headers there with the car, not going to fit in the trunk of course!

Last edited by iridelow; 01-23-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:51 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

It's not the three hour drive it's getting the headers there with the car, not going to fit in the trunk of course!
That price is not bad. My wife and I drove to EastCoastSupercharging in New Jersey from Pa. I fit my Kooks headers and cats in the trunk very carefully. But my exhaust was on the car already that I was using. I paid more than that. But they also did my air intake and thermostat. Also dyno tune 4 pulls.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:14 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Well...you didn’t think this out beforehand.

Instead of buying your headers from your source, you should have gone on your ‘three hour tour’ to that shop where you where going to get them installed...but bought them from ‘that’ shop, and get a ‘ buy/ install package deal. Pretty simple, no headaches!

frank

Old 01-31-2018, 12:36 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by JETZ
Well...you didn’t think this out beforehand.

Instead of buying your headers from your source, you should have gone on your ‘three hour tour’ to that shop where you where going to get them installed...but bought them from ‘that’ shop, and get a ‘ buy/ install package deal. Pretty simple, no headaches!

frank
That is what we do a lot of the times for our customers. Makes it easier and the parts are already here, without worry of damaging their car or product trying to get them here for installation.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about headers and tune cost please

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question about headers and tune cost please