Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Viper vs. Vette (z06) Autocross - Anyone from here??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Viper vs. Vette (z06) Autocross - Anyone from here??

Looks like the Viper guys are claiming a clean sweep over the z06's...some CF members allegedly participated. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/sho...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 03-16-2003, 10:40 PM
SoCal Rebell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (z06) Autocross - Anyone from here?? (OCMike)

I heard the 4 Vipers took the top 4 spots from the Z06s :D :smash: :party:
Old 03-17-2003, 07:34 AM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Except for myself, the rest of the Z06 first-timer auto-crossers did pretty good. I DNF'ed all 3 runs by missing some cones near the end of the course. :banghead: I still had a great time. :steering:

EDIT seems that the times where a little closer than I thought:

Tony in a Viper 48.562 mod class
Chris in a Viper 51.5 street stock class
Ryan in a Viper 52.326 mod class
Jason in a Z06 52.401 first timer? mod class
Teddy in a Z06 52.697 mod class
Chris in a Z06 52.933 First timer mod class
Linh in a viper 52.9?? street stock class
Les in a Z06 53.500 First timer mod class
Myself DNF :( Still rookie mod class

The guys that ran in the street stock class had maybe 4-6 runs each while those of us in the modified class had 3 runs each and parked it. That was a good thing in my case, but some of the other Z06 guys would of done better with a few more runs and some more experience.

Oh my god is it possible that 2-3 of the Z06s beat one of the vipers. :eek: This can't be true, I mean a viper driver would never make a mistake and post that All the Corvettes were slower! over on the viper forum. I expect more from an exZ06 owner. :rolleyes:

All in good fun!!

[Modified by silverz06vette, 8:04 AM 3/17/2003]

[Modified by silverz06vette, 8:05 AM 3/17/2003]
Old 03-17-2003, 08:19 AM
woosch
Pro

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (silverz06vette)

Too bad the organization of this event was so poor :(

We had to let the Viper guys win, they were complaining about our anti lock brakes, active handling, traction control, cruise control, and gas mileage. If we had beaten them we would have never heard the end of it. :lolg:

Old 03-17-2003, 08:57 AM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you prep a Viper to the SCCA Solo II Super stock rules, and do the same for the Z06, then put national caliber autocross drivers in each car, the Z06 will win.

The Viper, even though it has gobs more torque, gets out handled by a 400 lb lighter Z06 on the twisties.

In SCCA Solo II (Autocross) competition, why do you think none of the national hotshoes campaign vipers?

Alex
Old 03-17-2003, 09:42 AM
GenerationX
Racer

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (alextz)

We had an awesome time too. Caravaning down there was a lot of fun and it's always great to see you guys. Sorry about the mistake on Linh's time, I went by the timing & scoring sheet and they appear to have had an error due to the generator failure after the first run group. So it was only a Viper clean sweep of the PODIUM. :rofl:

BTW, none of us got more than 3 runs. Very atypical for a Middle Georgia event (where we usually get 6).

As far as Alex's comment, I am so sick of debating that I don't even want to respond any more.

I hope we can get together and do this again soon. The next Middle Georgia event is April 27, but I can't come -- there is an event at the new Barber track on Alabama I am driving at.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:35 AM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (GenerationX)

Let us know when you guys would like to go down there again. I just hope that they can do a better job with the event the next time.

Heck maybe I will get a run in without a DNF. :)

I thought that you guys had more runs than 3 but could of been me watching cars from my corner for what seemed like hours.

I was leading the way for a while on the trip home with Ryan behind me. Its a site I don't get to see at RA very often.

Hopefully we can get together at RA later in the year. I'm going to Roebling road over the easter w/e to run with a Porsche group. So my next driving event at RA will be in august or sept.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:55 AM
GenerationX
Racer

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (silverz06vette)

With respect to Road Atlanta, I think I will probably go to the one in September. I wanted my first track experience to be at the Barber track (safer, I think).
Old 03-17-2003, 01:17 PM
woosch
Pro

You'll have to let us know what that track is like, hear lots of good things.
Hopefully manage to get into an event there.

Yesterday was fun, I would have liked to get in a couple more runs, maybe next time.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:23 PM
GenerationX
Racer

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (woosch)

Yes, like I said, that was totally uncharacteristic of them. I always get 6 runs there, so you should definitely go back (check their schedule at http://www.mgascca.org). I also sometimes go to B'ham, which has a nice big lot and usually 4 runs (www.alscca.org).
I will give a full report on the Barber Track. Also, I think a couple of VCA people were over there this past weekend, if they post anything I will post a link here.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:31 PM
GenerationX
Racer

Go to http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/sho...76&page=0&view for Pete's impressions of the Barber track.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:33 PM
stingray454
Drifting

If you prep a Viper to the SCCA Solo II Super stock rules, and do the same for the Z06, then put national caliber autocross drivers in each car, the Z06 will win.

The Viper, even though it has gobs more torque, gets out handled by a 400 lb lighter Z06 on the twisties.
Yep, very true. Also because the Viper's brakes suck (except for the new model), especially the early models without ABS. Ever see a Viper plow into some cones with the front wheels locked up? I have, funny stuff!!! :lol:

They can be fast at auto-X though with a capable driver. I've been beaten by one before, although he was in a modified class, versus me pure stock :blueangel:
Old 03-17-2003, 02:52 PM
99MdGts
Advanced

alexy, if if if..
too bad reality sets in now and then ?
btw, last I checked 3480 - 3200 = 280 lbs not that
280 lbs is much of an excuse.
LOL
try again...
Old 03-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Russ M
Instructor

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (99MdGts)

This is funny,

All the talk of Z06's destroying Vipers at auto crosses, and here is an event where 6 z06's all moded ran against 4 vipers two of which were stock. The Vipers got a clean sweep 1,2,3,4 and still the debate on this forum goes on.:rolleyes:

These what if debates are a bit lame, what if I spend 50k on my z06 and put in that 572 big block then I will waiste all the vipers. :lol:

BTW all the Vipers that attended DID NOT HAVE ABS, they all had the POOR factory brakes. And yes they still beat every Moded Z06, with ABS and traction control, and cup holders.

PS. Last I weight my bone stock RT/10 it weighed 3340lb's so where is this 400lb weight difference??? O wait its right next to the myth of Vipers cant handle right?
Old 03-17-2003, 04:04 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (Russ M)

Not me...
If you look to the big leagues of Auto-X, the Z06 is the car to beat in SS & ASP... We've had Vipers show up to our local SCCA events. Although they're formidable vehicles, I've had no trouble w/ them in the lowly 'vert--even when it was in stock configuration

I think it all boils down to the main performance quotient--the driver... :steering:
Old 03-17-2003, 04:05 PM
GenerationX
Racer

My Viper has ABS and the brakes do not "suck" in any sense of the word. In stopping power they are slightly less than the Z06, but the difference is not great. An Edmunds test showed that the ABS-equipped Viper took about 10 feet longer than the Z06 to stop from 60-0, and that is consistent with my experience with the two cars.
I've been told by some Viper owners (who also have/had Z06's) that the Viper's brakes resist fading on the track better than a Z06. I can't speak to this issue personally because I have not taken the Viper to a track yet. I CAN say that my Z06 brakes experienced significant fade at Road Atlanta even with brand-new Motul 600 in them. Strangest part is that the bubbles were in the REAR lines!
Old 03-17-2003, 05:21 PM
ryan 94viper
Instructor

Whatever anyone wants to say I had a great time and enjoyed the auto x for the most part. THe poeple running it needed some help with picking up the pace.
Anyway the average viper guys verse the average zo6 guys the viper guys win this time. I am not talking about evey other person that did whatever ,whenever. I am talking about 3/16/03 auto x. zo6 :smash:
viper :hurray: . Oh well better luck next time LES,BRYAN,TEDDY,CHRIS AND JASON.
Also had a great run on the way home with you guys. THe road construction sucked but other than that it was fun.
HAy BRYAN AND CHRIS I GOT JASON TO COME TO ROEBLING SO I GUESS IT WILL BE 4ZO6'S 1VIPER. I LIKE MY CHANCES. IS TIM GOING IN BLACK RUN GROUP? I HOPE SO BECAUSE I WANT SOMEONE TO RUN WITH.

SEE YA
FLYIN RYAN :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Viper vs. Vette (z06) Autocross - Anyone from here??

Old 03-17-2003, 05:41 PM
achilles99
Intermediate

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (stingray454)

Yep, I've seen a Viper plow because of sub-par braking... that was me this weekend!

I had fun meeting all of the Z06 guys... all class acts. I was a half-second from completing the 4-Viper sweep. I'll try better next time. In my defense, I have only driven the Viper for about 1,000 miles (just bought it), and I had changed the pads to a more progressive brand before the race. :nopity I guess I should have followed the proper break-in procedure. Oh well, what better way to bed them in than an auto-x! Glad to have made the "lock-up" mistake on the course rather than on the street.

After driving the Z06 and Viper, I must say I prefer the Viper. That being said, the Z06 is DEFINITELY a great car. MUCH better brakes than my non-ABS Viper. If I had to choose a daily driver, it would be a tough choice. Since it's not a daily, my vote is VIPER :)
Old 03-17-2003, 05:53 PM
stingray454
Drifting

This is funny,

All the talk of Z06's destroying Vipers at auto crosses, and here is an event where 6 z06's all moded ran against 4 vipers two of which were stock. The Vipers got a clean sweep 1,2,3,4 and still the debate on this forum goes on.:rolleyes:
No, the Viper drivers got a clean sweep, not the cars. Remember, auto-X is 80% driver, 20% car.

There is no debate. Take a look at the SCCA Solo II S-Stock (SS) class National results for last season. It was DOMINATED by Z06s. Including the best time for any stock class. Look at the top 10 SS list, and you will find all but one were Z06s. There were no Vipers to be found.

Those are the facts. If a Viper beats a Z06 in the SS class, its because the Viper's driver was a better driver than the Z06, not because the Viper was a better car for auto-x.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Russ M
Instructor

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (stingray454)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe last year at least Vipers could not compete in SS class. All Vipers were forced to run ASP class, at least that is what I read on the Viper boards. Besides majority of Viper owners do not believe it is a very good auto x car, so they run road courses.

Stingray454,

Vette guys always love rubbing in how easy a Z06 is to drive and how a poor driver can beat a mediocre driver in a Viper. Its sad that you just cant admit defeat, perhaps next time you should come out to real race where cones are not involved, then you will really see how z06's stack up.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Viper vs. Vette (z06) Autocross - Anyone from here??