Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 02:35 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex.

Today there were some wicked storms in most all of Virginia. I'm in Newport News and went out to dinner at 7:30, just as the rain started falling sideways . The Intake is all stock so I wasn't worried. Then the rain started getting so high on the roads that the front air dam was hitting! The car was splashing water everywhere. So now I'm a bit worried about installing the vortex. I think if I had it in today, I'd have destroyed my car . I guess showers like thes are rare, and I could have pulled over and waited it out. It was my first time with the vette in very heavy rain.
On a side note with the Z with open front air screens, doesn't the blackwing get straight shots of cold air? Today at the ware car show crus misl had a blackwing (dang they're huge) and it looked like if he opened the screens the air would go directly to the filter. Seems like the vortex wouldn't give a gain over the blackwing with no screens. Any opinions?

~Brian
_______

Old 06-01-2003, 04:49 AM
Aslan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex. (Cobra4B)

I have a Vortex and I have driven my Z06 through an utter downpour from Chicago to Des Moines (about 5 hours) without any problems at all. Mind you, the filter may need to be cleaned more often when you drive in the rain, but unless you drive through standing water, I wouldn't worry.

-Alex
Old 06-01-2003, 02:49 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex. (Cobra4B)

It is not the rain - but driving through standing water is what can kill ya.
When you drive slow through a deep water you can create a wave that will completely submerge your filter/ingest water.

So in fact, the say it is better to drive fast than drive slow. Of course not driving through deep puddles is a more prudent way.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I think I'm going to go with the vortex and just be careful about torrential rain. I've heard about pre filters too... I could put one of those in the scoop on rainy days.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex.
I would be too! For the situation you said you were driving in, with standing water slamming the front air dams, you should be thinking of an alternative to the Vortex Rammer, and the VaraRam would not be the alternative choice!

Seriously, if you must drive the car in heavy rain the two above mentioned intakes are not for you!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Z06TheKid
Racer

Default Re: Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex. (Glennm27)

I am in a similar situation in regards to wanting to purchase the new Halltech TRAP system. I know the filter is enclosed and protected from water splashing onto it, but my major concern is that when it rains in FL there is often a foot or two of standing water left behind. I would hate to have to gamble with the safety of my motor every time we get heavy rain so im going to be leaning towards a conservative position and go with the blackwing, even if it makes less power.

If your car is not a daily driver I would say go with whatever you believe makes the most power, but if not I would caution you to think carefully about just how close your filter will be sitting near standing water. Good luck with your descion :thumbs:
Old 06-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex. (EBZ06EB)

I have the vararam and drive in the rain,with no worry. BUT if I was in FLA with the amount of water that just suddenly apperares on your roads, with your tropical huge sudden rains, I would go with a K&N in the stock box, over ANY other. Just too much standing water in FLA when it rains hard. Ric
Old 06-02-2003, 08:56 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex. (Power Shifter)

BUT if I was in FLA with the amount of water that just suddenly apperares on your roads, with your tropical huge sudden rains, I would go with a K&N in the stock box, over ANY other. Just too much standing water in FLA when it rains hard. Ric
Yeah Ric if you don't live here you really can't understand how hard and violent it rains....summer sucks
:eek:
Oh I went by my dealership the other day and they had alot of Vette's there for flooding....interior and motor :eek:

[Modified by GaryZ06, 8:57 PM 6/2/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Drove in a very heavy rain storm today... worried about installing my vortex.