Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] HELP: I want to remove the MAF screen from my Z, any problems with this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default HELP: I want to remove the MAF screen from my Z, any problems with this?

Installing my vortex last week I was surprised to find that '01 Zs have MAF screens. I want to remove it, but some people have said that it will mess up how the MAF works. Will it make the car run leaner because there will be more air flow over the MAF, or will the car compensate enough? Do the MAFs on 02+ cars have different electronics to account for the absence of a screen?

I want to add a power coupler and remove the MAF screen... is this a bad idea? Will removing the screen cause problems on my '01 MAF?

Old 06-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: HELP: I want to remove the MAF screen from my Z, any problems with this? (Cobra4B)

Dang this place is slow tonight! ttt
Old 06-09-2003, 09:38 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: HELP: I want to remove the MAF screen from my Z, any problems with this? (Cobra4B)

Installing my vortex last week I was surprised to find that '01 Zs have MAF screens. I want to remove it, but some people have said that it will mess up how the MAF works. Will it make the car run leaner because there will be more air flow over the MAF, or will the car compensate enough? Do the MAFs on 02+ cars have different electronics to account for the absence of a screen?

I want to add a power coupler and remove the MAF screen... is this a bad idea? Will removing the screen cause problems on my '01 MAF?

In order: Yes it does. No it won't. No, yes it will. No. No. No.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:40 PM
2002 Z06
Instructor

Removing the screens and adding a coupler will not effect your car. The fact that the system IS a MAF it will compensate for the increase in air flow. Since the vortex is a straight thru design where the air flow has no bends or curves you will be fine.

I have done this mod twice before with no ill effects.

[Modified by 2002 Z06, 2:43 AM 6/10/2003]
Old 06-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: HELP: I want to remove the MAF screen from my Z, any problems with this? (2002 Z06)

thanks fellas :cheers:
Old 06-10-2003, 12:51 AM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Go for it, pull that MAF screen out. :D
Old 06-10-2003, 11:41 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

The screens are designed to smooth out the airflow over the MAF's heated wire. This allows the MAF to operate as accurately as possible. Removing the screens may end up causing inaccurate MAF readings. This may end up causing your fuel trims to shift around in an attempt to maintain stoich while closed loop. You will see the shift in trims if you check an OBDII scan tool.

When running closed loop your car will still use O2 sensor feedback to maintain stoich, but the shift in trims may cause a change in your WOT A/F ratio. If you are going to remove the screen & install a new airbox you will get the best result if you get the car tuned. Every car can be a bit different so YMMV.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: I want to remove the MAF screen from my Z, any problems with this?

Quick Reply: [Z06] HELP: I want to remove the MAF screen from my Z, any problems with this?