Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno..

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 09:48 PM
0opticZ06
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno..

Dyno tuning is done:
OK at the start of this we had two 2004 Zo6's that both dynoed 356 RWHP stock now after the mods below we have:

The win in this case goes to Halltech Trap for dyno results. Now we will see about at the track later. Both 2004 Z06's have SLP long tube headers, Magnaflow X-pipe, Borla Stingers, Tuned with Ls1 edit, timing 27 total, 12.9 A/F on the wide band at the top. Reminder both cars have less than 80 miles on the clock so Im sure they will make more when broken in. The cars are both SAE correction on the dyno jet.

Cheers to all hope this helps out.

First pass Halltech TRAP : 372 RWHP and 362 RWT not tuned
Final Tuned numbers for the Halltech trap at 195 to 198 water temp
379.1RWHP and 369.5 RWT

Vararam intake base run 365.2 RWHP 357.1 RWT
Final Tuned numbers for the Vararam at 195 to 198 water temp
377.3 RWT 367.0 RWT

:cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by opticZ06, 9:20 PM 12/16/2003]
Old 12-16-2003, 10:06 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (opticZ06)

The other thread you just posted did not list headers as a Mod on the VR car. Does the VR car have headers?

According to this your original dyno was at 356 RWHP. That means headers/exhaust/TRAP/tuning only got you 23 RWHP? That seems to be below the results promised by the manufacturers. Are you sure the tuner did the job correctly?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:13 PM
0opticZ06
Former Vendor

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (rbartick)

Yes both cars have the the same equipment except for one has a Vararam and one has Halltech TRAP. Yes the edit was done fine remember both cars once again have arouund 80 miles on them so they are not broke in, also I have seen other tuners click the magic button to standard correction for their customers wich made in this case another 5 RWHP for both. Remember this is just to compair the two on the dyno and in no way does it mean one is faster than the other at the track until I post that. I for one dont like the dyno I would rather put it on the track see sig...:smash:

rbartick if your car makes more power that is great your times are very nice.

Both cars have stock cats as well.

Cheers :cheers:

[Modified by opticZ06, 9:27 PM 12/16/2003]
Old 12-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Vegasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 06 and I put the new Halltech on it. :thumbs: I absolutley think it is the best choice, :thumbs: made a very noticable difference.:party: For this test though, I think with the Vararam, you will see gains when the car is in motion, especially at higher speeds. However, i'm sure the same goes for the Halltech, with the higher speeds theory. I wonder what difference having the front license plate cut out for the Halltech would give you. Anyways, Halltech #1 :cheers:
The following users liked this post:
bthomas (06-04-2019)
Old 12-16-2003, 10:43 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Optic,

Thanks for the post, as we both know it is the trap speeds that count, I suspect they will be very close. You ever gonna race again or do you do all your bragging from the dyno sheets?? Bring that slow butt pig of yours out to play! You KNOW I'm your daddy :)

Les :smash: :smash: :cheers:
Old 12-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (ZO6Les)

I have the vararam on my 01 Z and I don't think the dyno does show the true performance of the intake.Don't get me wrong I like the Halltech and I would put one on my car,but I like the true ram air of the vararam.Just sitting on dyno the vararam take's in more hot air than the halltech because of where the vararam sits.Take the vararam out on the road and it shows what it can really do.That's my 2 cents of the day.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:21 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Very nice. Im going to Halltech this weekend for the Cangy trap with tuning and thermostat. I'm going in the morning to superior automotive to have it dynod first. Then will dyno again afterword. Only mod the car has is the borla straight pipe. Car now has 1600 miles on it. Will let you guys know how it turns out. :flag :cheers:
Old 12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
slong
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (Brandon619)

I have the vararam on my 01 Z and I don't think the dyno does show the true performance of the intake.Don't get me wrong I like the Halltech and I would put one on my car,but I like the true ram air of the vararam.Just sitting on dyno the vararam take's in more hot air than the halltech because of where the vararam sits.Take the vararam out on the road and it shows what it can really do.That's my 2 cents of the day.
:iagree: Also kind of find it hard for two Z's to have identical Dyno numbers. Now I'm not saying it is not possible, just the odds are somewhat against it. Way too many variables. I think the only true test would be to swap intake systems on the cars and take another comparison. Lot of work, but I feel that is the only way to delete any large or small tail pipe to intake issues / variables between the cars. I mean after all, some point is being driven home here. YA,YA, just more $00.02
P.S. You must have too much cashola, but you sure know how to have fun.
:yesnod:
Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (vettethret)

Seems about right to me. A couple hp advantage to the TRAP. but I still the Vararam will be just as good if not better at the track. :cheers:
Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
0opticZ06
Former Vendor

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (Brandon619)

Z06Les you have taken enough of a beating in the last 2 years from my cars, I am suprised you dont need a new paint job from the dust all of my cars have thrown all over you.. And I see you have 441RWHP with your new set up the only thing you will be polishing off with the HP is my rims in the staging lanes get some nitrous DAD:smash: :smash: :cheers: :cheers: :p:

Brandon you have a point, Z06Les will tell you even if he doesnt like it, my other Z06 with only a Vararam and X-pipe plus tuning made 368RWHP and his SLED of a car made 380RWHP with headers, Halltech T-1 and tuning and he got his Door blown off AGAIN for the say 25th time or so by my car. So with the old Halltech T-1 vs, vararam at the track the vararam won, but we will see which makes more power at the track with the new TRAP set up.

BTW: Z06Les is the best sport when it comes to loosing and talking trash, we will go racing again soon Les I need to see your new car at the track buddy.
:yesnod: :thumbs: :D :D :D :D :D

Guys I agree this needs to be settled at the track to see which makes more MPH... As for dyno results I will be the first to say one day one car makes more than the other day. Ever time I go to the dyno I am off 5 to 8 hp up or down on any given day. The two are both great intakes. :cheers:

[Modified by opticZ06, 10:34 PM 12/16/2003]
Old 12-16-2003, 11:58 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

rbartick if your car makes more power that is great your times are very nice.
I am making less power than you are. My exhaust is bone stock and my only mods are an airbox, a 172 TSTat, and some minor LS1Edit tweaks. My last pull was about 370 SAE RWHP and I was knocking on the dyno. Mileage during that pull was 3000 miles. I've made other LS1Edit tweaks since my last pull and driven another 3000 miles and I am pretty sure I am now making a little more power. Good luck with the new vehicles!

Click chart for a larger view :)
Old 12-17-2003, 12:01 AM
0opticZ06
Former Vendor

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (rbartick)

Nice numbers, good times rbartick I am sure you are happy also. What was your A/F ratio and what total timing are you running on that pass.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 AM
pwrshhftd
Pro

i have posted this all before. but here goes again, im mainly interested in you alls opinon of my AF
check it out...

357/353

zip tie mod, K$ N no tuning.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:36 AM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (slong)

:iagree: Also kind of find it hard for two Z's to have identical Dyno numbers. Now I'm not saying it is not possible, just the odds are somewhat against it. Way too many variables. I think the only true test would be to swap intake systems on the cars and take another comparison. Lot of work, but I feel that is the only way to delete any large or small tail pipe to intake issues / variables between the cars. I mean after all, some point is being driven home here. YA,YA, just more $00.02
P.S. You must have too much cashola, but you sure know how to have fun.
:yesnod:
:iagree: After your finished with all your testing then swap out the two intakes and see if the results are any different. It would be a real pain but it would make the results hard to refute. Anyway, here's to your hard work so far :cheers:

[Modified by RobsC5, 7:38 AM 12/17/2003]
Old 12-17-2003, 03:36 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (pwrshhftd)

i have posted this all before. but here goes again, im mainly interested in you alls opinon of my AF
check it out...

357/353

zip tie mod, K$ N no tuning.

AF looks fine. Of course it isnt perfect, but you are fine.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:14 AM
0opticZ06
Former Vendor

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (RobsC5)

RobC5 you said swap out the inakes and do this again.. :lol: :lol: You bring the beer and Im in.!!!!

Pwershhfted you send me an IM and I deleted it send it again what ever you were asking, thanks.

Cheers :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-17-2003, 09:39 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

For the record, and at a young age Optic suffers from memory lapse, the last time he and I raced our Z06's I had a better trap speed and E/T - he got to the light first (barely) because I had a crap 60'. And yes, with more RWHP on the dyno than his car he PULLED me on the top end when I had the T1 and he had the Vararam. Two weeks later I had the Vararam and I had the better numbers. Cold air does rule, and while the dyno comparison is interesting, there will be more than 2 RWHP diffference with the same car run to run and throughout the day, so the dyno win here is statistically insignificant. That is why I am only interested in trap speed differences.

And Optic, glad to hear you are coming out of retirement ans will race again, have you signed that pig up for the Tuner Shootout yet, or are you afraid??

:smash: :smash: :smash: :lol: :lol:

Les
Z06Les you have taken enough of a beating in the last 2 years from my cars, I am suprised you dont need a new paint job from the dust all of my cars have thrown all over you.. And I see you have 441RWHP with your new set up the only thing you will be polishing off with the HP is my rims in the staging lanes get some nitrous DAD:smash: :smash: :cheers: :cheers: :p:

Brandon you have a point, Z06Les will tell you even if he doesnt like it, my other Z06 with only a Vararam and X-pipe plus tuning made 368RWHP and his SLED of a car made 380RWHP with headers, Halltech T-1 and tuning and he got his Door blown off AGAIN for the say 25th time or so by my car. So with the old Halltech T-1 vs, vararam at the track the vararam won, but we will see which makes more power at the track with the new TRAP set up.

BTW: Z06Les is the best sport when it comes to loosing and talking trash, we will go racing again soon Les I need to see your new car at the track buddy.
:yesnod: :thumbs: :D :D :D :D :D

Guys I agree this needs to be settled at the track to see which makes more MPH... As for dyno results I will be the first to say one day one car makes more than the other day. Ever time I go to the dyno I am off 5 to 8 hp up or down on any given day. The two are both great intakes. :cheers:

[Modified by opticZ06, 10:34 PM 12/16/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno..

Old 12-17-2003, 09:44 AM
0opticZ06
Former Vendor

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (ZO6Les)

So again as I was saying Z06Les in his old age LOST again but he did try, and for the record I was getting so board beating you that day over and over again I fell asleep behind the wheel and banged the rpm limiter which slowed me do but not enough to loose to you. :cheers:

Les I will be at the shoot out with my GEO Metro !!!!

And yes I think I will come out or retirement tonight in Florida its been so damn long I dont know if I can drive anymore.. :yesnod:

[Modified by opticZ06, 8:45 AM 12/17/2003]
Old 12-17-2003, 09:55 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

And yes I think I will come out or retirement tonight in Florida its been so damn long I dont know if I can drive anymore..
Life is very good for Optic.

It is only a matter of time until he hooks up with one of the Hilton sisters. :)
The following users liked this post:
whreid (02-16-2020)
Old 12-17-2003, 10:02 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno.. (pwrshhftd)

Kind of tough to tell from this chart because the scale is wide on the A/F chart. It would better to stretch the display range to only include 11 to 15. Also, I've never seen a dynojet chart that looked like this. Where did you get this? Where was the wideband sensor, tailpipe or before the cats?

In any event the A/F curve does follow the proper shape. Starts lean, gets richer around the TQ peak, and leans off again. Looks good to me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Halltech beats Vararam on the Dyno..