[Z06] question on performance rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 PM
jnjboc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on performance rotors/pads

Hi folks,

due to DE events and "spirited" street driving, my pads are getting slim at 10k miles on my '04 Z06.

I called a local vette performance shop. They recommended the Hawk fero-carbo performance street/autocross pads, and the ac/delco slotted and cross-drilled rotors to got with them for better heat dissipation.

Out the door, everything installed, right at $1000.

Any thoughts/experience on this would be appreciated.

i have read on the forum that hawks are a good compromise if you will only be using one set of pads for street/DE track use. will the cross drilled rotors really help my braking, and are AC/Delco's recommended?

thanks so much...
Old 10-19-2004, 07:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jnjboc
Hi folks,

due to DE events and "spirited" street driving, my pads are getting slim at 10k miles on my '04 Z06.

I called a local vette performance shop. They recommended the Hawk fero-carbo performance street/autocross pads, and the ac/delco slotted and cross-drilled rotors to got with them for better heat dissipation.

Out the door, everything installed, right at $1000.

Any thoughts/experience on this would be appreciated.

i have read on the forum that hawks are a good compromise if you will only be using one set of pads for street/DE track use. will the cross drilled rotors really help my braking, and are AC/Delco's recommended?

thanks so much...

Cross drilled rotors are NOT, REPETE NOT for track use but only bling bling. Rotors and pads these days have great heat disapation so holes or slots are not needed.

Most ppl that do track days or DEs use the Raybestos rotors from rockauto.com numbers 56700 to 56703 about $20 each

or from NAPA part numbers 86700 to 86703 about $25 each

Brake pads - is a mixed bag. I have use Hawk HPS and they were toast in one day on the track. I have also used HP+ and they were a good mix for track and street, but have a lot of dust.

Ceramic pads for the track are not an option.

Most ppl use race pads on the track and change back and forth

The top three brands of brake pads for the track are:
Carbotech XP-9 front and XP-8 for the rear or XP-10 f and XP9 rear
Wilwood J or H pads
I prefer PFC-01 pads

Nether the Carbotech or the PFC are for street use, but only track use.

If you are only doing a few DEs a year then the GM Z06 pads are fine as you can use them on both the street and the track.

If you plan on doing several DEs a year then it is time to learn how to change your own brake pads, rotors and bleed your brake fluid.

Cost: rotors $110, racing pads $300 to $450 a set - an hour of your time. that includes bleeding your brake fluid.

Come over to the Autocross and roadracing forum, there is a lot of info on brakes in that section.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-19-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:29 PM
bldme2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and pads

I agree with not using the cross drilled rotors--they are a cracking problem---not to mention the cost.
If you are going to a high speed track like Road America, I highly recommend using Hawk Blue 9012 or Hawk HT-10's you will be ecstatic with them---but you should not use them on the street because they don't heat up enough to be useable.
I flip out all my rotors and pads at every DE---it takes about an hour---you need to learn how---it really isn't that hard.
Just my two cents!
Old 10-24-2004, 11:05 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with Tom as well.
I personally use the $25 Napa rotors because there is a Napa distributor near my house and... well they are only $25...
And I use the Carbotech XP10 front, XP9 rear on DOT legal "R" compound tires. Carbotech does make some pads that are a hybrid track/street pad but I haven't used them. I like the Carbotech pads as they are an excellent pad for a reasonable price.
Forum vendor pfyc.com carries the Carbotech line.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-25-2004, 11:59 AM
barondw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the lowest cost acceptable rotor and the best pad you can find.

Expensive rotors for DEs are a waste of your money. As mentioned above cross drilling creates stress crack problems. But I believe that slotted or dimpled have betetr performance than flat surfaced rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To question on performance rotors/pads

Quick Reply: [Z06] question on performance rotors/pads