Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-filter for open filters !!!???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:25 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Pre-filter for open filters !!!???

Well, have been spending all my money lately on ATVs and mods so havent been on here in a while. Its very popular to open up ATV airboxes and use pre-filters like Outerwears brand to help keep the large junk off the filters and also to assist a little with waterproofing. When trying to decide which fintake setup for my vette there was all this concern about filters getting too dirty and hydro lock. I went ahead and got a Halltec trap but is still get pretty nasty and I avoid rainy days .... has anyone pondered using a pre-filter for open air filters ... seems it would be great for all the different open filter mods out there !!!!??? Anyone have one ??? A search showed no topics on this ...
Old 12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Never heard of anyone doing it, but is sounds like a reasonable idea.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Default more ...

Its basically just a nylon like bag that slips over the filter and is not very stictive on air flow at all from what I have seen on the ATV site ... it would be a custom fit for different filters ... I currently have an inquiry into Outerwears for a Halltrec trap filter ...
Old 12-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,208 Likes on 3,454 Posts

I suppose if one drove their Vette iin the same places as their ATVs they'd be okay.

As for hydrolock, there are pressure release valves in various sizes that open if the main intake is underwater. Last I looked no single unit was quite large enough for a Vette, but this has probably changed since.

I'd not use a "vacuum cleaner" intake without one.

All the best.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:40 PM
n2spd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting! I use filter skins on my 04' CRF450R and I never have to actually clean the filter. I have reoiled the filter but the filter skin does the rest. I think it would work but it wouldn't look cool. Kind of like a air filter wrapped in pantyhose.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:58 PM
sweetcharity
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15

AZvetteman you have PM
Old 12-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

AZvetteman........I have a Vortex Ram Air intake (bottom breather - open filter) on my C5 and I did have Outerwears make a pre-filter for me. The thing works great. Before the pre-filter, sand would collect in the pleats of the filter. The pre-filter does a great job of keeping out the sand and the filter stays cleaner longer. I'm not sure if the pre-filter would help prevent hydro-lock, however. Here's a link to their web site:

http://216.120.158.79/index.taf

Call them with the dimensions of your filter and they will custom make a pre-filter for you. If memory serves me correctly, they charged me around $15.00.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:04 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Default thanks ...

Still really suprised this hasnt caught on in the auto world that I can see ...

Avanti - I cant tthink of much dirtier places than Arizona highways. I'rather wake a lick of a trail than an AZ highway if I had too I have the Halltech trap which basically sits in the bumper with the Z06 screens feeding it air (and junk) and the downside is the bottom of the bumper does not really allow itself "flush" out junk completlely that comes through through the screens ... goes the same for liquids ... it lets the bulk out but a small amount still hangs out around the filter as the bottom of the bumper is cupped.

sweetcharity - thanks a ton ... let me see how this Outerwears thing plays out as they actually make a nice looking custom fit piece.

n2spd - Only dead bugs get a look at my filter down there in the bumper

98-C5 - The Outerwears are water resistant ... not water proof but could save yeah big time if you get a quick rush of water that goes away quickly ...

Now I just need the dimensions for the Halltech Trap filter .... will keep yeah posted

Get notified of new replies

To Pre-filter for open filters !!!???

Quick Reply: Pre-filter for open filters !!!???