C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:22 PM
TEAShea
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The general rule of thumb is that if your fingernail can catch the scratch, then it is too deep to sand out. In addition, remember that by sanding you are removing the thickness of the clearcoat and decreasing the protection it provides.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Old 04-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, the CF is an invaluable tool. I'm glad to know about cutting the clear bras. Did not know that and will never use one. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:29 PM
1subject70sheets
Racer

Originally Posted by EHS
Clear bras are not available pre-cut.

They are cut to a pattern, but there is always some cutting involved.

Visit Xpel's site to see all the kits that are precut and available for just about every current model. Any installer that knows what they're doing will not have to do any further cutting to the precut kit. The guy that did my car simply applied the kit without any additional trimming or cutting. Always make sure that your installer either uses precut kits or does not do any trimming directly on the car.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:40 PM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1subject70sheets
Visit Xpel's site to see all the kits that are precut and available for just about every current model. Any installer that knows what they're doing will not have to do any further cutting to the precut kit. The guy that did my car simply applied the kit without any additional trimming or cutting. Always make sure that your installer either uses precut kits or does not do any trimming directly on the car.
From the site link you provided above (under "installation tools" that they sell):

http://www.xpel.com/products/tools.asp

Olfa Razor Knife Part Number: P9906 Price: $14.95

If you want the thing to look right, you need to trim at some point.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:53 PM
1subject70sheets
Racer

Originally Posted by EHS
From the site link you provided above (under "installation tools" that they sell):

http://www.xpel.com/products/tools.asp

Olfa Razor Knife Part Number: P9906 Price: $14.95

If you want the thing to look right, you need to trim at some point.
I'm not sure who you were dealing with but the whole idea of the precut kit is that it's ready to be applied without trimming. I speak here from experience, one, I tried installing the kit myself and besides the fact that I sucked at it and I ended up with bunch of bubbles and stretch marks, the kit fit perfectly. Two, as mentioned, I watched my installer apply this stuff to my car and there was no trimming required.
Oh yes, the blade, there is a reason they sell bulk film on that site, so if you want to make a custom piece you can trim it yourself.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:01 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Worst case on this (as long as the cuts are within the clear coat and not down to the base/color coat) would be to need to CAREFULLY hand sand back the cuts, then spray new clear coat. Then color sanding and buffing would make it pretty again.

A high end body shop can do this without any problem.

Good luck. I now know never to consider this product.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Get that repaired and get a Speed Lingerie Bra with optional license plate holder.

if that is an issue in your state, problem solved in fact the Speed Lingerie Bra will solve a few problems.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:44 PM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1subject70sheets
I'm not sure who you were dealing with but the whole idea of the precut kit is that it's ready to be applied without trimming..
It's like decals, --- for a really professional job, there is always a little trimming involved -- to make it look perfect.

Just my .015 cents.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
My scratches are very thin and light.

How deep were yours that required repainting?
Ours were fairly deep. You could definitely feel them. As suggested, you might let a GOOD bodyshop give you an opinion. That's the only way you can know for sure if it can be buffed out. It sucks no matter how it's corrected. If they buff it out, you will have less clear coat and swirl marks. If they repaint it, they will buff the repainted area, and you will have some swirl marks. Painters don't seem to be able to paint anything without having to buff it afterwords. Sometimes you can polish out the swirls with a Porter Cable.

I would not let this stop me from using the clear shield. We got a nasty rock chip in the front of our Tahoe 2 days before we took it to "the slasher" for clear shield. The one silver lining in this whole thing is that since they had to repaint the front of the hood, the rock chip is gone. I would just be very careful about who I lest install it. We just pickud up our Tahoe and the guy did a great job. And to those that take (false) comfort in the "mine was pre-cut" - the jagoff that cut our paint used "laser cut" pieces too. But as I said in my first post, it often gets stretched as the apply it, and has to be trimmed. That's why a utility knife was on that website. I can't provide any better evidence than that.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM
C6 Girl
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Oh no. That sucks! I just received my GM bra, strictly for use back home from BG and I am very worried that similiar damage my happen to my car.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:39 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proof positive your better off going braless!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Gonna stay away from it...I'll just sell or repaint if it gets to be too big of an issue.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

EHS, I believe that the clear bra detracts from the looks of the vehicle...I remember seeing the Nissan 350Zs at the dealership with the clear bra on them...they are so noticeable...not for me. I'll take my chances with chips,etc., and if need be...a fresh coat of paint!
Old 04-15-2005, 04:43 PM
WWWest
Advanced

wow that sucks man...

For the clear bra haters out there the install is key, when a top notch pre-cut kit is properly installed there is NO TRIMMING. Most that sell kits, also sell bulk, that is what the knife is for...

When looking to have a clear bra install DO NOT go with the cheapest price, this is a service and you get what you pay for most of the time. If possible have the dealer install it. Chances are if your dealer offers it they sell a lot of it and do a top notch job - plus they will stand behind it.

In any case, best of luck with you situation!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Speed 2000
Intermediate

That's too bad about the cut marks in your paint, a rookie mistake for sure. Pre-cut kits are the only way to go, I totally agree with WWW.

This product works great. Finding a good installer that can apply the film where it is almost invisible can be tough.

http://www.speedfilm.net/photos_corvette1.html
Old 04-19-2005, 01:48 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

I will repeat myself ..... AGAIN. When our paint got the slice-n-dice treatment, the installer was using a PRE CUT KIT. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security. This product often (but not always) stretches as they apply it - rub it on. That is why it often has to be trimmed at the edges. I would bet money that everyone that has their paint cut was having a "laser pre-cut" kit put on, just like us.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
1subject70sheets
Racer

If you're using a novice installer that's what you may end up with. Even if the kit is precut, they may not have enough experience to properly stretch the film. I watched the guy that did my car and he did not have to cut anything. All the edges aligned properly, there were no bubbles or any other BS. For best results, visit either the Xpel site or 3M site, both have a list of factory-trained installers. (that's where I found mine.)

Get notified of new replies

To Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!

Old 04-19-2005, 02:57 PM
vettey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark S.
EHS, I believe that the clear bra detracts from the looks of the vehicle...I remember seeing the Nissan 350Zs at the dealership with the clear bra on them...they are so noticeable...not for me. I'll take my chances with chips,etc., and if need be...a fresh coat of paint!
If done right the clear bra is invisible from most angles. I used to think the same way about clear bras because I've seen so many crapy jobs out there. But IMO, there is nothing more detracting than nasty paint chips. When I used to respray my paint, I hated the fact that I had to leave my car at the shop for 1+ weeks. And when I drove it home from the shop, it would start picking up chips again. So I finally found a good, reputable installer. If I had the chance, I would have gotten the clear bra a lot sooner. (btw. the venture film they used is a lot clearer than the 3m I've seen on other cars.)
Old 04-19-2005, 07:46 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Our chevy dealer used Lumar on our Tahoe and it looks great. If you didn't know it was on the car, you would not even notice it unless you were within 6 feet.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still on the fence with this one. I would rather have chips than a clear bra and cuts in the paint, but even if you allow your car to get chips and get it repainted the new paint is more likely to chip than the factory paint. If you use the car for weekend track events, protecting the paint becomes even more of an issue. What to do?

Quick Reply: Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!