C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:02 AM
paintshield
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Guys

Salutations from the vestige of Empire

As my company does not operate in the US I have no axe to grind here, we are XPEL distributors in Europe and what I can impart is the following.

With a well designed Cut-Kit there is no reason to take a blade to the car that is pure installer incompetence and I would sue anyone who did that to my car.

Secondly the olfa Knife shown on the Xpel website is NOT for cutting on the car, these kits are produced on a graphics plotter from 120 foot rolls of film on the machines is a recessed bar with a cut line this knife is used for cutting the kit free from the roll.

Many of the comments regarding cut kits and the way they should work a very perceptive and some of you guys know what you are talking about, I wish the UK consumer was as well educated. Botom line (pardon the Pun) if you want to ensure that no-one cuts on your baby seek out an XPEL dealer.

Best Wishes

Tom
Old 04-20-2005, 10:02 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by vetracer
I'm still on the fence with this one. I would rather have chips than a clear bra and cuts in the paint, but even if you allow your car to get chips and get it repainted the new paint is more likely to chip than the factory paint. If you use the car for weekend track events, protecting the paint becomes even more of an issue. What to do?
Get the clear bra. But before you do, try to find an installer that is recommended by other members, or reccomended by the manufacturer. Before you hire them, discuss your concerns about fellow members who have had their paint cut. The fact that you discussed it with them will go a long way in preventing problems since they will know you will be looking for that. Or do what I did - try them out using your wife's car first
Old 04-27-2005, 04:01 AM
X-Firejeff
1st Gear

Default X-Firejeff

I am a certified Installer and installing clear bras isn't like tint. It is much harder. I was certified by X-pel, they give you a certificate. And #M also will send one also. My suggestion would be ask to see theirs. I carry mine in my portfolio. We have a Plotter cutter that cuts the kit. these kist are cut so you have to strech them to fit, NO CUTTING!! If Installed Right they are hard to see but the color of vehicle can mahe a differnce as to visabilty. I read a statement showing a cutter yes we use that to cut the kit off the roll. It is a type of blade that is segmented to stay sharp. X-pel offers it for convenience. Not for trimming kit, I had a regular bra on my car It was expensive. when I removed it to wash the car there was alot of dust under it. It dosen't take much to scratch the car. So I left it off. Untill I read about the clear bras. I saw one nobody installed them here So I went to Texas took the class and bought my system and started to install them. I gaurentee my Work and if the person dosen't like it. I'll remove it to keep my customers happy. I have as of yet to remove one.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:17 PM
emmistach
1st Gear

Default Clear Bra issue's

I,ve had 2 bra's put on my C5 in the past 3 years with no problems at all. This product works, Sorry you had someone that didn't know what they were doing installing it. , P.S. check out Page 2 Speed 2000 reply, that;s mine in the pictures.

Last edited by emmistach; 05-03-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:38 PM
cliffs place
Cruising

Originally Posted by bj33813
I just had my C6 done ( front, hood, fenders, mirrors, extended wheel wells), and the guy was absolutely fastidious in the install...took 11 hours !!!! But what a great job...any cutting he did, he used a plastic template and cut with the film LIFTED while he cut. He just kept working the film and tacking it down until it was perfect.

The installer is THE key to this stuff.
Where did you have yours done. I'm in Jacksonville and am heading south this weekend. If you had yours installed in the State, I can be there Mon, Tues or Wed. I agree, the installer is the key.

Quick Reply: Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!