C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On-Star Questions & Answers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Default On-Star Questions & Answers

Hello folks! As you know, we are scheduled to have a question and answer session with the OnStar representative today. Unfortunately, because of another scheduling conflict, we were unable to have the rep here today. I didn’t announce this earlier because we were hoping to be able to pull it off.

The good news is that he was listening to your concerns. The rep read over your concern and sent me an email this morning addressing most of the concerns brought up on the forum about OnStar.

Below is a copy of the email that he asked me to post. I hope this is helpful in answering some of the questions forum members have about OnStar and its technology.

Corvette Forum
OnStar Responses

We at OnStar will not be able to join you live today, however we would like to provide you with some clarification on your concerns about OnStar. The following information regarding OnStar services should help serve as a reference point for OnStar discussions on this web page.

OnStar is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors, and is committed to the safety and security of our subscribers. General Motors is the only auto manufacturer with a full range of cars and trucks offering continuous safety protection, before, during and thanks to OnStar, after a crash. Today, OnStar is available on more than 50 GM models, including the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette.

We have identified several OnStar questions that the group has raised, and have responded below. For more information please visit onstar.com, or to contact us visit the “contact us” section on onstar.com

-OnStar

"Why did the 2005 Corvette receive analog/digital-ready OnStar hardware?"
• For each vehicle in any given model year, the launch of OnStar’s latest hardware is dependent on aligning the timing of the vehicle-ready hardware and vehicle development plans. The objective is to ensure OnStar hardware is fully tested and to introduce the hardware on a vehicle when it’s most optimal to accept the hardware change. Because each vehicle has its own development schedule, not all vehicles will receive the same hardware at the same time; this is why the Corvette received analog/digital-ready hardware for the 2005 model year. Please keep in mind that the analog network currently provides the most extensive coverage across the United States and Canada.

"Will my 2005 Corvette be upgradeable to digital OnStar hardware?"
• The 2005 Corvette was built with analog/digital-ready equipment. Analog/digital-ready equipment was designed to be upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) when available. However, final information regarding timing for a digital equipment upgrade for this vehicle is currently not available. Please check back after September 1, 2005 at www.onstar.com/digital-transition for developing information regarding the OnStar digital upgrade program.

"Does OnStar continuously monitor my vehicle's location?"
• No, OnStar does not continuously or routinely monitor, update or otherwise track the location of OnStar-equipped vehicles. OnStar only obtains the location of a vehicle when a user initiates a request for service, there is an Air Bag Deployment, Advanced Automatic Crash Notification is triggered or when required to do so by a valid court order in criminal procedures. OnStar requires documented police involvement for stolen vehicle location assistance and missing person requests.

"What services does OnStar provide with my subscription?”
• OnStar is a factory-installed safety and security system, with features such as Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment, Emergency Services, Roadside Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, AccidentAssist, Stolen Vehicle Tracking, Remote Vehicle Diagnostics, and Access to Hands-Free Voice-Activated Calling. All these services are included with the purchase of a new GM vehicle, and $199 per year (or $16.95 per month) after that.
• On a monthly basis, OnStar typically responds to:
• 35,000 Remote Door Unlocks
• 23,000 GM Goodwrench Remote Diagnostics Calls
• 13,000 Emergency Calls
• 900 Notifications of Air Bag Deployment
• 400 Requests for Stolen Vehicle Tracking
• And 7 million OnStar Hands-Free Calling Calls!
• OnStar Hands-Free Calling boasts an externally mounted antenna that is up to 6 times stronger than your average cell phone. With OnStar Hands-Free Calling, you can make and receive phone calls in areas where your cell phone may not get reception.
• For more information on OnStar services and subscription plans, visit onstar.com.
• If you have not yet experienced OnStar, press the blue button and ask for a demonstration. An Advisor will be happy to demonstrate some of the key OnStar features to help you become more familiar with the services provided. Or, visit your Chevrolet dealer for a demonstration.
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Old 04-27-2005, 12:33 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"On a monthly basis, OnStar typically responds to:
• 13,000 Emergency Calls
• And 7 million OnStar Hands-Free Calling Calls"

These numbers make it pretty clear that OnStar is mostly an expensive cell phone and tool for idiots who can't remember to take their keys with them when they lock their car. The numbers confirm my prior post that the odds of my getting into an airbag deployment accident are rather slim (although I did render assistance in one and the OnStar operator had already called the State Police). If the service were $50 to $100 a year I would consider it. For $200 a year, I won't activate it on my Audi or Equinox and ordered my Corvette without it.

Alan
Old 04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
• 13,000 Emergency Calls

These numbers make it pretty clear that OnStar is mostly an expensive cell phone and tool for idiots who can't remember to take their keys with them when they lock their car. The numbers confirm my prior post that the odds of my getting into an airbag deployment accident are rather slim (although I did render assistance in one and the OnStar operator had already called the State Police). If the service were $50 to $100 a year I would consider it. For $200 a year, I won't activate it on my Audi or Equinox and ordered my Corvette without it.

Alan
Interesting
Old 04-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Thanks Dave! I'm still convinced that NOT getting OnStar was the way to go.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:42 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I hate to say this, but this is nothing more than an canned excuse/sales pitch. It does not address the main concern of price and multiple car discounts. It says nothing we didn't know about the digital ready. No information on the quality of service. Sounds like he was not prepared to give good answers or was told to not do this.
I am a multi-car Onstar subscriber and think the built in cell phone is a good thing. But his input was not very impressive.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

These numbers make it pretty clear that OnStar is mostly an expensive cell phone and tool for idiots who can't remember to take their keys with them when they lock their car....... For $200 a year, I won't activate it on my Audi or Equinox and ordered my Corvette without it.

Alan

Frank
Old 04-27-2005, 01:19 PM
C6-er
Racer

I have a real problem with options (Onstar – XM radio) that I pay for and then continue to pay for the rest of my life. If there is a monthly charge with an option then the option should be free of charge when purchasing the car. No thanks not for me.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:19 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
Thanks Dave! I'm still convinced that NOT getting OnStar was the way to go.

I did not order my new C6 with on star. It’s nothing more than a fancy/expensive cell phone. Catching their commercials, sounds like only people who lock their keys in need this overpriced baby sitter service. I still do not like the MANDOTORY DRL that GM has shoved down our throats, and am not happy that GM says on star will be in all 06 and up vehicles. Best bet this will be my last GM vehicle, if on star is standard equipment. Our other 2 vehicles are both 04 GM models so I have a couple of years to see what happens.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:24 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

• 13,000 Emergency Calls

Alan
I agree. 100.00 a year I can handle. 200.00 is a bit too much.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:26 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I have onstar and have it activated, however I was waiting for the person with onstar to tell me all the ways I was supposed to use it to get my money's worth. I will keep the basic service for an emergency and I will keep a few minutes of time on the phone service...again for an emergency, but I did not see anything that makes me want more.

Jim
Old 04-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 853 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by anothercrisis
I have onstar and have it activated, however I was waiting for the person with onstar to tell me all the ways I was supposed to use it to get my money's worth. I will keep the basic service for an emergency and I will keep a few minutes of time on the phone service...again for an emergency, but I did not see anything that makes me want more.Jim
Ditto.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:40 PM
canadian
Advanced

If we leave our keys in the car, will our doors not still be open?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:41 PM
wewing
Burning Brakes

I didn't order my C6 with onstar and based on the onstar reps answers I am glad I opted out. I have a cell phone service already and don't need to pay for two different cell phone plans. Especially not on a car I won't be driving everyday. $200 a year?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:45 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that I look at it again, I thing the rep did himself more harm than good. He would have done better to pospone and not say a word.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:54 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by canadian
If we leave our keys in the car, will our doors not still be open?
Somebody on the board left his keys in a (golf?)bag in the cargo area and the doors locked. If the fob is in the passenger compartment the doors won't lock.

Alan
Old 04-27-2005, 02:00 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

The only thing he said that addressed anything is that there should be an update about the digital upgrade come September. I still see that as a poor substitute for even a bare bones bluetooth kit. Other than that I see no nothing that adds to the information currently available.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Hot Tub
Advanced

Can someone explain the answer as to why the digital system was not installed in the 2005 model? I saw a lot of words that effectively said "we didn't install it because we decided against it", but I didn't see anything that explained exactly how that decision was made. Therefore, I am left with the impression that they just had a bunch of old analog units lying around (I'm sorry, I should have said "tested" instead of "old") and they decided to dump them in our cars. I guess if they had run out of "tested" units before they started making our cars, then they might have used digital ones (since the "schedules" would have then worked out in our favor). I kinda feel the same way I did when I bought my Trans Am in 1992 and found out it that it still had freon in the air conditioning system even though the stuff was already being taken off the market. Oh well, I guess we shoould be thankful they didn't have a bunch of halogen headlight bulbs piled up in the corner!

Get notified of new replies

To On-Star Questions & Answers

Old 04-27-2005, 02:26 PM
sfore93392
Instructor

Incorporate radar into the Onstar system and I might be interested.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:52 PM
JeepZJ
Intermediate

Why didn't he leave his name and title instead of signing it "Onstar"? For all I know this could have been a cut & paste from a brochure. And interesting that this time, a reschedule date has not been posted.

The demonstration at a Cadillac event is the reason why I am choosing to not get Onstar.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:37 PM
lehew
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

That didn't really answer anything. I still haven't found a reason to keep it. The integrated cell phone is very expensive compared to regular cell phone service, even when combined with a Verizon plan. I'll certainly drop the service as soon as the initial year runs out, unless the recurring charge drops a lot. I'd probably renew if it was $100 or less per year, but not at this price.

Marvin, thanks for trying to put this together.

Quick Reply: On-Star Questions & Answers