C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have picture of the Pioneer AVIC-D1 installed in a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:42 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dan1home
No it does not, the guy didnt know what he was talking about in this respect. To play dvds you need to add the optional dvd player which I don't think I am going to do.

I can tell you this much... The Head Unit rocks and it fits seemlessly into the C6 !!! I'm very happy with the sound quality, especially with the IPOD adapter. I now have 40gb of music at my disposal. I will try to post up a review with some pics of this unit soon.

Cools beans! I've looked at the DVD players-jeeze they cost more then the head unit! What did the installer use for a face plate? Love to see some pictures!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:55 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Got the Rear Camera installed yesterday by CarToons of Largo, FL. They did a real great job-great guys. With the AVIC-D1, you car use the camera while moving forward too as well as backing up. One plus point for the unit, while driving to work this morning I had the Navi and camera working in a split screens and I look over to the screen and spot a LEO trying to pace me in my blind spot! One smooth downshift and I was legal-leaving the LEO with nothing to do. Camera and install costs as well as the head unit was money well spent!
Old 06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, how about a pic of the rear camera mounting??
Old 06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stinky
John, how about a pic of the rear camera mounting??
It is that small round dot below the license plate:

Camera Pic

Another cool thing I found I could do was run my Cell Phone through the Aux Input. I know the receive is coming through the bose speaker system, I don't know whether the IPAQ 6513 is sending from its' own microphone or the speaker system.

Last edited by AutoCutter; 06-15-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

That camera is sick. I am getting the AVIC D1 installed in my truck tomorrow, and will get one for the C6, instead of the factory unit.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:20 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Barely Legal
That camera is sick. I am getting the AVIC D1 installed in my truck tomorrow, and will get one for the C6, instead of the factory unit.

You bet its' sick! Everyone one at work laughs at the camera, until they ride in the car with the camera on, then they can't take their eyes off the screen. Darnest thing I have seen!
Old 06-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

So how do you rewire the parking brake thing so you input addresses while moving?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:44 PM
pjblues
Cruising

Default Nav System

I am getting a new C6 with the 1SA package so basically no Nav system. What is a good aftermarket system to have put in? Does it take away from the value of the car?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

this might be of interest, found it on my old 350z forum:
Pioneer AVIC N2 Bypass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning Danger Caution Note

I have just discovered these instructions in another forum and have NOT tested them but I'm simply passing them along UNTESTED. Do not blow your $1500 head end up and come crying to me. I have NOT preformed this alteration to my unit and might never do it. Don't kill the messenger. Objects in your rear view mirror may be close than they appear. It's a dangerous world. You have been warned, my lawyer will tell yours to kiss my disclaimer.

I've been doing routine Google searches for AVIC N2 by-pass, hack, etc. and just popped this one today:

Quote:
Below are instructions on how to bypass the lockouts on the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and AVIC-D1. It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything. We figure these are service or testing modes, and were not intended to become public. Our Pioneer guy claims to not know anything about it, but who knows, that may just be a line.

This bypass will do three things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving
3. No more parking brake warning box!!!

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass: Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.

AVIC-D1 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).

Source page with some people claiming it works:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay...?TID=61037&PN=1
Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 PM
cowboy100
Instructor

Default Pioneer N2/D1

The mod in the last post does not work, do not ruin your unit by trying it. I have read several other posts that state that at this time there is no known hack for the N2/D1.

I have the N2 installed in my truck and while I think it is a well built unit and has a pretty good sound, I would not buy it again. Not being able to use half the functions while moving at speeds in excess of 10mph is bogus. If you are traveling down the highway and want to put in an address, you have to pull over to do it. There are too many units on the market that will let you use these functions if you are driving. Unless Pioneer changes its policy or a reliable hack is found, I do not recommend this product.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

My buddy simply called Pioneer and told him he installed the unit on his BOAT and would like to know how to bypass this feature as the boat does not have a parking brake. They explained it to him over the phone. I do not know exactly what he did, but all of his functions work while in motion.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:05 PM
APLark
Racer

I'm the corvette person who wanted to have my nav unit play dvd's. My C6 came with nav and every place I called said that putting in an after market unit when the C6 had nav leads to nothing but problems. Several system warnings coming up, different features with the nav / cd unit do not work anymore, ect.... Has anybody changed out their unit with nav and come out okay? Secondly, this morning I sent my unit out to Nav & DVD 2 Go and I will get it back Saturday am. The place that took it out will reinstall it and add the DVD unit. They also have to add a part for audio output (forgot the name) (Nav 2 Go adds a module and two RCA jacks). One for DVD and the other for a back-up camera if you'd like to add that feature.
I will post a reply on Saturday afternoon on how it's working.

APLark

Quick Reply: Anyone have picture of the Pioneer AVIC-D1 installed in a C6?