C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAGS = Blown fuse/check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
xstang
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default CAGS = Blown fuse/check engine light

Took my car in because the check engine light came on. Service manager called me back and said the problem was a blown fuse because of the ship shift eliminator I installed. Anyone else have this problem???
Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Never heard of that one! Did you just put the CAGS in?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babymaker
Took my car in because the check engine light came on. Service manager called me back and said the problem was a blown fuse because of the ship shift eliminator I installed. Anyone else have this problem???
Negative Ghost Rider.

Good to have you back!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:33 AM
JSTMYSPD
Burning Brakes

Did he charge you? Say anything about warranty?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
xstang
Drifting

The service guy was pretty cool. He said that there were several C5s with CAGS he never saw problem. He said it might be different with the C6. I'm just going to leave it off and have the 1st - 4th removed with a tune. No warranty issues..... They really didn't make a big deal about it - no charge.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:43 AM
xstang
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Never heard of that one! Did you just put the CAGS in?
It actually happened about a week after the CAGS install...
Old 07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

It actually happened about a week after the CAGS install...
I guess it's possible the service technician is BS'in you. He gave you a better/cooler answer than 'Dunno!' Those check engine lights come and go, and he found nothing, or had no other explanation.
Did he say what fuse blew?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
xstang
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I guess it's possible the service technician is BS'in you. He gave you a better/cooler answer than 'Dunno!' Those check engine lights come and go, and he found nothing, or had no other explanation.
Did he say what fuse blew?
No real explanation.... I'll probe more when I pick my car up in a few minutes... Anything else you guys want me to ask?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

In the latest issue of Corvette magazine, which just came yesterday, in the Letters to the editor section,a writer with a 2004 Corvette got a check engine message after installing CAGS skip shift. It burned out a resistor in the harness plug that fools the computer into thinking CAGS is still connected. He attributed the problem to staying in 1st gear too long because he lives on a long dirt road. Apparently the resistor watts are insufficient for sustained use but are fine under normal situations.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I put mine on with 100 miles and now at 13,000 and no problems.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:36 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, last weekend in fact, made the dealer all upset when I asked them to disarm GAGS since it was as dumb as it was useless in saving fuel.

I had the Mid-America Version which was a replacement on the West Coast Corvettes Version that didn't entirely block GAGS. The Mid-America Version worked for a while, but GAGS was trying to block 2nd gear after a short time.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:36 PM
FASTRNU
Instructor

I have installed the CAGS eliminator in the last 4 Corvettes I have owned, and have never had an issue. This is the first time since 1998 (when I started driving Corvettes) that I have heard of something like that happening.

Freak occurrence. I'd put another one in.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
...I had the Mid-America Version which was a replacement on the West Coast Corvettes Version that didn't entirely block GAGS. The Mid-America Version worked for a while, but GAGS was trying to block 2nd gear after a short time.
Judging from photos of skip shift eliminators, there are two versions of this device: (1) One type appears to consist of two connector ends that are shipped made up into a single unit with no visible wiring, and (2) Another type that has two connector ends assembled onto a pair of visible wires.

I understand that "Type (1)" is installed by removing the harness completely from the transmission, and plugging the transmission connector and the harness end with the two connector ends that make up the vendor-supplied "eliminator". The disconnected harness is secured out of harms way with a wire tie. Since the harness remains physically removed from the transmission, it is impossible for CAGS to influence shifting when this type is installed.

Do you have the skip shift eliminator described above as "Type (2)"? Does this type somehow maintain circuit continuity when installed?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:11 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Judging from photos of skip shift eliminators, there are two versions of this device: (1) One type appears to consist of two connector ends that are shipped made up into a single unit with no visible wiring, and (2) Another type that has two connector ends assembled onto a pair of visible wires.

I understand that "Type (1)" is installed by removing the harness completely from the transmission, and plugging the transmission connector and the harness end with the two connector ends that make up the vendor-supplied "eliminator". The disconnected harness is secured out of harms way with a wire tie. Since the harness remains physically removed from the transmission, it is impossible for CAGS to influence shifting when this type is installed.

Do you have the skip shift eliminator described above as "Type (2)"? Does this type somehow maintain circuit continuity when installed?
Using your titles, The first I tried was a Type 1. This never entirely worked. What I felt with the Type 1 was some minor interference to moving the shifter to 2nd when GAGS was on-when GAGS off there was no interference.

The Type 2, worked for about 5 weeks, the 1-2 interference began again and stayed until the check engine came on-the DTC code 2250 stayed until the eliminator was taken out of the loop.

While I hear you say it is impossible for GAGS to influence shifting if the eliminator is attached, evidence appears to be the contrary with my vehicle. Both eliminators isolate the harness; none of which are specifically designed for the C6. The only real way to get "rid" of GAGS that I know is to reprogram the temperature at which GAGS is triggered-there may be others.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:34 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Never heard that one, interesting.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:58 PM
stanleyp
Drifting

40 gazillion CAGS elliminators out there haven't harmed a thing.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Should have bought an automatic instead..

Get notified of new replies

To CAGS = Blown fuse/check engine light

Old 07-04-2005, 07:23 PM
lehew
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh

The difference is just packaging. You could disable the skip shift by unplugging the connector from the transmission, but you would get a check engine light. Either type accomplishes the same thing.

1 - disconnects the skip shift from the transmission so it never gets the signal to block the 2nd gear gate.
2 - provides some resistance, but not an open circuit, to the computer, so it appear to the computer that it is hooked to the transmission.
3. - Plugs the connector to the transmission so it doesn't get dirty.

By your definitions, I have a type 1 installed. I gave it to my dealer, and they installed it as part of the dealer prep. It's very simple and unlikely to cause a problem.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:26 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by LS WON
You need to change your login I.D. to "broken record"
Old 07-04-2005, 08:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I declare "broken arrow" from the movie "We were soldiers".

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
You need to change your login I.D. to "broken record"

Quick Reply: CAGS = Blown fuse/check engine light