C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle seal leak @1200 miles...anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About four decades ago three engineers at GM's Tech Center named Bob Dega, Jim Symons and Jack Brown did a lot of hard work advancing seal technology and improving the quality of seals (both radial shaft seals and mechanical face seals) provided to GM by their suppliers. Since that time things have obviously regressed markedly and the seals now purchased and used by GM are once again obviously inferior. Once your GM warrenty runs out you the owner will bear the very considerable costs of replacing all these failed water pumps, engine and drive line seals. Too bad GM is so penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to the seals they purchase.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
mine leaks on the drivers side cover and my dads is in the shop right now getting his fixed his leaks at the trans and on the drivers side

it sure is nice after about 3 miles on the freeway there is oil on the entire back of the car good job gm

im gonna let mine dry out and blow up
Left side (driver side) differential half axle yoke seal leaks were pretty frequent on the C5 gen cars. My 01Z had the same seal replaced 3 times in 49k miles. No leaks anywhere after 45k on my 06Z06. Additionally I don't recall the C6 gen diff axle yoke seals being as big a problem as the C5 so far from my general feel from the Forum. JMHO.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had it at 1,800 miles. It had sat on the dealer's lot for a year before I bought it new in Dec 2009.

oz
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Ounce
Mine had it at 1,800 miles. It had sat on the dealer's lot for a year before I bought it new in Dec 2009.

oz
Seals can go quickly throughout the drive train when a car isn't driven enough. Apparently even with new cars sitting unsold for too long according to your post. I would make the dealer fix every one as you find it.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
trueism
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Rear axial seal leaks

I had to return THREE SEPARATE TIMES for this fix.. I noticed a few drops of gear-oil on my garage floor.. The first time they replaced the trans axial seal. But, the "small" leak continued.. Then it was another seal on an adjacent side? Last week I noticed the same leak on the floor, and I have to take it back again now.. Seals themselves are cheap/they just cost a couple bucks.. However, there are many designs: single-lip, double-lip. As well as many different materials.. The cost for the labor replacing them can be high, depending on what's involved. Plus, it's very easy to re-damage the seal (or bearing) by incorrectly installing it.. I myself (worked for a National distributor of many such bearing and seal Manufacturer's) and have seen hundreds of different seals (and bearings), and the reasons for their use. But I can't expect my Dealer to let me into his shop. All I want is the car fixed completely and correctly.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

My left side axle seal started leaking after swapping to C5 axles. I changed the seal out. The leak continued. I changed the seal a second time. The leak still continued. I replaced the axle AND the seal for a third time and it still leaks. I've been extremely careful with the installations and it makes no difference.

Once I disturbed the factory installation...it simply will not seal correctly.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 PM
RagingGrandpa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Minor question... I found there are two seal part numbers. The seals appear different, but both fit the axle housing and CV's.

Anyone know which is newer?

Quick Reply: Axle seal leak @1200 miles...anyone else?