C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper vs Vette? - whoda thun-kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:45 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Viper vs Vette? - whoda thun-kit

Viper vs. Vette - a question that burns like the phoenix sun....

For more tune into these magazines...

http://sci-mag.com
http://www.corvette-mag.com/

From corvette mag; used without permission, but primarily for education purposes therefore within Copyright ;-)

"The originall L88 Corvette was hot, noisy, impractical, and expensive: No suprise it wasn't a big seller. Today the L88's rarity, combined with a good dose of race history and big-dollar bragging rights, has made it one of the most sought-after cars in existence.

The L88 may still be loud and impratical, but its on-paper excess has been enough to entice many modern Corvette fans into thinking it was the coolest thing ever made! So, what if that kind of excess was still available, brand new, today? Would those same people really be all that eager to take on the noise, the heat and the rest of it, given the chance?

To put that question to the test, we went out and got our hands on the closest thing to a rude, cruide totally unrefined '60s supercar you can buy today: the Dodge Viper SRT10. With 500-plus cubic inches of truck-based V10 making 500 horsepower and nary an electronic control box in sight, this bare-bones roadster even has all the interior heat, sidepipe racket, and sticker shock to the L88s of yore. If sombody really does want another chance at the old days--a second shot at that famous '60s hotrod that they never quite managed to buy new--here it is. Put up or shut up.

Playing opposite the Viper's unruly character is the modern C6, which can be seen as the 2005 version of the L88's period antihero: the '65s mallblock Fuelie. Though less given to tire-smoking grunt than its big-block cousin, this last of the Rochester Corvettes was the best-handling, best-balanced, most usable and in many ways most refined Sting Ray of the '60s--and plenty damned fast to boot. Today, with "just" 400 horses the C6 trades less seat-of-the-pants drama for civility and control that are lightyears ahead of the Dodge."

Read the rest in the magazine...

JK
Old 07-21-2005, 04:39 AM
TruUndrtkr
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't read the article yet but I got the mag in the mail not long ago..
Old 07-21-2005, 11:16 AM
jjohn918
Drifting

Same here. I'll have to pull it out.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 PM
WEEZEL
Racer

I skimmed that issue of Corvette Mag. Interesting article. Who would've thought the Corvette would be the winning pick in a Corvette magazine? Shocking!!! Never saw it coming. My guess is the Vette would've won against a Ferrari Enzo or Carrera GT also and probably just edged out an F-16 when you compare cost to performance ratios. Let me guess, the Viper wins against anything its compared to in Mopar mags. Truly unbiased journalism!

P.S.

My mom has always told me I'm the best son in the whole wide world.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:51 PM
PA Coach
Racer

That's where your wrong, weezel. She told me the same thing.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by PA Coach
That's where your wrong, weezel. She told me the same thing.

Who's your daddy??
Old 07-22-2005, 11:38 AM
WEEZEL
Racer

You don't want my parents. Trust me.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:12 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WEEZEL
I skimmed that issue of Corvette Mag. Interesting article. Who would've thought the Corvette would be the winning pick in a Corvette magazine? Shocking!!! Never saw it coming. My guess is the Vette would've won against a Ferrari Enzo or Carrera GT also and probably just edged out an F-16 when you compare cost to performance ratios. Let me guess, the Viper wins against anything its compared to in Mopar mags. Truly unbiased journalism!

P.S.

My mom has always told me I'm the best son in the whole wide world.

Gotcha - even on the sarcasm about your mom - good one.

However, the article is in line with Fifth Gear as well as the other magazine that I mentioned - Sports Car Internaional Magazine - non-corvette mag. I just mentioned the corvette rag because it would appeal to the group.

Lastly, as you so eloquently started to say "There is a beauty queen out there and every Mother has one." In this case, we really do have a playboy bunny!

JK
Old 07-24-2005, 07:56 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

To hell with articles about cars. Drive them yourself.

I've had the pleasure of driving both cars and in my opinion, the Corvette article is right on target. The Viper is about as close as you get to a street legal race car. It has brutal power and little or no refinemenet. There's no way anyone in their right minds would consider it as a commuter. Although the C6 doesn't have the raw power of the Viper, it still has enough HP to satisfy me and the C6 is comfortable enough to be used as a commuter.

So bottom line, if I wanted a weekend toy, the Viper would be my choice. If I wanted a weekend toy that could also be used as a commuter, the C6 is the clear choice.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:56 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a 2005 Viper Copperhead sitting at a local mall yesterday. They do look nice but not for 88k
Old 07-25-2005, 02:23 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jabez
There is a 2005 Viper Copperhead sitting at a local mall yesterday. They do look nice but not for 88k

Hijacking thread for pictures!!

PICTURES? Did you get a chance to take a shot? Was it in the mall out parked outside? Thanks

JK
Old 07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonkle
With 500-plus cubic inches of truck-based V10
Misleading at best. The Viper engine was not "sports car-able" (way to heavy) until the Lamborghini guys spent several years changing it from a truck engine into a sports car engine. Only about a dozen parts ended up interchangable between the truck engine and the first Viper engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper vs Vette? - whoda thun-kit

Quick Reply: Viper vs Vette? - whoda thun-kit