C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05/06 build quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:02 AM
rjktech
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 46 Posts

Default 05/06 build quality?

As an 05 c6 owner, after closely inspecting an 06, i've noticed the build quality is not as good. carpet issues in the back & paint on underside of deck lid not finished. Also carpet was scored on the side of the trunk for a cut out that was never done.

Has anyone else noticed this drop in quality? perhaps this is an exceptional case.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:47 PM
donsar
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been over my entire car (06 vert) very carefully after driving back from NCM. I really can find no faults in quality of build at all. Hopefully your's is an isolated case. I was impressed during the factory tour at the efforts that went into quality assurance.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:59 PM
AK's Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donsar
I have been over my entire car (06 vert) very carefully after driving back from NCM. I really can find no faults in quality of build at all. Hopefully your's is an isolated case. I was impressed during the factory tour at the efforts that went into quality assurance.
I guess QA missed the paint runs on the C6 Z06 that have been reported already, good thing QA is in the union.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:59 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjktech
As an 05 c6 owner, after closely inspecting an 06, i've noticed the build quality is not as good. carpet issues in the back & paint on underside of deck lid not finished. Also carpet was scored on the side of the trunk for a cut out that was never done.

Has anyone else noticed this drop in quality? perhaps this is an exceptional case.
I suppose if anyone sees hundreds of these cars go by every week, they quickly develop the ability to quickly compare "build quality"...with only one or two samples, I am skeptical of any conclusions.

I am a perfectionist, and I am quick to recognize any deficiencies...I am more likely to complain to everyone that will listen, rather than try to conceal such faults. My 2006 has some minor problems...for example, the paint has too much orange peel. It's the nature of modern finishes...it's caused by low VOC, high solids clears...BMWs, Porsches, etc. also have it, but for some reason, it seems to vary from car to car. The front fascia also has an almost imperceptible bulge on the right side, and I have discussed it here.

Overall, however, I am impressed with the build quality: Body panel gaps are uniform, and closer than in the past; flexible fascias fit well without distortion compared to past models; paint color and metallic content matches very well from panel to panel including the flexible fascias; overall exterior trim fit is good. Interior fit and finish is good; that's not to say the interior is as nice as the most expensive cars, but GM successfully executed what they intended.

You have to understand that in mass produced cars, underside surfaces like the deck lid are not finished to exterior standards, and carpet may be perforated for cuts that are not required in all cars because of options. I don't know if that is what you are seeing, but I'm sure they would typically try to conceal it. These cars are really ALL different at the micro level.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 10-01-2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:13 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a C6 05 coupe since Aug 04, just go my C6 06 A6 9/26. As far a compairing the two the 06 is as good in the quality department as the 05. Matter of fact the 06 has less orange peel and minor knicks on interior plastic parts I had in the 05 are not present in the 06. Carpet and seat quality is fine.

That's my experience owning both and giving both a in-depth inspection.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:31 AM
bubbas929
Instructor

the paint on my deck underside is not finished. i wiped it down yesterday and it just came off
Old 10-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Trumpeter
6th Gear

for $ 60,000 compare the quality of the Corvette, lack of service of the dealership, arrogance of the manufacturer to loyal fanatics as us: and to the Lexus 430 SC ...fit, finish, quality, luxery VIP service, etc etc etc, and I after being,
delayed, whipped around, priced gouged, and told quality was good, Ive got to go the the Lexus......after the drive and the dealership and treatment, and class....there is a substitute for the Vette, Lexus
Old 10-02-2005, 10:20 AM
SDCEB
Pro

I've had my '06 for a week now and I'm very pleased with the build quality. The paint looks very good, with less orange peel than I had on my prior 2 BMW's. The interior is also well done, with good fit and finish. I'm happy with the whole package!

Get notified of new replies

To 05/06 build quality?

Quick Reply: 05/06 build quality?