C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

DIY Oil Change - update -

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Default car lift

Well there is that or get a 4 post car lift.

I am lucky enough to have a car lift that my c6 and my SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee swap places for depending on the weather...the secondary benefit is oil changes are a snap.

www.backyardbuddy.com
Old 07-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size is the oil filter wrench and where did you get it?

Will this work:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Seems like overkill to get the whole set, though.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
maxxvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default c6 oil change

if you look under the car , the drain plug and filter are on the drivers side of the engine . I jack up the passenger side to get all of the oil out ...
Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 PM
ellisjre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY oil change

outstanding post!!!--my 09 c6 owners manual recommends a pf-48 oil filter---for the LS3 engine and 6 qts.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Oil Filters: Some of the motorcycle guys have found Fram's to be "lacking", K&N's were okay, Mobile 1 is better still is Pur 1, for the LS-3 and LS7 its PL12222. Wix is on par with Pur-1. One very noticeable point is the amount of filter paper enclosed. The filters were cut open and the paper laid out side by side, Pur-1 had the most.

As for mileage, my Denali has an oil sensor installed in it too, giving you an idea when the oil is ready to be changed. For me, when it gets to the 50% level I'll change it (or have it changed by a dealer I trust). I won't use the cut-rate outlets. They seem to have trouble remembering to tighten certain oil drain bolts that can wreak havoc with engines, differentials and transfer cases (as the case may be).
Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bonin5
I wonder what the concensus would be on oil filters. I know walmart normally has a very good price on Mobil1 5W30 but they don't carry AC Delco filters. The temptation would be to buy the oil and the equivalent fram filter in one trip.

What's the take on fram filters ? Are they inferior to AC Delco ones ?

Thanks!
FRAM filters are manufactured to be the cheapest filter available. That is the ! I don't want anything to do with their treated cardbord antidrainback valves and money saving fabrication. Saving a few pennies on an oil change for a $60-80K car does not make sense. If you hear clatter when an engine starts (when most engine wear actually occurs) it could be the valve lifters pumping up or maybe it is a dry oiling system because all the oil drained back into the pan because of a cheap oil filter. Sometimes I here this clatter when starting a car after an oil drain & filter change. That why an earlier post asked about being able to pull a fuse, allowing him to crank the starter, build oil pressure and prime the oiling system before really starting the motor.

I have used the Mobil 1 filters with synthetic filter media for years. I run Mobil 1 in all my cars. I have used the Fomoto valves to make things more convenient, but the $30-45 cost and the slower drain and the way the valve hangs down on some cars (not on C6's) have caused me to reconsider. Fumoto valves are not easy to find, except online. I buy the oil at WalMart and the filters at Autozone.

Different states have various recycling laws, but here in Florida most retailers take back the used oil if returned in see thru containers. I recall that in Calfornia, all the quick oil change joints had to accept used oil from inidividuals. I like to patronize AutoZone since I return the used oil there.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change - update -