C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3s---How do you make them for the...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ROADRUNNER
Burned a MP3 disk with 180 tunes, yet only 32x of the tracks will report to the NAV screen, all of them work fine on my computer.
I don't have NAV. When you say 'report', what does that mean? Does it list the first 32 tracks on your screen, and you can't manually progress through the rest of your 180 tunes?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
lovecars
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lcattman
Can Itunes be used to make MP3s? I have all my songs on Itunes and am afraid to lose them or mess them up if I mess with them. Thanks
Yes, you can, I use Itunes also.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:09 PM
LeeWB3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exact Audio Encoder

Most of you guys sound like a simplified program like MusicMatch would be an ideal way to do this fairly simply. Note that people will tell you 128kbps is good enough, but trust me and choose 160 or higher. You "learn" to hear the errors in the music and it starts sounding worse and worse.

For those of you interested in more of a challenge and better quality, use the Lame codec with Exact Audio Copy (see here). Lame at the normal settings uses variable bit rate at about 192kbps and many, many, many sound tests have found it to be the best of the mp3 codecs and at that bit rate almost always indistinguishable from the cd.

I usually rip with exact audio copy and lame and then use MusicMatch to more fully fill in the tag info. I then use MusicMatch's CD burner with the disc type set to mp3. A very, very good tip is to go into Tools/Settings and switch to the MP3 tab. Under "Auto Create Folder Using Tags" select modify and then add Artist Name and Artist Album. The software will then create folders like "/AC-DC/Highway to Hell" to store all the songs from that album in. Then you can easily navigate to the songs you want.

Hopes this helps those who want the best music quality possible....

Last edited by LeeWB3; 12-13-2005 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeWB3
Most of you guys sound like a simplified program like MusicMatch would be an ideal way to do this fairly simply. Note that people will tell you 128kbps is good enough, but trust me and choose 160 or higher. You "learn" to hear the errors in the music and it starts sounding worse and worse.

For those of you interested in more of a challenge and better quality, use the Lame codec with Exact Audio Copy (see here). Lame at the normal settings uses variable bit rate at about 192kbps and many, many, many sound tests have found it to be the best of the mp3 codecs and at that bit rate almost always indistinguishable from the cd.

I usually rip with exact audio copy and lame and then use MusicMatch to more fully fill in the tag info. I then use MusicMatch's CD burner with the disc type set to mp3. A very, very good tip is to go into Tools/Settings and switch to the MP3 tab. Under "Auto Create Folder Using Tags" select modify and then add Artist Name and Artist Album. The software will then create folders like "/AC-DC/Highway to Hell" to store all the songs from that album in. Then you can easily navigate to the songs you want.

Hopes this helps those who want the best music quality possible....
Excellent, thanks!
Will the songs in each folder end up in track or alphabetical order?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:29 PM
LeeWB3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They appear in the alphabetical order by file name so it depends on the naming system you used for the files. In MusicMatch select the files you want to appear in track order and then do Edit / Super Tag / Rename files. In the resulting dialog box I select "-" as the tag seperator and then Track Number and Track Title as fields 1-2. It'll give you a preview below, but you should end up with something like "01-Highway to Hell.mp3". Now whenever you burn those tracks they will appear in order by track number within each folder ("CD") of the disc. This assumes you use the folder stuff I mentioned above. If you put everything in the root directory (which is where the 250 limit probably comes from, btw) use Artist, Album, Track Number and Track Name as fields 1-4. You'll then end up with filenames like AC-DC-Highway to Hell-01-Highway to Hell. Then all the songs on each album will play in order and the albums will play in alphebetical order by artist. It's just more difficult to skip a CD because you have to step through all of the songs one by one instead of jumping by full cds.

Last edited by LeeWB3; 12-13-2005 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Expanding
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this recent post for a simplified way to make MP3s using iTUNES that use folders and filenames.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...70&forum_id=74
Old 02-25-2006, 11:56 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
thumper101
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I had a 2006 C6 W/ a Z51 package.Great car.I love to jam on some clasic tunes while riding around.I made about 200 data disc for it .Sorry forgot to tell you I had a touch screen with nave.All my disc worked great.I traded my c6 coupe in the beginning of feb for a brand new 2009 Z06.I know it is 2010 but the 2009 was still new and I saved a boat load of money.It to has a touch screen radio W / strearing wheel controls to include bluetooth.All the disc will not play correctly.Example 1st file had 17 songs.It ignored the first track,repeated others and only displayed 13 out of 17 tracks.Some somes played fine others not woth a ****.I took it back to the dealer they could not figure it out/blamed it on the computer said it was not formatted out.Since Electronics is my area of experties.That did not fly with me.If it was the wrong format none of the songs would have played.So they said they would check on it.My 2006 took 4 trips for them to figure out they had a bad program in the car.You would think as much as they charge putting in a deceant sound system they could have taking the time to get it right.Please excuse my spelling and grammer I got hurt in the army /one of many things herniated spinal cord and take many meds to includ morphine.My emai is efriedhoff@tampabay.rr.com Thanks Ed
Old 04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Quick question, I just downloaded the newest version of iTunes (Ver 9.1) to my WinXP Dell PC that has a CR burner. Before I start loading my CD collection I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I automatically import ALL my CD's in MP3 format?

2. Do I need any additional software to "RIP" an MP3 CD for my 07 w/nav audio system.

3. My wife has a iPOD and will importing CD in MP3 cause issues with her iPOD Play List?

I'm starting over after a horrible PC crash so we lost all data on my PC.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 04-02-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

who could actually make their mp3 work with the crappy stock nav??? Is there another burner software than media monkey?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

a thread from 2005 nice job
Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

pc windows 7. usually mp3 work like crap i the stock nav so when burning mp3 cd's with Itune it work??
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
who could actually make their mp3 work with the crappy stock nav??? Is there another burner software than media monkey?
Please don't revive old threads. Start a new one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: MP3s---How do you make them for the...