C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor Snow Nor Dark of Night

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor Snow Nor Dark of Night

can stop my C6... Drove to work today after a pretty good ice storm in the Dallas area last night. Worst part was getting out of my driveway. Backing out of the garage I put on the brakes and it kept sliding down hill... But once on the road, even though they were about 50% ice covered, the car motored on with no wheel spin, sliding around or skidding on stops. Now I was going 25-30 where I usually do 40-45, as was everyone else, but even so I was pleased with the drivability of the car on ice. And I have a Z51, about which we have heard so many horror stories about poor traction in less than perfect weather. If you take it easy (and avoid other drivers) the C6 will apparently get you where you want to go.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:08 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default driven on ice,snow...

Blasphamy!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 12-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

You got more nerve than me Big Joe. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of the insurance deductible or broken body parts to go in to work today (Fort Worth). So, I'm going to be sitting by the fireplace reading several Corvette magazines instead!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's the other jerks I worry about.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ben dover
You got that right. I've about 25 years experience driving in Chicago winters so I know how to handle it, but the normal folks down here in TX do not have that luxury. My favorite trick they pull is when approaching a sheet of ice they wait until they are on the ice before they hit the brakes... I make sure I give everyone a lot of room. I actually had a couple SUVs tailgating me for a time before they realized what they were doing. But for the most part everyone was behaving themselves.

Last edited by BigJoe; 12-08-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 AM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drove my '73 4-speed for two winters in Colorado without a problem running regular summer treads.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful out there
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM
franking50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started out with my C6 Z51 saying no driving in the rain and only out on dry days in the Chicago area.Boy did that change,lost the rear a little with just cold roads!,ok now I know, and I love this car just as much as when I bought it but now it's tendered,covered and I swiped the Lexus RX 330 from my wife for 4 mos,gotta love it.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
legalgus
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree. It's your car and you can drive it in any conditions you choose. But, you can't be prepared for the other drivers out there.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Backing out of the garage I put on the brakes and it kept sliding down hill...
That would have been my signal to pull my brand new $55K car right back into the garage and warm up the beater...I also spent a few years in the snow/ice belt, and know there are some circumstances on ice where your experience is of no value in determining the outcome.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Desmoden
Instructor

Default you have ***** that clank and spark...

can stop my C6... Drove to work today after a pretty good ice storm in the Dallas area last night. Worst part was getting out of my driveway. Backing out of the garage I put on the brakes and it kept sliding down hill... But once on the road, even though they were about 50% ice covered, the car motored on with no wheel spin, sliding around or skidding on stops. Now I was going 25-30 where I usually do 40-45, as was everyone else, but even so I was pleased with the drivability of the car on ice. And I have a Z51, about which we have heard so many horror stories about poor traction in less than perfect weather. If you take it easy (and avoid other drivers) the C6 will apparently get you where you want to go.
No way would I drive a rear whell drive car with 400lbs of trq in Ice.
Maybe when I have another decade or two of drivn experience
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
That would have been my signal to pull my brand new $55K car right back into the garage and warm up the beater...I also spent a few years in the snow/ice belt, and know there are some circumstances on ice where your experience is of no value in determining the outcome.
I'm amazed at how many people are telling others that it's okay to drive a Z51 equipped C6 on snow and/or ice. That's just irresponsible. I'll admit that the Supercar tires are worse than the base F1's but, unless you have 4 good snow tires on this car, it is not safe to drive it on snow or ice. That's not to say it can't be driven and controlled in those conditions, it can. As long as you don't have to do anything like brake hard, turn hard, accelerate or go up steep inclines, you may do fine. That just doesn't leave much of a margin of safety. I do drive my C6 in the winter and it's bad enough just dealing with the loss of traction due to cold. I had enough practice, under controlled conditions, driving on snow and ice last winter. I stand by my conclusion...the C6 with the Z51 tires is unsafe to drive on snow and ice. If you insist on doing it, you will eventually wind up off the road with your car.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:21 PM
nuc6z51
Advanced

OH MY!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Good idea, trouble is my C6 is my only car. Only other choice, other than staying home, would be I take my wife's Suburban (which cost $50K BTW, $55K is no big deal these days) and let her drive the Vette... I don't think so. In any event, I knew my driveway would be the worst spot as it is very slopey and had no traffic over night.

In TX all this ice will just be a memory by Friday afternoon anyway...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StanNH
I'm amazed at how many people are telling others that it's okay to drive a Z51 equipped C6 on snow and/or ice. That's just irresponsible. I'll admit that the Supercar tires are worse than the base F1's but, unless you have 4 good snow tires on this car, it is not safe to drive it on snow or ice. That's not to say it can't be driven and controlled in those conditions, it can. As long as you don't have to do anything like brake hard, turn hard, accelerate or go up steep inclines, you may do fine. That just doesn't leave much of a margin of safety. I do drive my C6 in the winter and it's bad enough just dealing with the loss of traction due to cold. I had enough practice, under controlled conditions, driving on snow and ice last winter. I stand by my conclusion...the C6 with the Z51 tires is unsafe to drive on snow and ice. If you insist on doing it, you will eventually wind up off the road with your car.
I certainly didn't want to imply that everyone should rush out the first time it snows to see if they can do it too. It is NOT fun! I just mentioned it because I was surprised to find out the car can be driven, with great care, in such conditions if it has to be. From what I hear on the forum I truly expected to get 10 feet and have to turn around with a completely uncontrollable car. No so. Did I enjoy the ride? No way, I was white knuckled all the way. Would I do it again? Not if I could help it, but I do have to get home...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor Snow Nor Dark of Night

Old 12-08-2005, 12:43 PM
SimpsonH
Pro

I live a few miles west of DFW airport and the C6 is safe in the garage. Too many pickup trucks trying to do 70 on ice to take a chance!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:16 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving home last night on the Tollway in my Tahoe and to work again this morning just reinforced my decision to leave the C6 safely parked in the garage. I witnessed one wreck and saw the aftermath of a couple more. I also heard on the news last night that there were over 125 accidents just last evening and 80 plus were considered "serious" (no DOA's). Having the option to drive something else at times like this is a real blessing. Had I not been so fortunate, I would have thought long and hard before venturing forth in my Vette. It is truly amazing how many "lugnuts" occupy Texas roads in weather like this. I have never seen anything like it anywhere else - and I have lived all over the U.S.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:02 PM
JeffMc
Burning Brakes

This will be my 4th Ohio winter with my vettes.

c5/c6 vettes are one of the best rear wheeled car to drive in challenging weather if:

1) You are using Pilot sports A/S or GY A/S
2) Using TC and AH
3) Have a MN6
4) dont drive in greater than 3" of snow

Quick Reply: Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor Snow Nor Dark of Night