C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
garykossmd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front license plate holder

I recently installed the front license plate bracket that I got from PFYC. It seems a bit loose. I velcroed the horizontal part of the bracket and screwed in the vertical bracket. Has anyone else used a different bracket? I also want to be able to remove the front plate and bracket easily. By law, need a front plate, but it looks so good without one.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that's the one that puts the plate low, I have the same one, but used two pairs of screws. It's pretty solid, but will move up a bit - which is a good thing, as I've used it as a curb feeler once or twice. Probably the best use for a license plate I can think of
Old 12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by garykossmd
I recently installed the front license plate bracket that I got from PFYC. It seems a bit loose. I velcroed the horizontal part of the bracket and screwed in the vertical bracket. Has anyone else used a different bracket? I also want to be able to remove the front plate and bracket easily. By law, need a front plate, but it looks so good without one.
Top Flight Repro at www.topflightrepro.com has a permanent and removable Front License Plate Bracket Assy. The removable detaches very easily. Both mounts look good and are top notch quality.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:27 PM
aero400
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buffy
If that's the one that puts the plate low, I have the same one, but used two pairs of screws...
I think I have the same plate bracket too. The one I have reaches behind the grill and you're supposed to screw it to the back side of the front bumper. But how in the heck do you do this? I can barely get my hand behind the front bumper at all, let alone get a drill and screw driver back there, etc.

I am guessing that something needs to be removed in order to gain access to the back side of the front bumper. If so, exactly what should be removed, and is it difficult to do? The grill? The air filter housing? Any tips on removal?

Once you do gain access to the rear side of the front bumper, I guess the plan would be to drill some holes and then drive self tapping screws into the back side of the front bumper, yes? Or... any other thoughts or ideas?

I'd like to get this bracket on before I get a ticket... and I'm surely not going to use the stock bracket in the stock location because it looks absolutely ridiculous. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Why waste so much money? Drill two hole in the corner of the OEM holder and zip tie it to the grill! The angle that the plate is at can be decreased by trimming the plastic along the edge of the OEM frame. The air flow decrease does not affect anything other than ultimate cooling (track/racing/???) It will surely not affect stop and go summer air flow. It never hits anything since it is above the lowest part of the bumper. I've had the curb feeler mounts and they look like crap after you do that just once.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:37 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC
Top Flight Repro at www.topflightrepro.com has a permanent and removable Front License Plate Bracket Assy. The removable detaches very easily. Both mounts look good and are top notch quality.
Best I've found.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Best I've found.
Nice pic Big Joe, Top Flight Repro all the way!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
jim213
Safety Car

I ordered mine from them about a week ago. They are back ordered until the 15th. Looks like a nice unit.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aero400
I think I have the same plate bracket too. The one I have reaches behind the grill and you're supposed to screw it to the back side of the front bumper. But how in the heck do you do this? I can barely get my hand behind the front bumper at all, let alone get a drill and screw driver back there, etc.

I am guessing that something needs to be removed in order to gain access to the back side of the front bumper. If so, exactly what should be removed, and is it difficult to do? The grill? The air filter housing? Any tips on removal?

Once you do gain access to the rear side of the front bumper, I guess the plan would be to drill some holes and then drive self tapping screws into the back side of the front bumper, yes? Or... any other thoughts or ideas?

I'd like to get this bracket on before I get a ticket... and I'm surely not going to use the stock bracket in the stock location because it looks absolutely ridiculous. Thank you.
Sounds like a pain in the ****, The Top Flight Repro Bracket is very easy to install, no
Old 12-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jim213
I ordered mine from them about a week ago. They are back ordered until the 15th. Looks like a nice unit.
Jim, obviously you have excellent taste
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
garykossmd
Advanced

What is an OEM frame?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 PM
jim213
Safety Car

Jim, obviously you have excellent taste
Thanks, and you as well.

They just look like a well made unit. I actually ordered the removable one because I want to remove it when I run with my bra on the car.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Thanks, and you as well.

They just look like a well made unit. I actually ordered the removable one because I want to remove it when I run with my bra on the car.

They are very well made! It would be nice to see pics of you running in the bra
Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aero400

You don't need to take anything off, but lifting the front of the car helps a whole lot. Also, you'll want two Phillips screwdrivers, a stubby one for the vertical screws and a medium-long one for the horizontal screws. The screws that came with mine are quite sharp, and drill their own holes in the soft plastic. It's just a matter of getting your arm up in there to do it! A screw-holding driver might be handy too, although I didn't use one.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:29 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto... Will hold off putting it on until a friendly LEO insists that I do so.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garykossmd
What is an OEM frame?
Scroll to bottom of page
Old 12-08-2005, 08:45 PM
JWLaRue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am the first one to have installed the removeable TopFlightRepro bracket....

Here's a close-up of the permanent part of the mount. It mounts on the underside of the opening. You have to be down at the level of the bumper opening and right up to it to see this:

Now I can have it both ways!

-Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate holder

Old 12-08-2005, 08:48 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Best I've found.
I have posted this before but I must say this is the best front plate setup I have seen. It helps that it is a white plate and frame on a white car.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I have posted this before but I must say this is the best front plate setup I have seen. It helps that it is a white plate and frame on a white car.
and very sexy!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:23 PM
jim213
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JWLaRue
I think I am the first one to have installed the removeable TopFlightRepro bracket....

Here's a close-up of the permanent part of the mount. It mounts on the underside of the opening. You have to be down at the level of the bumper opening and right up to it to see this:

Now I can have it both ways!

-Jeff

How difficult is it to remove and reinstall the mount?

Quick Reply: Front license plate holder