C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM nose mask

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 06:36 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM nose mask

Anybody have a nose mask for their C6? If so, what brand, and where did you buy it?

I just bought one from Corvette Central with the C6 logo on it. It came in a GM box and is listed as a genuine GM accesory. But the damn thing has hard plastic clips that fix it to the nose just in front of the hood seam. The clips are supposed to snap on at the seam. I'm having a very hard time believing that it will NOT damage the paint.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? I need a good nose mask. Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Fred C. Dobbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Colgan. The first fitting was the hardest. After that the material forms to fit the nose. It too has plastic clips and hooks so I am careful attaching it. I always take it off before washing the car.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:53 PM
orion007
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove
Anybody have a nose mask for their C6? If so, what brand, and where did you buy it?

I just bought one from Corvette Central with the C6 logo on it. It came in a GM box and is listed as a genuine GM accesory. But the damn thing has hard plastic clips that fix it to the nose just in front of the hood seam. The clips are supposed to snap on at the seam. I'm having a very hard time believing that it will NOT damage the paint.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? I need a good nose mask. Suggestions?

Thanks
I personally would never put one of those on my C6. I have heard nothing but horror stories about bras scratching and rubbing paint off not to metion their overall unattractiveness. Have you considered a clearbra? Not only will you C6 look great but it will keep you paint factory fresh. It cost a little more but you can never replace the original factory paint.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:56 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove

Thanks

I have been using Colgan for years. Never a problem. Takes 5 minutes to intall.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:04 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the same GM bra you're having trouble with. The first time is the hardest. Just be careful. Mines been on for 7k miles, no damage, great fit.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:11 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

I have the GM, it has worked fine. The clips attach down inside the hood area, if the material is warm it's much easier to stretch. I put the side snaps on first, then the bottom and then grill area. The inside hood clips are last so I can pull up on the material and attach them. Have driven in the rain a few times and always removed and dry the car once home, make sure the inside of the cover is always clean and you should be good to go. Saw Hoffie's car at Carlisle and liked the ease of install and a lot cheaper than others. I was worried at first, but no problems. Any you use will protect the front end.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:03 PM
talldude67
Pro

Default front bra

COLGAN w/crossflags cutout...[PR1343.01] the only one to buy, install in warm temp for a sure fit....
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Thanks for the info everyone, I feel better now.

Wayne
Old 02-20-2006, 01:08 PM
RacerChris
Burning Brakes

How about Speed Lingerie! They have Bras that are color matched to your Corvette! I have one on my 2001 Yellow C5 and it looks great! Top quality, but unfortunately a price to match!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:59 PM
4G63
7th Gear

Did you ever think about a 3M clearbra? I just did one the other day with 3M's new 3rd generation film and you can't hardly see it on the car.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

4G63, does that cover the bottom half of the hood, or just the bumper? I'd imagine it would be more visible than that if it was on the hood, no?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:13 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4G63
Did you ever think about a 3M clearbra? I just did one the other day with 3M's new 3rd generation film and you can't hardly see it on the car.

Nice match on the truck and car.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:59 AM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4G63

wow, i can barely see it. ill have to get one of those. install easy?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
clouddancer
Instructor

Default Colgan bra

I bought the Colgan based on advice here. first install was hard to get the two top side pieces at wheel wells to attach. Also, when putting the two pieces into place at the headlights, the rubber grommets around the headlight lense pushed down into the space between light and fender and can't get them back into position.

finally, after running 75 - 90 mph on the freeway (drove from NCM in BG to Northern NV) the pieces that slip between the headlight and fender would not stay in place. Had to take the bra off to keep these pieces from flapping and harming paint.

turned out to be good timing as we ran into rain right after that in west Texas.

I will be talking to Colgan about this issue. Otherwise, very happy with the Colgan bra.

Also plan to go to the 3M now that I am home and can get it installed by a local installer that can stand behind the product/install.

Last edited by clouddancer; 03-12-2006 at 11:48 AM. Reason: add text
Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by 54greg
I have the same GM bra you're having trouble with. The first time is the hardest. Just be careful. Mines been on for 7k miles, no damage, great fit.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred C. Dobbs
I use a Colgan. The first fitting was the hardest. After that the material forms to fit the nose. It too has plastic clips and hooks so I am careful attaching it. I always take it off before washing the car.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

No nose mask for me Wayne. An older car I had with one ended up rubbing and marring all the paint under there...no matter WHAT I did to keep it clean and dry. Good luck.

I like the cleartastic idea though.

Get notified of new replies

To GM nose mask

Old 03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
jdavis
Drifting

Originally Posted by RacerChris
How about Speed Lingerie! They have Bras that are color matched to your Corvette! I have one on my 2001 Yellow C5 and it looks great! Top quality, but unfortunately a price to match!
The SL bra is an excellent product, I had a colored one on my C5 and it worked well for me. My C6 has a color matched silver Colgan bra. I like it more than the SL because price is better, installation is quicker, the color match is more to my liking, fit is great, and it doesn't have the ugly mesh over the grill area.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:50 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jdavis
The SL bra is an excellent product, I had a colored one on my C5 and it worked well for me. My C6 has a color matched silver Colgan bra. I like it more than the SL because price is better, installation is quicker, the color match is more to my liking, fit is great, and it doesn't have the ugly mesh over the grill area.
Colgan nose protector. No movement at 100 MPH . Car and nose protector was used as a test vehicle. Colgan in front of me paced me to 100 watching for any flapping or lifting. There was none. Fourth product from them with no problem. I only use it on trips...

Old 03-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

I have a GM bra I use for road trips. I also have a clear bra installed on the front clip, headlights & driving lights. I put on the bra for the trips I know I'm going to get lots of bugs on the bumper. Then I clean and remove the bra when I get to my destination. Put it back on for the trip home. Very easy clean up!

Quick Reply: GM nose mask