C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learn to drive your C6 - at Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 05:03 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Learn to drive your C6 - at Spring Mountain

A bunch of us just completed week one training at Spring Mountain. What a blast!

Our classmate Kirk "The hammer" did a great review over in the Z06 section- he and his pal Pete paid extra to rent new Z06s for the class -

I have combined his day by day reviews here for you C6 guys who might not make it over to that section.

Some pictures from the class

http://photobucket.com/albums/c241/u...rue&interval=4

Kirks DAY 1 Review

We were in the classroom for about 45 mins, then vehicle orientation, then out to the cars. I am on my way back for day 2, and I'll give a more comprehensive report on the experience when I'm back home and have more time. I can tell you that yesterday (day 1) I was in the Z06 for 75% of the day. The first exercise is pulling the ABS control fuse out of the vehicle and accellerating toward watered-down pavement. Learning threshold breaking, object avoidance, etc. Then the fuse goes back in and wet-pavement braking/steering is perfected before moving on. You really learn how the 22 computers in this car work in unison. Also learned on day 1...heel-toe shifting exercise (tougher than it looks I must say!), skid car (this was a blast to experience!) in a Dodge Stratus w/ hydraulic skid inducer equipment, oval track in a regular C6 (this is done with an instructor right seat and they teach the proper "line"), then back in the Z06 for "follow me around the track". At one point, the instructor gets in the car with you, he drives around the track to "show you" the best line to take and where to shift, etc. This is at a much faster pace than you would expect.

Most of the "classroom work" is done while you're in the car. They have a 2-way radio and everything is explained throughout the day by the instructors. The talk to you..."Kirk, accellerate to 60mph, at the first cone impact the breaks, look up at the horizon, don't stare at the cone,.....that was ok, but do you see what happened here... etc. etc.

BTW, this is the second Z06 that I've had the privelage of breaking in now. I got in the yellow Z06 in the morning to find 423 miles on it :-) What a treat!

Kirks Day 2 Review

Ok...day 2!
First of all, Pahrump NV gets rain about one day a year. That was yesterday. I thought I would be disappointed because the track would be very slick, no speed, etc. Man oh man was I wrong! It was a huge benefit because Spring Mountain treats rain as any other day. And the confidence you build after driving the Z06 hard in slick conditions is mind-blowing. Prior to this class, I was a bit intimidated to drive the Z in the rain, especially at highway speeds plus. The track at Spring Mountain has a few uneven spots in it where puddles had formed, etc. The skills learned will probably save my life someday.

We started day 2 in the classroom again, about 30-45 minutes reviewing what we did on day 1 as well as going over in greater detail the "map" of the track, best lines, shift points, etc. Then out to the cars again. Everyone fired up their Corvettes, and we all followed to the back stretch for more high-speed heel toe shift practice, which perfection is the goal. This lasted for at least an hour during which time an instructor hops in your car to see how you're progressing. Then back to the classroom to discuss the "follow-me" track time. We were broken into groups of 3 or 4 and put with an instructor. My group included my business partner (he also had a new Z06) and one of my clients (who had a C5 Z06). Jordan, our instructor, talked us around the track as we warmed up. The track became imprinted on our minds. It is raining pretty good now and the wipers go from intermitent to constant as Jordan starts to pick up the pace. He tells us to "follow his line" and pay special attention to breaking, throttle for balance, and line position going through the turns. Confidence in the Z06 is building rapidly and I can tell you from personal experience that if this car is kept in a balanced state, it handles extremely well in the rain! Of course, we keep the ACH turned on. We continued to pick up the pace and drove like this until lunch. The rain stopped, gorgous blue skies above and we ate for an hour. Oh ya, one guy in a C6 spun out on turn 4 and we had a debriefing from Victor about what happened so all of us could learn from his mistake.

After lunch the track was completely dry and outside temps were building. More follow-me for the remainder of the day, except the pace was starting to increase even more. Our group in the Z06's kept catching the other groups and they would pull over and let us by. Even though we were driving harder and faster, confidence in the Z was building even more. This car is unbelievable on the track! Two more guys went off the track, turn 3. We all drove to turn 3 so Victor could again learn from the mistakes. Nobody got hurt, just their pride. Cars didn't get hurt either, inspection...then back on the track they go.

Toward the end of the day, Jordan moves you to "leader" and drives behind you, critiquing your methods around the track. Here is where I screwed up! First of all, you're not going to outrun your instructor. I picked up the pace quite a bit, and it was a lot harder getting things right without Jordan in front to watch. The Z06 will leave the other Corvettes in the dust, especially after turn 7 and down the back straight. You can get the Z to 120+, then trail break into turn 8. But now things are happening much quicker than I thought. I started missing shifts, missing my line in the corners, too much brake, active handling going off to save my bacon, and Jordan telling me everything I was doing wrong on the radio. Time to slow it down a bit.

We parked our cars, and not until then did I realize how fatiqued I was. This is work, both physical and mental. I couldn't think straight toward the end and the instructors realize this. Class dismissed.

I'm on my way for day 3 now.

Kirks Day 3 review

All done with Day 3. This has been one of the most memorable experiences of my life!

I need to bring up the safety thing for a sec. Everyone, including myself, believes they are a safe driver. New Corvette, huge brakes, airbags everywhere, active handling, etc. The biggest and most important safety component wasn't included with the purchase of your car...training! Those on this forum that have gone through professional driving courses will probably agree with this unanomously. After you plunk down the $$ and time to go through Spring Mountains' course, you'll understand this, and with a completely different perspective.

Here is how the last day panned out. We met for more classroom time, again about a 45 min. session, discussing and reviewing all that had been learned over the previous two days. We watched some on-track video footage as Victor pointed out some additional key points of the track. I also saw with my own two eyes a Porsche boasting a Chevy bowtie on the back and front of his car...but that's another story. He went over basics again before we went back out to our real classroom, in my case a Velocity Yellow C6-Z06 (now with 600+ miles on it). First exercise of the day was a repeat of yesterday...out to the back stretch which follows turn 7. We all lined up and one-by-one accellerated to 65 MPH toward the cone zone set up just before turn 8. The goal was to demonstrate perfect heel-toe downshifting and smooth braking. Repetition. We ran our cars up and back for about 45mins. Oh ya, at some point, an instructor manifests in the right seat to watch your technique up close and give you additional pointers. During this, he also takes you out on the track, to see how you do in track conditions. After pitting the cars, we gather around and Victor throws us a loop! I thought I had this whole track memorized until we were release onto the track, one-by one without an instructor, but going the wrong way. We were given a speed limit of 45 mph and asked to read the track and try to figure out where the apex was. Very interesting exercise!!

Next we are broken up into 3 groups, each again with an instructor leading. Around the track (the right way this time), it is apparent our pace is quick but not flat out. The goal is to perfect entry and exit of the turns on the track, proper braking, shifts, and everything we've learned necessary for balance.

Everyone is looking more polished than before and Victor has us head back to the classroom. He tells us it's time to turn us loose. We go over some last minute theory, some SCCA stuff like flag identification, and our "rules" while on the track by ourselves - passing for instance - ,etc. We head out to the track where our cars had been topped off with fuel, we're given helmets and cut loose one by one. We're allowed to drive as fast as we want, but with the insurance deductable looming in the back of your mind as the back end loosens up, it's quite easy to keep things in perspective and do exactly as taught. We're racing around the course, and instructors are inconspicuously placed at several points of the track, watching. Victor is on the radio giving individual critique if you miss an apex as well as reminding to check your mirrors if someone is behind you. The two C6 Z06's on the track clearly out-power the rest, so just about every time on the back stetch we're passing a C6 or C5-Z06...officially identified by the rest of the students as the guys with the "cheater cars". The new C6 Z06 accellerates out of turn 7 full-force toward turn 8. Speeds in this 1850' stretch climb rapidly to 120+ mph. There is some pucker factor if you don't know when or how much to brake here because turn 8,9 and 10 are tight and must be precise to negotiate the proper apex. There were 4 sessions, all lasted 20-30 minutes. I elected to park my car for the 4th session as I felt fatigue setting in.

Even though I was fortunate to have one of the C6 Z06 for the 3 days, everyone was given an opportunity to do some laps in the new Z06 to experience what some of us have sitting in our garage!

The last surprise of the day will last in my mind forever! We're all standing in the pits and given a choice by Victor to either A: do some more laps in our cars, but not at full pace. Or B: Victor, Kenny and Jordan will do some "hot laps" with us, but then the day is over. Everyone elects to do hot laps. These guys drive Corvettes on this track everyday and hot laps are conducted at a mind-blowing pace. Helmet on, I buckle into the right seat of my VY Z06, Victor w/ helmet on straps in the driver seat. Kenny and Jordan have students in the two Z's behind us. Victor keys over the 2-way radio, "Let's go boys, keep it on the track, ok?" These professional drivers disengage the full AHC and put it in "comp mode" which I learned allows the car to unhook up to 6 degrees before intervening. We did 3 laps at what these guys call 90%. I witnessed the new Z06's do things I didn't think possible. The pace was quick enough to make breathing labored and my grip on the right door handle probably left an impression. I found myself holding my breath while the high closure rate to a corner was perfectly managed by precision braking, heel-toe downshifting, all while maintaining balance and maximum control. By the way, the other two Z's were right behind us...maybe one or two car lengths. All three of us rip around turn 10 as if in single file, maximum accelleration past the rest of the studens watching this demonstration as we head back toward turn 1. Each student was given an opportunity to experience this. I got two things out of that demonstration. First, the training we were just taught was exactly what these guys used. Second, this new Z06 isn't just fast, it's REALLY fast in the twists.

Even after 3 days of training and about 300+ miles of driving around the Spring Mountain track, the Z06 in my garage can give me more than I am capable of handling. But now...I know how much to ask for

I met a couple guys from this forum and we had a great time. I can't speak for their experience, but everyone seemed to enjoy and benefit from the course. I will be back again, next is Level 2.

Last edited by tjfontaine; 03-05-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:13 PM
dgrawr
Instructor

Old 03-05-2006, 05:27 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

How much does that cost !

Would love to do it !
Old 03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Wait until I get back from BOTH Level 1 and Level 2 starting next Thursday with Level2. I will be doing TONS of video footage from both classes, from up to 4 angles per run.

Just got the suspension cam working today. Here's a rough sample.

www.fldatawiz.com/rotorcam.wmv

Keep an eye out, the videos are going to ROCK!!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by burtonbl103

Would love to do it !
www.springmountainmotorsports.com

Old 03-05-2006, 05:35 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by burtonbl103

Would love to do it !
DO IT!!

You won't regret it .... one of THE most fun things I have done in my life so far ...!!

Craig - looking forward to those videos!! Try and drive the A6 when you are there...
Old 03-05-2006, 05:36 PM
RedC6Jezybel
Instructor

Sounds like a fantastic experience!!! My brother and I are going to the May 1,2,3 class. Nice to have an idea of how much fun it will be!!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
DO IT!!

You won't regret it .... one of THE most fun things I have done in my life so far ...!!

Craig - looking forward to those videos!! Try and drive the A6 when you are there...
By the way, thanks for the shifting tip on the A4 which can't accelerate out of the turns. I started taking turns manually in 2nd gear and it works just like you said. 3rd does not, but 2nd does. There may still be hope for my car yet.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Here's another sample I put together:

http://www.fldatawiz.com/SpringMountainSamples.wmv
Old 03-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Hey Tom,

You drove the same car #10 that I did last October! Wow, the new facilities look awesome! I can't wait to see them.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:02 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

The last surprise of the day will last in my mind forever! We're all standing in the pits and given a choice by Victor to either A: do some more laps in our cars, but not at full pace. Or B: Victor, Kenny and Jordan will do some "hot laps" with us, but then the day is over. Everyone elects to do hot laps. These guys drive Corvettes on this track everyday and hot laps are conducted at a mind-blowing pace. Helmet on, I buckle into the right seat of my VY Z06, Victor w/ helmet on straps in the driver seat. Kenny and Jordan have students in the two Z's behind us. Victor keys over the 2-way radio, "Let's go boys, keep it on the track, ok?" These professional drivers disengage the full AHC and put it in "comp mode" which I learned allows the car to unhook up to 6 degrees before intervening. We did 3 laps at what these guys call 90%. I witnessed the new Z06's do things I didn't think possible. The pace was quick enough to make breathing labored and my grip on the right door handle probably left an impression. I found myself holding my breath while the high closure rate to a corner was perfectly managed by precision braking, heel-toe downshifting, all while maintaining balance and maximum control. By the way, the other two Z's were right behind us...maybe one or two car lengths. All three of us rip around turn 10 as if in single file, maximum accelleration past the rest of the studens watching this demonstration as we head back toward turn 1. Each student was given an opportunity to experience this. I got two things out of that demonstration. First, the training we were just taught was exactly what these guys used. Second, this new Z06 isn't just fast, it's REALLY fast in the twists.
This is the GRAND FINALE that I plan on video taping with 4 video sources. Riding with Victor is an UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE.

Your write-up was superb. I felt like I was there again. 3 more days and I'm on my way back.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Crush2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Datawiz
Here's another sample I put together:

http://www.fldatawiz.com/SpringMountainSamples.wmv
Looks great, but get those hands back at 9 and 3. If the airbag deploys, besides shattering your forearm into lots of little pieces to render it useless, some of those bone fragments will impact your face. I'm just repeating what we were told at SM by one of the instructors. I'm inclined to believe him. A6 drivers need hands at 9 and 3 for shifting, too.

I will be anxiously awaiting the videos, they look fantastic, wish we had had them in our class (Feb27-Mar1), especially the off-track stuff! (Tom, I did not mention your name! Or Mark's. Or...)
Old 03-05-2006, 06:30 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Kudos go to classmate KIRK Hammersmith who hangs out in the Z06 forum - I can't wait to see how those vids turn out ...

Craig we must have the same taste in cars - your A4 Black C6 has the same exact options as mine if I recall!! Actually I would love to take mine on the SM track - but, I should be set to do one more more track events at Brainerd here in MN which is a BIG FAST track. No heel-toe to mess me up (wide feet).

Dana - cheap shot!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Kudos go to classmate KIRK Hammersmith who hangs out in the Z06 forum - I can't wait to see how those vids turn out ...

Craig we must have the same taste in cars - your A4 Black C6 has the same exact options as mine if I recall!! Actually I would love to take mine on the SM track - but, I should be set to do one more more track events at Brainerd here in MN which is a BIG FAST track. No heel-toe to mess me up (wide feet).

Dana - cheap shot!
Not only that, but we bought them on the exact same day from Kerbeck. How weird is that?

Black/Black
Z51
NAV
XM
1SB
Transparent Top
Polished Wheels

No Onstar, No solid top.

I considered taking my C6 to SM for this trip, but at an 8 day trip, driving would have added at least 6 days and 6,000 miles to my car. Spring Mountain is going to give me plenty of seat time, even during the Level 1 that I will be filming and not "officially" participating in, so it did not make sense to take mine out there. I think I'm going to try Moroso in Miami for my own car.

Had it not been for you telling me about turning in 2nd gear, that would never be possible. I can't believe GM hasn't figured out how to fix that damn A4 shifting issue in hard turns.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Crush2
Looks great, but get those hands back at 9 and 3. If the airbag deploys, besides shattering your forearm into lots of little pieces to render it useless, some of those bone fragments will impact your face. I'm just repeating what we were told at SM by one of the instructors. I'm inclined to believe him. A6 drivers need hands at 9 and 3 for shifting, too.

I will be anxiously awaiting the videos, they look fantastic, wish we had had them in our class (Feb27-Mar1), especially the off-track stuff! (Tom, I did not mention your name! Or Mark's. Or...)

It's a little tough to keep your hands at 9 and 3 when you're holding a video camera. I promise, when I'm out at SM, I'll have the windshield cam mounted so I can keep my hands on the wheel.

BTW, did you ever get "fined" for having your hands in the wrong position?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:46 PM
PaBlueCoupe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09

Thanks for the post!

I'm scheduled for level #1 at Spring Mountain for the end of April, and can't wait to learn to handle and appreciated the C6 more. Sounds like the $s are well spent.

Get notified of new replies

To Learn to drive your C6 - at Spring Mountain

Old 03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

For our newer members, or those who didn't see it the first time around, check out this 21 minute high-res video from Spring Mountain last October. (Level 1)

http://www.fldatawiz.com/Spring%20Mo...%20Tribute.wmv

The last segment of the video is the ride with the instructors mentioned above. Albeit with one camera. The one I'll do next week will have 4 CAMERAS!

Dial-up, don't waste your time...80MB.

Craig
Old 03-05-2006, 06:59 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice thread. I plan to do it this summer if time permits.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

DO IT!!

I would love too mabye at the end of the summer

Quick Reply: Learn to drive your C6 - at Spring Mountain