C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM/McGard Wheel Locks Out of Balance

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default GM/McGard Wheel Locks Out of Balance

My salesman gave me a set of the GM wheel locks for the C6, they are made by McGard but have GM packaging and GM part #12498078. This is verified as the correct part for a C6.

The back of the package says "Precision weight matched to maintain wheel balance".

But when I took one out, they felt heavier than a normal C6 nut. So I got out the scale-

Locking wheel nut= 947 grains
Standard wheel nut= 771 grains
Difference= 176 grains. That's about the same additional weight as a Quarter plus two Dimes.

Of course the out-of-balance weight is fairly close to the center of the axle (about 2 1/4"), so it's less serious than if on the rim
(about 7 3/4"). If you use the ratios, it's about the same as 52 grains out on the rim where the balance weights are located. Similar to taking 1 and 1/2 dimes and glueing them alongside your balance weights. Can anyone say if that difference would be noticeable?

There may be better wheel locks, and you can argue that no wheel lock is very effective. Other threads have beaten that subject to death, let's just look at the balance problem. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Meaning of Precision Balanced missunderstood

I think they mean that each replacement lug nut is the same weight, so that the new lug nuts won't throw your wheels out of balance. Precision weight matched means that all of the lugs in the package are the same weight as each other. It does not imply they are the same weight as your OEM lug nuts.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Unlike some companies, the GM/McGard locks come in a set of 4 for the car. That means one per wheel, so the locks need to be the same weight as a standard wheel nut.

If they sold a set of 20 for the car, then your idea would be correct. Unfortunately, they don't do it that way.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 03-30-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:36 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have wheel locks that came with the car (dealer installed I assume, but he didn't change extra... ) they are obviously bigger, so I assume heavier, than the stock lugs. I haven't noticed any out of balance feel at speeds ranging from 5 to 100. I doubt that little bit of weight would make much difference.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:54 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Your C6s didn't come standard with wheel locks though right?
Mine doesn't have them.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:08 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds to me like McGard should lay off empty marketing bilge.

My past experience in rotating equipment says a lug nut will have virtually no affect on wheel balance. As you said, the location is too close to the center of the wheel. In fact, I haven't tried it, but I have a hunch you could leave a lug nut completely off, and it would have little effect on wheel balance. Whatever happened to GGWoody?...he'd try anything.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Your C6s didn't come standard with wheel locks though right?
Mine doesn't have them.
The cars roll out of the plant without wheel locks, we did NCM delivery on ours and it had no locks. The salesman gave me the set after we got home because they normally put them on every 'vette in the lot; he didn't want me to feel slighted.

We need someone who works balancing tires to tell us how a 52 grain imbalance at the rim would feel. To make it easier for him, perhaps someone can convert 52 grains to whatever unit they use for the weights, probably grams.

Or someone with well-balanced tires could go run at 120 mph on a smooth road to feel what it's like, then glue a 52 grain weight to the rim and make another run. Post the results here, I'll buy you a beer (OK, two beers) if we meet.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:14 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
To make it easier for him, perhaps someone can convert 52 grains to whatever unit they use for the weights, probably grams.
Here's my contribution to this project: 52 grains = 3.37 grams =0.119 ounces

For this small mass to make any difference, even at full OD of the wheel, balance weights would have to be denominations of 0.1 ounce. To the best of my recollection, the smallest denomination of the old clamp on style weights was 0.25 ounces. Anyone know the mass of one of those stick-on weight segments?

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 03-30-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Assuming they're mostly lead, and measuring as best I can under poor circumstances the stick-on things should be around 10 grams, or pretty close to 1/4 ounce.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:50 PM
ZeusC6
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

My salesman gave me a set of the GM wheel locks for the C6, they are made by McGard but have GM packaging and GM part #12498078. This is verified as the correct part for a C6.

The back of the package says "Precision weight matched to maintain wheel balance".

But when I took one out, they felt heavier than a normal C6 nut. So I got out the scale-

Locking wheel nut= 947 grains
Standard wheel nut= 771 grains
Difference= 176 grains. That's about the same additional weight as a Quarter plus two Dimes.

Of course the out-of-balance weight is fairly close to the center of the axle (about 2 1/4"), so it's less serious than if on the rim
(about 7 3/4"). If you use the ratios, it's about the same as 52 grains out on the rim where the balance weights are located. Similar to taking 1 and 1/2 dimes and glueing them alongside your balance weights. Can anyone say if that difference would be noticeable?

There may be better wheel locks, and you can argue that no wheel lock is very effective. Other threads have beaten that subject to death, let's just look at the balance problem. Thanks.
Given this information, it would make sense to put the locking lug opposite from the wheel sensor?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:08 PM
BKNIMKR
Safety Car

Location: Chino Hills, Ca. You are completely safe with me, I'm a good screamer.

Gearhead Jim,

I won't even pretend to know what you are describing. Its too techy for me. However, when wheels are balanced, they are, of course, balanced without the lugs. If they are that close to the center of the hub, would it matter much? Or would a "proper" balance include the lugs? Or are the wheels balanced based on the assumption that all the lugs will weigh the same? Sorry, just trying to participate here.

martin
Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I have wheel locks that came with the car (dealer installed I assume, but he didn't change extra... ) they are obviously bigger, so I assume heavier, than the stock lugs. I haven't noticed any out of balance feel at speeds ranging from 5 to 100. I doubt that little bit of weight would make much difference.
I've had them on all my cars for the last 20 years. (I hate surprises late at night - returning to my car on blocks) I've never noticed a balance problem - either by vibration or tire wear.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

I took a close look at the factory stick-on weights on my 2006 Coupe, they are stamped:
.25 Fe
Would than mean .25 gram? .25 oz?

BKNIMKR-
Yes, the wheels are usually balanced without the nuts, they assume that each nut has the same weight. Usually that's true, but not for this case. And as discussed, "x" amount of imbalance near the hub is less important than the same amount out on the rim. I'm just trying to figure out if it's significant here.

ZeusC6-
Haven't checked the C6, but on my C5 the factory wheels had a slightly thicker spoke opposite the sensors, presumably to get the balance about right. Of course the balance weights do the final adjustment.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:13 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

I took a close look at the factory stick-on weights on my 2006 Coupe, they are stamped:
.25 Fe
Would than mean .25 gram? .25 oz?
I don't know about the 0.25, but the "FE" may be a date code. I would expect the denomination to be metric, but it could be in English units, or 0.25 ounce. The Big Dog may let the tail wag it to save a few bucks.

What month was your car built? I was Rejexing my wheels today and noted that the balance weights on my wheels were marked "0.25 FG". Since my car was built 9/17/05, "F" could be the year, and "G" could be the month.

Typically, in GM's date coding system, "E" = May, and "G" = July; July manufacture of the balance weights would make sense for my car. However, if "F" is the year, then the year sequence would had to have to started in 1999 (=A), which is not an obvious choice. Note that date codes are always based on the calender year...not the model year.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BKNIMKR
Gearhead Jim,

I won't even pretend to know what you are describing. Its too techy for me. However, when wheels are balanced, they are, of course, balanced without the lugs. If they are that close to the center of the hub, would it matter much? Or would a "proper" balance include the lugs? Or are the wheels balanced based on the assumption that all the lugs will weigh the same? Sorry, just trying to participate here.

martin

I do also remember reading the manual on a 1988 Mustang GT that came with factory wheel locks saying something to the same effect that the wheel lock must be placed in a certain position in order to balance properly. Now some 18 years it is coming up again? who really pays attention to this stuff anymore...if we had to have everything in such a way we would need to take alot more Prozac, Zoloft, and pills if we worried about every little thing
Old 04-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

My car was built 02-06-06, and I have a set of polished take-off wheels from a C6 that was supposed to have been built in 01-06. Both have the Fe code on the weights, although in some light it looks like Fg (but it IS Fe).

It would seem strange for them to date code the weights, but I've seen stranger things.

Dang it, I may have to just install the wheel locks and see if I get a vibration. The problem is that there is always SOME vibration, less is better. Hoping that someone can give an answer from the weight/distance numbers.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:22 PM
cortnjeff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fe is the chemistry symbol for iron, I'm guessing the balance weights are made of iron.

Get notified of new replies

To GM/McGard Wheel Locks Out of Balance

Old 04-02-2006, 03:16 PM
routesixtysix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlike some companies, the GM/McGard locks come in a set of 4 for the car. That means one per wheel, so the locks need to be the same weight as a standard wheel nut.

If they sold a set of 20 for the car, then your idea would be correct. Unfortunately, they don't do it that way.
If you go to the pfyc.com web site they advertise a complete McGard wheel lug set including the lock lugs for $45.99. It called a wheel installation kit. I just bought the locks from them and they arrived in a couple of days.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

routesixtysix-
Did you notice any vibration after installing the locks, with the GM nuts still on the other 4 studs? That's the big issue, I don't give a hoot about exactly what things weigh if they work OK. It just seems that the weight difference could be enough to cause problems. $45.99 for the set of 4 locks and 16 nuts sounds like a great deal, my local dealer charges over $7.00 retail for just one regular nut. Even if you can get the GM nuts for $5.00 each that comes to $100 for all 20 nuts and you don't get any locks.

On the other hand, if the McGard locks are not weighted properly to equal the GM nuts, I wonder if they weight-match the McGard nuts. The McGard nuts would need to be 176 grains HEAVIER each, that's a lot. 176 grains is about the weight of a complete 9mm cartridge.

cortnjeff-
I wondered about that Fe symbol also, but I can't believe they make the weights out of iron. They could coat them but no coating lasts forever. The customers will not be happy when their polished or chromed wheels start to get rust stains some day.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
routesixtysix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

routesixtysix-
Did you notice any vibration after installing the locks, with the GM nuts still on the other 4 studs? That's the big issue, I don't give a hoot about exactly what things weigh if they work OK. It just seems that the weight difference could be enough to cause problems. $45.99 for the set of 4 locks and 16 nuts sounds like a great deal, my local dealer charges over $7.00 retail for just one regular nut. Even if you can get the GM nuts for $5.00 each that comes to $100 for all 20 nuts and you don't get any locks.

On the other hand, if the McGard locks are not weighted properly to equal the GM nuts, I wonder if they weight-match the McGard nuts. The McGard nuts would need to be 176 grains HEAVIER each, that's a lot. 176 grains is about the weight of a complete 9mm cartridge.
Haven't noticed any vibration, but have only had them on a few days and 60 mph max with them on. I got the 4 locks for $19 and change. I thought that was a good deal. You might want to call McGard and ask about the weight if you are interested in the set: 800-444-5847, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern time.

Quick Reply: GM/McGard Wheel Locks Out of Balance