C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for C6 owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:15 AM
cajunspeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for C6 owners

I thinking of getting a 07 coupe, But I'm a little worried about some on the on going problems with the C6's. What kind of little problems will I be in for? I had a 350z that had to get the engine swapped out (Oil Consumption problem) under warranty be a BIG pain in the butt. I don't want to spend $50k on a car that will stay at the shop. What should I do?

Last edited by cajunspeed; 04-23-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:35 AM
yukongt2000
Intermediate

Default Lemons

I think every car make will have its share of lemons. I don't think the corvette is necessarily more prone to having them.

Any time you buy a car you run the risk. I was considering a porsche versus the corvette. The german cars may have a reputation for a sturdier engine, but its very expensive to maintain. It came down to getting the best bang for the buck and buying the sexier car.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:38 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of us have had no problems. There is no way of predicting if anything will fail until you jump in and put some miles on it.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:42 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Buy the Vette

I think you get somewhat of a distorted view from reading the Forum. Members have problems, post the facts, and discussion results. If that’s all you see, it slants your opinion of the vehicle’s integrity.

I think this is best addressed as a poll. All vehicles have problems.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:45 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
I think you get somewhat of a distorted view from reading the Forum. Members have problems, post the facts, and discussion results. If that’s all you see, it slants your opinion of the vehicle’s integrity.

I think this is best addressed as a poll. All vehicles have problems.
Very good point. You've got to keep some perspective on the forum. Things are more concentrated here, both good and bad.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunspeed
I thinking of getting a 07 coupe, But I'm a little worried about some on the on going problems with the C6's.
I have no probems with my 2006.

After reading all the info I could on the C6, the only recurrent problems I found were the "dead battery syndrome" and the rear differential: Both problems were cleared up after the 2005 model.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:59 AM
cajunspeed
Racer

I guess my last experience with my 350z made me a liitle gun shy to purchase a new car. The other thing I worried about in the service I will get from the dealership if I do run into problems. I have a little problem I found a dealer 2 miles from my house that I can use the GM Supplier Program with but they only sell 2 vettes a year I don't know if the mechanics @ that dealership know how to work on the vette. I have another dealership who sells corvette's ONLY and they have great mechanics only problem is they will not except the GM Supplier Program. Best deal they will give me is $3500.00 under MSRP which is about 1500.00 more than the GM program.

Last edited by cajunspeed; 04-23-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:00 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took delivery of my 05 C6 coupe on 11-1-04. It now has a little over 27,000 miles on it. Daily driver in all kinds of weather including snow (when it's not to deep). No major problems except for the ocassional squeaky brakes. Today it's just as tight, solid and rattle free as that first evening I drove it off the dealers lot.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Pick a car - any car. Then go find a forum for that car. I guarantee you will find quality issues. BMW had failures of it's M3 engines and refused warranty on many of them ($22,000!!!). Acura had transmissions problems on the last generation TL. I'm seeing transmission problems reported on the current Toyota Avalon. Even Mercedes was having a larger number of quality problems for about the last five years (supposedly much better now - who knows).

I've had two C6's and no problems with either one of them.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:12 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

If you have any warranty issues you can take it to any Chevy dealership to have repaired. You do not have to take it to the dealer you baught it from for warranty repairs.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Even Mercedes was having a larger number of quality problems for about the last five years (supposedly much better now - who knows).
About 20 years ago, I worked for a while at the Mercedes of North America warrantee dept., at their old headquarters in Montvale, NJ.

You wouldn't believe it.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunspeed
I guess my last experience with my 350z made me a liitle gun shy to purchase a new car. The other thing I worried about in the service I will get from the dealership if I do run into problems. I have a little problem I found a dealer 2 miles from my house that I can use the GM Supplier Program with but they only sell 2 vettes a year I don't know if the mechanics @ that dealership know how to work on the vette. I have another dealership who sells corvette's ONLY and they have great mechanics only problem is they will not except the GM Supplier Program. Best deal they will give me is $3500.00 under MSRP which is about 1500.00 more than the GM program.
Buy your car where you want and then take it to any dealership of your choice to have it worked on if you have a problem.
I bought my car in Maine and live in California and I am sure not gonna drive all the way back to have it serviced.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:12 AM
cajunspeed
Racer

Thanks for your replies!
Old 04-23-2006, 11:27 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Pick a car - any car. Then go find a forum for that car. I guarantee you will find quality issues. BMW had failures of it's M3 engines and refused warranty on many of them ($22,000!!!). Acura had transmissions problems on the last generation TL. I'm seeing transmission problems reported on the current Toyota Avalon. Even Mercedes was having a larger number of quality problems for about the last five years (supposedly much better now - who knows).

I've had two C6's and no problems with either one of them.
I was extremely apprehensive about buying an American made car again. On occasion to much information can be paralyzing when making a difficult decision. There have been some distressing posts regarding quality issues but the fact is you can find that on any forum on any car made. I don’t believe the C6 is anymore prone to quality problems than most other vehicles. I took delivery almost 2 weeks ago and was delighted and pleased with the over all quality of my car. It was every bit as good as my new 4Runner is almost every single regard. I’m a fairly critical buyer and have zero complaints in the short time I’ve been driving my vette. If you love the look, features, power and value of the C6 then just buy one. You won’t find a better bargain all things considered if you’re looking for high powered, sexy looking sports car. Good luck with your decision………..
Old 04-23-2006, 11:31 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default car

Don't buy it expecting a perfect mechanical device!!!BUY IT TO HAVE FUN!!!And the problems aren't that many where everyone is having them,it's a few here and there,just seems like more concentrated in this small area.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've had no troubles with my C6 after 4 months and 2000 miles of daily driving. I had few problems with my C5 daily driver for nearly 6 years, and consider it one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Bit by column lock twice, but still enjoyed the car immensely. I'd wager the Corvette is one of the best cars GM makes, and comparable to most other cars in reliability except perhaps Honda.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for C6 owners

Quick Reply: Question for C6 owners