C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 vs Base Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Stangar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z51 vs Base Suspension

How much STIFFER does the Z51 ride compared to the base suspension? I know about the advantages and disadvantages of the Z51 but I'm mainly interested in the ride feel in day to day use.

Is it STIFFER by like 10%, 25%, or what? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own the base and have now driven three Z51's short term. In my estimation, the Z51 is maybe 15% stiffer. The most obvious difference is body roll. The base suspension has vastly underrated anti-roll bars IMHO and the side to side body roll in the base car is (again IMHO) unacceptable for a sports car! I installed the Z51 sway bars on my base car within a few months of ownership due to what I'd call horrendous body roll in the corners. After the install, no body roll to speak of but the suspension still feels a little looser due to the shocks/springs. I don't mind that personally because it's a little easier on the teeth when just tooling around or on a long trip.

Mike
Old 06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

How does one quantify this?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I had driven a base suspension in a friend's car last year, and it felt too soft for me. I read about the Z51 here, and while there is a significant difference of opinion among Forum members, I ended up ordering the Z51 despite some people's feeling that the Z51 is too harsh. I couldn't arrange for a test drive myself without undue hardship, so I just bought it and crossed my fingers.

I picked up my Z51-equipped coupe this weekend and from the moment I drove it off MacMulkin's lot, I was thrilled with the way it feels. I couldn't be happier with it, and in retrospect I'm wondering if any of the people that said they felt the Z51 was too harsh were owners of that suspension. I find it hard to imagine why anyone would complain about it.

Anyway, drive it if you can. At least you won't have the anxiety that I did while waiting.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:31 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 04:34 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangar
I'm mainly interested in the ride feel in day to day use.
You may have answered your own question. If a softer ride is your primary concern, I'd say the Z51 is out. If you want both soft ride and tighter handling, go for the F55. If you can live with a somewhat stiffer ride, you'll get the best handling out of the Z51.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:41 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned several vehicles with harsh suspensions and the Z51 is no where near being in that category. IMO, anyone who thinks the Z51 is too stiff and harsh is probably in the wrong car anyway regradless of the suspension.......Cadillac and Lexus make some nice cushy road pillows.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What GM needs to do is offer the Z51 package with the F55 select a ride shocks! Now that would sell! It seems to me that most other brands in this class offer this option.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SA HEAT
I've owned several vehicles with harsh suspensions and the Z51 is no where near being in that category. IMO, anyone who thinks the Z51 is too stiff and harsh is probably in the wrong car anyway regradless of the suspension.......Cadillac and Lexus make some nice cushy road pillows.
... and I have the base suspension. Unless you want to replace the sway bars, I'd recommend to anyone to get the Z51. If I had it to do again, I would. That said, sometimes I appreciate the slightly softer ride of the base car but I really didn't enjoy driving it with the stock/base sway bars. The base car feels more like a Cadillac around the corners and body roll is just unreasonable for a Corvette.

IMO

Mike
Old 06-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Tightwad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z51 Springs are a little to Stiff.
Shocks have a little to much Compression Damping and not enough Rebound
Sways are fine

Best Combo:
Springs- Base
Sways- Z51 or Z06 Bars (Z06 has more drop throttle Oversteer)
Shocks- Bilstein Sport
Max Drop Allowed by Stock Bolts (Maybe trim the rear bushing just a little)

Gene
Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
How does one quantify this?
A calibrated standard butt I think would be needed
Old 06-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

how much to purchase and have the z51 sway bars installed?

TP
Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by V8lust
I had driven a base suspension in a friend's car last year, and it felt too soft for me. I read about the Z51 here, and while there is a significant difference of opinion among Forum members, I ended up ordering the Z51 despite some people's feeling that the Z51 is too harsh. I couldn't arrange for a test drive myself without undue hardship, so I just bought it and crossed my fingers.

I picked up my Z51-equipped coupe this weekend and from the moment I drove it off MacMulkin's lot, I was thrilled with the way it feels. I couldn't be happier with it, and in retrospect I'm wondering if any of the people that said they felt the Z51 was too harsh were owners of that suspension. I find it hard to imagine why anyone would complain about it.

Anyway, drive it if you can. At least you won't have the anxiety that I did while waiting.
You are really making me smile I should pick up my Z51 Vert the end of the month at the museum!

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 vs Base Suspension

Quick Reply: Z51 vs Base Suspension