C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Low12s
Perhaps the dumbest comment I have heard. I pay 50K plus for the "premier" car of its kind (and I love the car). The roof is defective from the manufacturer, and you suggest I pay for the solution? GM is paying for my rental (projected 30 days, a new roof, and a paint job that had better match!)
I disagree about your 'dumbest comment' comment.
Your solution involves accepting a top that is probably as defective as the one you just turned in!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 AM
Rachane
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
[to a critic of my previous post] I disagree about your 'dumbest comment' comment.
Your solution involves accepting a top that is probably as defective as the one you just turned in!
My point exactly. Chevrolet's "solution" so far seems to be (a) doing nothing until a top separates (which could be at least inconvenient and at most dangerous), then (b) providing a replacement top/re-glue of exactly the same non-quality.

I am also unhappy about having to spend more $s on this $50K car, but I also don't want to have to leave it in the garage, fry under the clear top, or worry about the painted top everytime I drive anywhere. So in the short term I've ordered a DSV liner for the clear top, and beyond that will just grit my teeth, buy another clear top, and have it painted/lined.

American ingenuity being what it is, I suspect we will not have to wait too long before some of the aftermarket vendors start producing replacement non-flying roofs at reasonable prices!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:30 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Reading all the posts it seems like exposure to direct sunlight even in moderate temperatures ( not the worst of the summer yet ) for a couple of days greatly accelerates the delam process. Some have speculated that owners in colder northern areas might not see this as soon.

However, even northern states and provinces have a number of back to back really hot sunny days each season. If that's all it takes then .....most all will soon fail.
My car spends its life outdoors. 18 months of hot and cold so far. The top makes some noises, but it is still hanging on. Will it delaminate? Possibly, some day. I'm not stressing about it, but then I always carry duct tape in my emergency kit.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Weely
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof legal problems

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most will remember that I was one of the first to complain about the roof, and urged all to contact NHTSA as well as GM. I got assigned a rep with GM, Ms Mann in GmExpert, and she was little help in getting anything resolved other than another roof panel that was clearly suppose to be the newer model roofs from 06 production.

To date the car has 6000 miles on it. It was built on Aug 15, 2005 and has had 3 roof panels go bad. The longest lasting roof, the current panel, lasted the entire Florida winter, and went as soon as weather heated. This one has become the first to almost completely come apart. Each other seperated in the back around the passenger side of the latch to a space of about 6-8 inches max. Our extreme heat and humidity seem to increase the failure to only a couple months at best.

If you think GM nor anyone has any idea how to fix these you are seriously incorrect. And those of you holding out consider this .... I was 45 minutes from home when the roof released on the passenger side tonight and needed to travel the highway home while a light rain. I cannot believe I did not become part of the flying roof club.

I want to claim the Lemon Law but cannot get a clear answer as to where and how to file. No booklet was in car. Car was sold by a Texas dealer under an order (allocation) and shipped to Florida dealer upon build. Do I look to Texas or Florida for Lemon Law ?????

Side of roof where clearly outside the frame

Lifted off frame, while still attached

How far across it has delaminated

I guess GM could consider it a spoiler ???
I have a C4. I've been thhinking of getting a new C6, but reading about these roof problems does make me pause.
I'm an attorney in Kansas. Your question about whicih lemon law applies is trickier than it fisrt seems. Unfortunately I cannot give you an answer to your question.
I suggest that you contact your state bar association or the bar association of the city or county where you live. Many bar associations operate a service where they can refer you to a local attorney and you can have a consultation with that attorney for free or for a small charge. Be aware that there are almost always time limits on how long you have to make legal claims. These are called satutes of limitations. Find out what the statute of limitations is on your claim from the local attorney so it does not expire. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Reading all the posts it seems like exposure to direct sunlight even in moderate temperatures ( not the worst of the summer yet ) for a couple of days greatly accelerates the delam process. Some have speculated that owners in colder northern areas might not see this as soon.

However, even northern states and provinces have a number of back to back really hot sunny days each season. If that's all it takes then .....most all will soon fail.

My humble suggestion is that all C6 owners who have painted roofs should make it a point to park their cars in the sun for several days as soon as possible this summer. If it's gonna happen it might as well happen sooner rather than later when the warranty is inforce and the recall is still open. But how could you take one of these cars on a long summer trip even with a fixed painted roof? Just too dangerous. However, I wonder what percent of owners know NOTHING about the problem and for whom it is a total surprise when the top goes bam!

GM must have really dreaded the national recall notice since it probably informed lots of owners who were living in total ignorance of the potential ( or likely ) problem. I mean, after all, who would ever think that Chevrolet would sell its flagship car with such a pervasive defect?

It's just not something people expect.
At least you get some type of warning noise creaking something. The top just doesn't go flying off right? If your top is creaking or giving any problems I don't feel you should take it to the stealership yet until we get closer to March 2007 because by then perhaps if your top has not come off they will have the right fix for it. If not why would you send the top in if you aren't having problems because as you know after you get the top back from the stealership you will have problems or if they got the foam adhesive on the paint then you end up with a new top to start the whole process over again
Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Weely
I have a C4. I've been thhinking of getting a new C6, but reading about these roof problems does make me pause.
I'm an attorney in Kansas. Your question about whicih lemon law applies is trickier than it fisrt seems. Unfortunately I cannot give you an answer to your question.
I suggest that you contact your state bar association or the bar association of the city or county where you live. Many bar associations operate a service where they can refer you to a local attorney and you can have a consultation with that attorney for free or for a small charge. Be aware that there are almost always time limits on how long you have to make legal claims. These are called satutes of limitations. Find out what the statute of limitations is on your claim from the local attorney so it does not expire. Good luck.
Isn't it very coincendential that all of a sudden this is happening? It can only be attributed to the hot weather and change of season to summer.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:05 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shopdog
My car spends its life outdoors. 18 months of hot and cold so far. The top makes some noises, but it is still hanging on. Will it delaminate? Possibly, some day. I'm not stressing about it, but then I always carry duct tape in my emergency kit.

So you are going to do the same thing then and stick it out unless your top condition gets worse and wait for a better fix on the painted roof top problem?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:09 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rachane
My point exactly. Chevrolet's "solution" so far seems to be (a) doing nothing until a top separates (which could be at least inconvenient and at most dangerous), then (b) providing a replacement top/re-glue of exactly the same non-quality.

I am also unhappy about having to spend more $s on this $50K car, but I also don't want to have to leave it in the garage, fry under the clear top, or worry about the painted top everytime I drive anywhere. So in the short term I've ordered a DSV liner for the clear top, and beyond that will just grit my teeth, buy another clear top, and have it painted/lined.

American ingenuity being what it is, I suspect we will not have to wait too long before some of the aftermarket vendors start producing replacement non-flying roofs at reasonable prices!
But isn't this typical of Cheverolet? I mean when time does come to fix it they band aid it only for it to happen again. They don't do a permanent fix so what do you then when the warranty is over?
Just look at the history of problems the C-5's and the way Chevrolet handled that. To this day I don't believe they have come up with a permanent fixes for the problems that model had. That is probably what we are also faced with (the repeated problems and failure of components they fix).
Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I agree 110% than the heat and humidity seems to increase the likelyhood of failure. Also note a significant amount of cars are black, and black retains heat moreso than metallic based paint which reflects some heat.

But, if the glue/adhesive has failed prematurely in these areas, does that mean that the likelyhood of failure in cold areas will be less. I dont pretend to know .... what I suspect is the adhesive is the wrong choice for these applications. I suspect that over time even cars in colder climates "might" see delamination. There are no attachment points in the two panels other than this glue/adhesive.

My second worry, is that GM failed (or its supplier) to understand exactly what is needed to attach a polycarbonate type painted panel to a magnesium frame. If this is the case ... and hot temperatures are just speeding the failure rate --- then all of us have to worry. Because likely all glue/adhesive would fail at some point. The National forced recall from NHTSA now gives all Corvette owners some recourse at a later date if this is true. (think outside the warrranty period)

------------------------
My biggest example is the clearcoat system GM used in the late 80's when laws became more stringent to protect the environment. Without National Recall and Recognition, those that did NOT experience clearcoat failure to later would have had to repair/repaint themselves. And dont think GM did not use this to its advantage, by still allowing dealers to pick and choose, or "upgrade" services into a reduced price for a total repaint. --- Obviously another story altogether. But areas with extreme sun/heat saw the issue first, while vehicles in other areas were "safe" or so they thought until later dates.
My painted top is white so I'm not saying it will happpen or not based on color but black is the hottest color to touch.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:39 AM
GSIRM3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This top issue sux. I was all set to buy a new C6 coupe, until all this top delamination stuff surfaced. I do not like the looks of the car with the glass top, plus I live in NC and it is just too hot in the summer for the glass top.

No way I was going to buy one now, so I just bought another M3. The M3 is a great car and this is my 3rd consecutive one. I was really seriously considering a new C6 to get something different, but not now.

I still wonder if GM changed suppliers for the top. If GM made the tops themselves, you would think they would use the same process as they did for the C5 tops, which didn't have this problem. So why are they having the problem now?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Who is the company that makes GM's painted targa top?

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
This top issue sux. I was all set to buy a new C6 coupe, until all this top delamination stuff surfaced. I do not like the looks of the car with the glass top, plus I live in NC and it is just too hot in the summer for the glass top.

No way I was going to buy one now, so I just bought another M3. The M3 is a great car and this is my 3rd consecutive one. I was really seriously considering a new C6 to get something different, but not now.

I still wonder if GM changed suppliers for the top. If GM made the tops themselves, you would think they would use the same process as they did for the C5 tops, which didn't have this problem. So why are they having the problem now?
M-3??
With the transparent top you can put darken tint film on it to help protect against the heat if that is what you are worried about buy it from Mid-America or Eckler's.
It is still not too late to get a C-6
Old 06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS WON
M-3??
With the transparent top you can put darken tint film on it to help protect against the heat if that is what you are worried about buy it from Mid-America or Eckler's.
It is still not too late to get a C-6
I agree, if I were buying now I'd just get the transparent top and an aftermarket liner to deal with the heat, and I'd just live with the look.

I'll be the first to admit this problem is a pain in the ***, but it's nowhere near a big enough issue to determine a car buying decision, especially given a transparent top doesn't have the problem.

With all the bitching and moaning I've been doing about my top (and I've been complaining about it a lot), I'm still 100% happy with my decision to get the C6
Old 06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
TiVoManiac
Racer

Is this happening to Arizona owners too or is it a combination of heat and humidity that triggers it? Just curious before I get my 07.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

We need some Corvette owners who live in California, Washington, Oregon border near the ocean or anywhere in the world where it is cold and see if they are having problems too.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TiVoManiac
Is this happening to Arizona owners too or is it a combination of heat and humidity that triggers it? Just curious before I get my 07.
Mine's fine so far! '05 VIN 4997.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:43 PM
C6 Strangebob
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TiVoManiac
Is this happening to Arizona owners too or is it a combination of heat and humidity that triggers it?
I'm in the Phx area and have had no roof problem at all (YET). The car was built on Aug 25, 2005. This was after the Aug 17 breakpoint mentioned in post #94 --so I'm hoping my car won't be one of the exceptions. It has been in the sun a lot, both with and without humid conditions.

I can't understand how the last 4,000 or so 2005's could be relatively safe (and excluded from the recall) and then the 2006 models started all over with the delam problem. Maybe GM was using that last batch in 2005 as guinea pigs for an experimental fix?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C6 Strangebob
I'm in the Phx area and have had no roof problem at all (YET). The car was built on Aug 25, 2005. This was after the Aug 17 breakpoint mentioned in post #94 --so I'm hoping my car won't be one of the exceptions. It has been in the sun a lot, both with and without humid conditions.

I can't understand how the last 4,000 or so 2005's could be relatively safe (and excluded from the recall) and then the 2006 models started all over with the delam problem. Maybe GM was using that last batch in 2005 as guinea pigs for an experimental fix?
I got my car in December of 2004 probably produced in November of 2004 if that means anything

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again

Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C6 Strangebob

12 of 21 with the last 5000 '05 VINs have reported delamination!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1410987
Old 06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Rachane
Advanced

Default Limbo-Land

Another annoyance is that if you try to fix the roof yourself, you immediately void Chevrolet's warranty/responsibility. So you're stuck waiting for the thing to cause an without-warning accident while Chevrolet dawdles.

I am nonetheless minded to take the painted roof to my local good non-GM body shop, explain the problem, and see if they have a sensible, practical suggestion - for example, some way of locking the top panel in place with add-on clips, screws, clamps, (?). Sounds to me as though Chevrolet uses inadequate glue, including on the repairs. Perhaps there is a much tougher glue, such as

http://www.gorillaglue.com

that can deal with this. Evidently GM-dealership bodyshops are restricted to the "official fix" with something on the order of rubber cement!

If I learn anything interesting, I'll post here.

Last edited by Rachane; 06-12-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Rachane
I am nonetheless minded to take the painted roof to my local good non-GM body shop, explain the problem, and see if they have a sensible, practical suggestion - for example, some way of locking the top panel in place with add-on clips, screws, clamps, (?). Sounds to me as though Chevrolet uses inadequate glue, including on the repairs. Perhaps there is a much tougher glue, such as

http://www.gorillaglue.com

I thought about this too .... I recently used Gorilla glue and amazed at its hold quality between unlike mediums. (RUBBER TO CONCRETE)

I have been told by others that 3M infact makes a product used in the marine industry that might work well. Something like 3M 5200. Its impervious to salt water, slightly elastic (thus might help with heat), and relatively easy to use with life long staying power. Problem ... it takes 30 days to fully cure. (guess thats not much worse than actually waiting for the new roof to arrive at dealer). It does also come in a quik dry formula 3M 5200HD but said to be slightly weaker, but dries in 2-4 days.

It appears that the real problem is the outside vendor that supplies these roof panels to GM. Obviously GM failed to test properly , and prob went with the cheapest supplier. And knowing GM, is likely to be sitting on its fingers (like my dealer) waiting for someone else to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: 3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again