C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again

Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I thought about this too .... I recently used Gorilla glue and amazed at its hold quality between unlike mediums. (RUBBER TO CONCRETE)

I have been told by others that 3M infact makes a product used in the marine industry that might work well. Something like 3M 5200. Its impervious to salt water, slightly elastic (thus might help with heat), and relatively easy to use with life long staying power. Problem ... it takes 30 days to fully cure. (guess thats not much worse than actually waiting for the new roof to arrive at dealer). It does also come in a quik dry formula 3M 5200HD but said to be slightly weaker, but dries in 2-4 days.

It appears that the real problem is the outside vendor that supplies these roof panels to GM. Obviously GM failed to test properly , and prob went with the cheapest supplier. And knowing GM, is likely to be sitting on its fingers (like my dealer) waiting for someone else to fix the problem.
Who is the supplier of these defective tops?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
wildcatter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I thought about this too .... I recently used Gorilla glue and amazed at its hold quality between unlike mediums. (RUBBER TO CONCRETE)

I have been told by others that 3M infact makes a product used in the marine industry that might work well. Something like 3M 5200. Its impervious to salt water, slightly elastic (thus might help with heat), and relatively easy to use with life long staying power. Problem ... it takes 30 days to fully cure. (guess thats not much worse than actually waiting for the new roof to arrive at dealer). It does also come in a quik dry formula 3M 5200HD but said to be slightly weaker, but dries in 2-4 days.

It appears that the real problem is the outside vendor that supplies these roof panels to GM. Obviously GM failed to test properly , and prob went with the cheapest supplier. And knowing GM, is likely to be sitting on its fingers (like my dealer) waiting for someone else to fix the problem.
I contacted the body shop which has done fantastic work on my Vette in the past to ask them how much they would charge me to repaint my replacement top, rather than have my dealer paint it. They quoted me $187.50. That sounded pretty good to me. They even had paint left over from my previous job.

While I had them on the phone they offered to reglue the top for me as well. I said I was concerned about assuming the liability for that, but I was also concerned that GM's replacement roofs were also failing, so I was having trouble making up my mind what to do. They said they had some glue that is used to glue airplanes together that they use on jobs like this and they assured me that one would have to break the roof panel to get it off the frame after they glued it with that stuff (whatever it is - I didn't ask).

I was all set to take my roof over and give them the job when I noticed that the right side of the roof panel had about a 6 inch by 1/4 inch strip sheared off. Apparently it had struck a telephone pole or guy wire while sailing through the air like a kite (it landed in deep grass). That could have been fixed as well, but after thinking it over it was all adding up to too much $$$: first the restoration of the top, then the reglueing, then the painting.

So..... I ended up taking the top back to the dealer. In retrospect I probably made a mistake there. I am likely to get another top that will eventually fail and I have been waiting for 3 weeks and 2 days now with no replacement roof in sight. I'm thinking I should have just ponied up the $$$ and got the work done by the reputable shop.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Who is the supplier of these defective tops?
GM Customer Assistance cant/wont help on that one, probably nervous that someone might actually let them know theres a problem.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcatter
I should have just ponied up the $$$ and got the work done by the reputable shop.
You could do the following:

1. Use the clear roof for now as is

2. Get Chevy to get your painted roof "fixed"

3. Whe nyou get it back, take it right away to your guy with the amazing glue, have him peel it (should not take too much , and try his bonding.

An idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again