C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker change - what a difference!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:25 PM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Speaker change - what a difference!!!

BIG!!!

the hardest thing to do was to make the plates for the 10" hole
i used a 6x9 it was the biggest i could find - rear spacing as about 3" max before it hits the glass

12" square 1/4 aluminum plates to start - then copy stock speaker mount

now to make the connections for midrange and tweeters

taking apart the rear was fun.......

door speaker installed...

Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Does your car have the Bose, or base stereo?

Thanks for posting the detailed pics. Nice work!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aloha.....

Great job! You always come up with some super mods!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pics. How long did it take you to change all the speakers? Did you re-wire the rears for stereo?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

i had the base stereo - rears are not mono like bose system is

note: all stereos have an amp also it has a internal crossover built in

took out the center speaker on dash

cutting the plates took half the day (that's about all i did that day)
taking it all a part took a couple of hours
couple of hours to modify connetors and put speakers in car
couple of hours to replace all the panels

what a big difference!!!

i changed the head unit a while ago and it did not sound any better thats why i change the speakers

i should have figgured that one out the first time... i changed the speakers only in my S10 (just a stock single CD player) it made a world of difference and sonys from walmart....

oh well.... on to the next mod.....
Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
C6 Vet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always put in top of the line systems in my cars and trucks and I must agree the C6 would greatly benefit. I have the Bose system without Nav and it is a disappointment. I don't think I will upgrade the speakers or the deck but I am thinking of adding a JL amp & one 10 inch W6 sub. I am hopping this will hide some of the flaws or impurities of the Bose system. Would have been nice if it came factory with a sub.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pictures 2LT. I'm thinking of doing something along the same lines. There are days where I think the stock Bose system that comes in the 3LT package isn't too bad and then other days where I'm like wow...this system sounds like total dog doodoo. I've got a convertible but I'm thinking along your lines....build custom speaker plates and put some 6.5"s in the doors, 3.5" two ways in the stock location on the doors, kill the center channel and put quality 5.25"s in the back, a pair of good amps and then a small powered sub (Infinti basslink perhaps) in the trunk if I feel it needs more low end. The BOSE stereo is a huge disappointment in an otherwise great car....sadly it doesn't even seem that underpowered it's just the frequency response is horrible and the speakers sound muddy even at low levels....atrocious actually. I also have a CTS with a BLOSE system in it and that one actually is very good for a stock stereo but they really dropped the ball on the Corvette.

Last edited by Dueysan; 06-13-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

got to ask why you drilled all the holes instead of just using a jigsaw with a metal blade....must have took 3 hrs to make all of them!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 AM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

Originally Posted by black05c6z51
got to ask why you drilled all the holes instead of just using a jigsaw with a metal blade....must have took 3 hrs to make all of them!!!!
i tried to use just the jigsaw to cut the outside - seem like the blade could not make the curves - ended up using a portble bandsaw (in a vise) to get close then trim with jigsaw - blade did not bind up after bandsaw cut

drilling the holes took about 5-10 seconds each - very easy - two batteries (18V DeWalt) though
used jigsaw to cut centers out - about 10mins or so

filing it down not so easy (even after using the jig saw to get rid of the tips)

yup... took about that long... getting all the tools out and figuring out how to cut that piece of plate
i dont use 1/4 aluminum to often - the cardboard template was way easier to cut out

just tried some friends jazz CD's - WOW what a difference - very clear
the stock amp is not to bad!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 AM
c6 rocket
Drifting

Why did you choose a 6x9 instead of a 5 1/4 and a seperate tweeter?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Vet
I have always put in top of the line systems in my cars and trucks and I must agree the C6 would greatly benefit. I have the Bose system without Nav and it is a disappointment. I don't think I will upgrade the speakers or the deck but I am thinking of adding a JL amp & one 10 inch W6 sub. I am hopping this will hide some of the flaws or impurities of the Bose system. Would have been nice if it came factory with a sub.
That will help a lot. I have the nav/bose and I added a JL 250 mono block and a 10 plus i changed the tweeters in the doors to Boston aqustics and they run off the bose side. Major difference. Not as good as a complete change but a great improvement and low on the wallet.
Joe
Old 06-13-2006, 01:15 PM
DigitalGriffin
Pro

Originally Posted by 2LT-Z51
just tried some friends jazz CD's - WOW what a difference - very clear
the stock amp is not to bad!!!
Bose has natoriously been known to use the cheapest paper cones and plastics in their drivers, and ordinary magnets.

A simple upgrade of the speakers is one of the best things you can do. Audio shops will push new heads and amps because these are pricey additions that raise their profit level considerably.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Another reason I don't like Bose...
It is estimated that Bose has spent more dollars on advertising last year than ALL other high-end companies COMBINED. Does it have an effect? Sadly, yes. A few years back, the United States Air Force signed Bose onto a multi-million-dollar contract to design noise cancellation headsets for Air Force flight crews. Bose won the contract over two other companies simply because of their "more established name" (brand recognition). The concept of a noise cancellation headset is to actively monitor the noise frequencies emitted from a jet engine and the turbulent wind, and reproduce the exact signal 180 degrees out of phase, thus theoretically canceling it out completely. Many reputable manufacturers have successful done so as well. Bose produced a model that cost approximately $1000 per unit, which failed to cancel out a significant amount of noise. The company used the contract as an opportunity to unload obsolete parts from years back. Bose pawned off thousands of outdated interface connectors for which there were no longer commercially available mating jacks, and incorporated them into the headsets. The Air Force, proud as it was, didn't scrap the project, but instead spent countless millions more replacing the consoles in a number of aircraft to make them compatible with the said headsets. In the end though, the Air Force did terminate the contract when test crews found that the headsets were ineffective and non-durable. This whole mess was created over a brand name's alleged reputation and prestige. Bose is now selling a downgraded version of these headsets to commercial airlines and to the consumer public. They now work to a minor degree, but are not surprisingly still easily outperformed by their competitors. These consumer market headsets are also very, very poorly crafted. I browse many online audio forums and have heard stories about these very expensive headsets falling apart prematurely.
See also:
http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...3&categoryId=1
http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...1&categoryId=1
http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...2&categoryId=1

Last edited by DigitalGriffin; 06-13-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:47 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

How do you like the 3012CFs?

I got a new in box pair from a 99%+ favorable rating buy it now vendor on Ebay for $46.50 including shipping, haven't installed them yet.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

Originally Posted by xs650
How do you like the 3012CFs?
they have a smoother sound - not to bright
pretty good for what they are.....

i have a pair of 1" component tweeter but to lazy to make a mounting plate for it (infinity 1011t)

i planned to run the tweeters and put one of the 3012cf in the center location (that was original plan)

i have a few other mods on the list that i'll work on first then get back to this one...

simple mods for me.... the days of hanging up the car for weeks at a time are over.....
Old 06-13-2006, 02:27 PM
lytmup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c6 rocket
Why did you choose a 6x9 instead of a 5 1/4 and a seperate tweeter?

Thats exactly the question that I wanted to ask.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice work!

I used plexiglass for my speaker mounts, and cut with a jigsaw. The material is a little difficult to work with, as it heats and reseals even after it's just been cut. But, with a little patience, it came out nice too.

For those interested, here's how it looks:

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker change - what a difference!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

missed that question.... sorry

wanted to put the biggest speaker i could find.... all the 10" and 8" speakers had mounting depths of about 4" or more
this one was about 3" at about 3 1/2" or so it will start to hit the glass

old school thinking - the bigger the lower it will go.... 6 1/2" might be OK for the lows - all i could listen to was the speakers at the local shop and walmart (which was better - i knew there was no sub around)

6x9 got a little lower - no plans ever to put in a sub

i used infinitys because the speaker sizes and sensitivity (above 90dB) matched.... not every one makes 3 1/2" speakers

i did choose the infinity kappa's at first then realized they are 2 Ohms
(little to low for stock amp - no plans for changing amp)

it was just a numbers game when i choose them...

1) speakers all had to be same brand
2) sensitivity had to be about 90dB (stock amp had to run them)
3) stock sizes (this one was the hardest to match)

i lucked out on this one....
Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 PM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

the plexi looks

i was thinking about that at first but i usually break plexi when i work on it

i knew i could not mess up on aluminum (well at least not break it)

how does the 6 1/2 sound? do you have a sub also??
Old 06-13-2006, 03:10 PM
DigitalGriffin
Pro

Originally Posted by 2LT-Z51
i did choose the infinity kappa's at first then realized they are 2 Ohms
(little to low for stock amp - no plans for changing amp)
Nice choices on the speakers. Although if you wanted to push your luck, the Kappas would have worked providing you didn't push the volume. The main difference with the Kappas is they have a better magnet, and better reinforced spider cage, and thicker coil wires with fewer wraps for higher voltages/current. (Hence forth why resistance is lower)

I imagine you already know this, but with 2 ohms you get an increase of current on the amp which makes it run warmer. If it's a decent amp, it should have a safety cutout circuit when it gets too warm....But then again, this is Bose we are talking about.

There are special circuits you can buy at the audio store to raise the resistance, without affecting the response band too much with additional capcitance and inductance issues.

Quick Reply: Speaker change - what a difference!!!