C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some MSM paint in a small spray can... where?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Need some MSM paint in a small spray can... where?

I want to paint a few small accessories to match my Machine Silver Metallic C6. For the heck of it I went out and bought a can of DupliColor spray paint at the local auto store, a random GM silver color that looked close to MSM. Of course, after getting home and spraying a test piece, the color did not match the car well enough... no deal. So much for trying to get lucky with random GM silver touch up spray paint. I've been lucky in the past with other cars / colors though.

I do remember reading on the forum here about a company that will fill compressed spray cans with factory paint of choice... but if I remember corectly, it was pretty expensive per can. I only need to spray a few small things so I was hoping to not pay too much for a little bit of spray paint.

Has anyone yet found an easily obtainable DupliColor (or similar brand) touch-up spray paint that matches machine silver metallic REALLY well? I'm sure there is a silver on the shelf at my local auto store that is darned near identical to MSM, the question is just trying to figure out which one. Unfortunately you cannot really tell much by the spray can cap color.

I do have a good air compressor but no spray gun... the amount of paint work I need to do is so small that it is not worth me buying a gun etc... a small spray can of paint is all I need.

Any help / ideas appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

AutomotiveTouchUp.com. I have Monterey Red and their paint was a perfect match.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:21 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
I do have a good air compressor but no spray gun... the amount of paint work I need to do is so small that it is not worth me buying a gun etc... a small spray can of paint is all I need.

Any help / ideas appreciated. Thanks!
While I do have Binks equipment in my shop, I was browsing at the local Harbor Freight store recently and they had their touch up gun on special sale for $9.95 so I said what the heck and bought one. It actually does a good job, and if you screw up and don't clean it properly when you're done, you could just toss it like a spent rattle can.

I have a good automotive paint store nearby, they can custom mix any amount of paint to match any factory, or custom, color you'd like. Most larger towns will have a place like this since many low volume body shops don't mix their own paint.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try Fichtner? The easiest way to get an exact match is to just buy the GM paint in a spray can from a Chevy dealer. The discount price isn't totally offensive and you'll blow more money in gas running around than just having it delivered to your door. Is there some problem with Chevy dealers not carrying your color?

Incidentally, I don't know anything specific about MS, but I would guess that it is a clearcoat. So if you want it to look right, you should shoot clear over the base coat. That's what gives it the shine. Check to make sure that MS is a two stage.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 AM
BLWright
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your local gm dealer should have it, or be able to get it. i think it's an 8oz. can. i had the part number written down, but have since misplaced it.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:21 AM
PappyTinker
Melting Slicks

Location: Life ain't no dress rehearsal, are you gonna wait to get your toys til AFTER you have a heart attack?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.levineautoparts.com/
Old 06-14-2006, 01:30 AM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.paintscratch.com/
Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:10 PM
mlinn1967
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

How is the quality of the basecoat and clearcoat from AutomotiveTouchUp.com???? Is the clear tough enough to paint the fuel rail covers with?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

I got my DSOM touch up (spray can) right over the counter at the local Chevy dealer. They didn't have it in stock, but only took 2 days to order it. I think it was around 9 bucks a can. I topped it with a Duplicolor clear coat from Autozone.

Geo
Old 06-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by mlinn1967
How is the quality of the basecoat and clearcoat from AutomotiveTouchUp.com???? Is the clear tough enough to paint the fuel rail covers with?
That should not be a problem. I've used their paint on calipers on two cars and have no problems. I'm going to use it on some other under hood items myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some MSM paint in a small spray can... where?

Quick Reply: Need some MSM paint in a small spray can... where?