C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Longhorn Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered mine last night

I just took the plunge and ordered mine last night. I was a little disappointed that I didn't see any discounts for Texas Longhorns but ... What sold me is the removable feature of the plate holder. Also a fellow CFer posted his photos of the front bra installed with the removable front plate prominently re-installed on the outside of the non-license plate bra. It just looked 'right'. Of course, it didn't hurt that another CFer stated that he did NOT get a ticket because LEO was impressed that he actually had his front plate mounted.

Top Flight, make sure you don't scratch my Atomic Orange (Burnt Orange) license plate frame when you pack it. A LOT of folks will be looking at it after I install it.

type to you later....

Last edited by Longhorn Vette; 11-16-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JFFVETTE
Thanks for the reply. When I take the plate off, does the mounting hardware show, and how noticeable is it? Does the mounting tape hold up well in the heat, (it won't be driven in the cold)? What do I need to do to order one in Monterey Red?

Gary
When you take the plate off, you can just barely see the bracket. No one will even notice. There are 2 studs sticking down from the bottom of the bracket that stays on the car. You will have to get down on your knees and put your face right there to even see them. 2 black plastic push-on thread covers are also supplied to protect these studs when you take the plate off. These hid the studs even more. They have thought this through very well.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by JFFVETTE
Thanks for the reply. When I take the plate off, does the mounting hardware show, and how noticeable is it? Does the mounting tape hold up well in the heat, (it won't be driven in the cold)? What do I need to do to order one in Monterey Red?

Gary
Pics below show the bracket attached with license plate (Optional GM colored frame not shown)

Name:  100_3476.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  42.4 KB

License plate and bracket removed. You would have to get down on your belly to see the mounting bracket.

Name:  100_3473.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  100_3474.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  100_3472.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  24.7 KB

Heat is not an issue with this adhesive, surface prep and temp (60 degrees or above) prior to install is important.

The GM colored frame is optional and yes we have them in stock. You can purchase these items from our website at www.topflightrepro.com
Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Swiftrider08, and Longhorn Vette, for the heads up on the installation and functionality of the assembly. I'm leaning towards ordering one, because I think it is the best I've seen so far. I've been lucky in my small town so far without one, but that could change any time, especially if traveling on state routes. It seems like most everyone who has this type of mount is happy with it, and the vendor that supplies it. Thanks again to the forum members. This place is great.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
redc-6
Instructor

Default wolfhound

...great product, I found it well designed and easy to install. Thanks [url]http://images.corvetteforum.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Thanks Peter for addressing all of my questions. I'll be ordering one soon.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Default front plate

Originally Posted by Prankster
I live in Ohio, a state that requires a front plate..based on the reponses this seem by far the best way to mount the front plate. I really should order one..I'm probably playing with fire but I chose not to put one on yet, I just don't like the front plate!!

Anyone know the fines for no front plate? I drive this car mostly in Michigan anyway (doesn't require one)..so I'm not all that worried about it, but if I start driving it in Ohio more I probably would have several tickets by now!

pkstr
My brother-in-law is a suburban cop here in Cleveland and said a cop would to be a real p***k to ticket you and we all know that there are a few of those around. I'll ask him what the fine is and post. Incidentally I don't have the front plate on my 08 Vette or my 05 CTS-V. Lucky for 2 1/2 years so far.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

does the bracket get in the way of a vararam? How about when the plate is on?Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fuego
does the bracket get in the way of a vararam? How about when the plate is on?Thanks
No it does not, a few pages back on this thread Chuck Cow, an expert on CAI systems had this to say:

Hey there Guys....

I've been watching this and other posts for the really nice TOP FLIGHT Plate bracket....

I've had many customers come in with them and it's a really slick design.

I can't tell you how many people call and PM me about the use of the VARY POPULAR VARARAM SNAKE CHARMER cold ram air intake. Everyone seems to be concerned about blocking the front scoop....

As much as it looks like it blocks it, I have done extensive testing with the VARARAM and MANY cars fitted with the TOP FLIGHT plate mount and I have not noticed any change in or loss of performance with the plate on or off.

You have to realize that while the scoop faces froward, it's not necessary for the air to have a direct path into the scoop. The truth is that there is a high pressure area in the "mouth" of the front bumper and the VARARAM takes advantage of that high pressure in the scoop....The way that airflow and pressure work, it is not necessary for the Vararam to have a clear shot as the ENTIRE area in front of the car is under pressure from the vehicle accelerating into the "wall of air" in front of it.

Additionally, while the VARARAM works as sort of a "forced" air induction, 50% of the performance gains of the VARARAM intake are due to the significant reduction in IAT's or intake air temperatures.

When the MAF sensor (which also contains the IAT sensor) is exposed to cooler air, not only is the combustion event more efficient, but the little known fact is that the pcm in the C6 ADDS ignition timing when it sees cooler air than it expects. This means big power and the TOP FLIGHT plate does nothing to raise the intake air temperature.

The VARARAM will make significant performance improvements in any C6 corvette whether the PLATE BRACKET is installed or not.

Don't leave out the VARARAM because you have the TOP FLIGHT PLATE and don't skip the TOP FLIGHT PLATE BRACKET just because you have a VARARAM!

Hey guys, don't hurt your brains thinking about this one too much...I've already done all the hurting for you.

Buy BOTH of them!
Chuck CoW
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
My brother-in-law is a suburban cop here in Cleveland and said a cop would to be a real p***k to ticket you and we all know that there are a few of those around. I'll ask him what the fine is and post. Incidentally I don't have the front plate on my 08 Vette or my 05 CTS-V. Lucky for 2 1/2 years so far.
Thanks. I'd also like to know what the fine is.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:33 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To everyone, Peter is the best to deal with I had major concerns about the removable bracket blocking my Vararam Snake Charmer and to see what Chuck COW who I respect because of his work on Vettes and his tunes. That I had nothing to worry about the inlet being blocked by the removable bracket but that the entire front of the vehicle becomes a high pressure area when moving forward and therefore air would coinstantly be rammed into the Vararam inlet.

Besides if it bothers you a lot, you can always take the front plate off and put it on when you are going into a high ticket area or where the P---ks work.

The materials used to make the brackets are top notch and the engineering is great. Thanks Top Flight and Peter who took the time to work with me and answer my questions. I got mine to cover my behind when I need to get my car inspected.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Thank you for the kind words Gary and for posting

Last edited by Top Flight Reproductions; 11-26-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM
trooper1042
Racer

Ordered mine last week--hope it's sitting on my front porch when I get home.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been pulled over three times in the last three weeks, and twice in three days for having no front plate. I never got pulled over in my C5, and I drove that for three years without a plate.

Austin enforcement has really ramped up in the past month. The cops tell me that the toll roads and red light cameras are driving the push.

I hate the thought of having a front plate, but it's annoying as hell to get pulled over on a weekly basis. Just ordered tonight.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
cajanddj
Racer

We got our bracket last week, but living in MN I don't think we will be able to install it till sometime in the spring.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

What If You Have A Speedlingerie Frontend Cover? Do You Have Some Type Of Modification So It Would Work In That Application?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
What If You Have A Speedlingerie Frontend Cover? Do You Have Some Type Of Modification So It Would Work In That Application?
Check out this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...top+flight+bra
I would think you could do the same modification.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Front License Plate Bracket

Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM
ruby9246
Pro

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Just placed Order

Just placed order for front tag holder & optional VR cover.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 PM
H2LS3
Pro

Placed my order a couple days ago...I was VERY happy to find this product -- I was dreading having to put the GM plate on! My neighbor "drilled" his factory set up onto his '07 VY I will feel bad when he sees this one on mine!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter,

Big thumbs up for a great product and of the highest quality, with this day and age of plastics to see your product was superb.

Got it on and now anytime I need to put my front plate on the bracket is there.

Quick Reply: C6 Front License Plate Bracket