C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh DBS after 7 months trouble free

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Fresh DBS after 7 months trouble free

The trick of shifting out of reverse temporarily after each shutdown to double check for any latent messages is apparently not a foolproof verification of a successful shutdown. I've been using that trick for the past several months and hadn't seen DBS for a long time so I was hopeful it was going to be a good work-around pending a true fix by GM. I never did see any messages from the shifting business but it was worth a try.

I haven't moved the car but it's on the charger. Thank God it always happens while the car is in the garage. I recall reading the draft of GM guidance document for technicians that said to check for a few things, with the first being try moving the steering wheel to see if the column lock is engaged. It was activated but I had to turn the wheel a little before the pins actually dropped into place locking the wheel in a fixed position. I don't know if that has any bearing on this episode or not.

I guess the conclusion is don't assume your car is OK simply because it hasn't happened to you for a long while.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Dale;
I agree- almost went a year when my 2nd DBS occurred. Thought I had everything figured out! Not so. Hoonesse, on this forum , as you probably know, has provided a great resource within GM. Hope it gets' resolved.
Take Care
Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I expect to see a seasonal cycle with more DBS incidents as we move into colder weather. I suspect part of the reason I haven't had any DBS lately is because I drive the car pretty nearly every day in the warm months. The car probably can't have a DBS if you use it every day.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went a year before my first. I always check the steering wheel to make sure it is locked - to me the sound and feel of the pins locking the steering wheel is when I feel it is shut off and not just the message.
I think I do this all the time but I certainly can't guarentee that I did this the time that it did DBS.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Chasing problems on my car at the moment, multimeter in hand. There are 3 issues on the '05 manaul. Only true DBS seems unique to '05. 1) Bad battery. 2) Drain which can be traced to a malfunctioning device (my car has this), 3) Real DBS which kills the battery in about an 8 hour time period. Real DBS on my car us extremely rare, but I have a bad device that will kick in Priority Start in about 5-6 days. Chasing that now.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:14 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

StanNH sez "Priority Start" is the solution. Researched it. or send Stan a PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
SMJBA
Burning Brakes

I read in a Vette magazine of this month that a guy solved his problem by pulling the OnStar fuse. Apparently if you live in a Satellite "buffer" are it tricks the system....The guy was asking the editor if GM should come to the table and refund the cost of his OnStar as it was now useless for him...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:42 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SMJBA
I read in a Vette magazine of this month that a guy solved his problem by pulling the OnStar fuse. Apparently if you live in a Satellite "buffer" are it tricks the system....The guy was asking the editor if GM should come to the table and refund the cost of his OnStar as it was now useless for him...
Hmmm well, I think that's a straight forward "drain" issue, not classical DBS. I do not have OnStar, and other cars besides '05 Mn6spd do.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My recollection of a previous poll conducted showed no correlation between DBS and On-Star. I do not have On-Star in my MN6 05. I had numerous DBS events until I started to lock my steering column. I am now 14 months without an event. I remain convinced it is the reverse sensor/column lock that is the source of the problem.

Last edited by capevettes; 07-07-2006 at 10:43 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fresh DBS after 7 months trouble free

Quick Reply: Fresh DBS after 7 months trouble free