C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch not pulling down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Hatch not pulling down?

I have a 2006 coupe. I normally close the rear hatch by letting it down slowing and then push it close. When I push it close, the latch pull down would then pull the hatch down to the close position however I have noticed that a couple of times the hatch would not pull down. It would just sit there. when I start the car, the hatch ajar message would display. When I drive it home and try to close the hatch again, it would work just fine. This problem happened a couple of times and the 2nd time, I drive it to the dealer however it would working fine when I get to the dealer therefore they can not do anything until they can see the problem.

Just wondering if anyone else have seen this problem? It does not happen often but it is a pain because I can not get it to happen at the dealership.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend grabbing the (underneath) handle and give it a good pull down...and it should catch and close automatically .

DON'T give it a good pull down with the windows down or doors open.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:17 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I close the hatch the same way you do but once the hatch is down but not closed I press down on the edge of the hatch with the palm of my hand gently until the power latch closes it the rest of the way. I only have to do this if all the doors and windows are closed. If you have a door or window open you should be able to drop the hatch closed with no further assistance needed.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by csun213
[snip] When I push it close, the latch pull down would then pull the hatch down to the close position however I have noticed that a couple of times the hatch would not pull down.
This is a design feature. If it closed everytime, you would be slack, unaware, off-guard.

GM does not want that, and knows an alert driver is a happy driver.

So there is a random friction generator in association with a defratulating modulating Hymanperkerlator, with the slamming and the closing, and the "oh that's gonna hurt..."

(BTW, type "hatch" and maybe "pull down" into a search and there has been a lot of discussion of this already):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...93&postcount=4

Last edited by TrackNoob; 07-16-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

I think you guys misunstood my problem. My hatch normally closes without any problems. It is just a couple of times that the pull down would not work and pushing down on the hatch would not do anything. The hatch just would not lock. Drove home with the hatch ajared, try to close the hatch again and everything works fine again. Could not get the problem to repeat again until about 3 months later when it happened again. Just wondering if anyone else have heard of this problem. Dealer said to bring it in if the problem can be repeated but so far can not repeat the problem.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

I think you guys misunstood my problem. My hatch normally closes without any problems. It is just a couple of times that the pull down would not work and pushing down on the hatch would not do anything. The hatch just would not lock. Drove home with the hatch ajared, try to close the hatch again and everything works fine again. Could not get the problem to repeat again until about 3 months later when it happened again. Just wondering if anyone else have heard of this problem. Dealer said to bring it in if the problem can be repeated but so far can not repeat the problem.
I'd suggest you do it as it is designed.

Grab the handle, pull the trunk 3/4 down from fully open and give it a yank.
My guess is that pushing is down has created a problem with the autocloser.

I have had it not latch because I didn't give the trunk enough downward force.
But I go to the truck everyday and it always works.

LEX
Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Yes, this is does not seem that unusual. The pull down has 'cycled' but the part it engages with was not low enough to be grabbed.

I'd suggest you modify your technique to use the hand hold to thrust the hatch closed firmly enough to engage the latch. It is still somewhat hit and miss, but just pushing down on it after gently pulling it down does not seem to be the favored approach.

If you think it is bad enough to be a bother, take it to the dealer, but I don't expect they will be able to make it work 100% for you using your 'gentle-hands' approach.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:00 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

It should work either way IMO. As a matter of fact, I'd think your technique should work 100% of the time where with the handle/slam technique you occasionally don't get quite enough force so it doesn't pull closed.

So changing your technique will probably yield the same result...but you can blame it on yourself instead of the car.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:02 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does the same thing. Don't worry about it!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C-INRED
It should work either way IMO. As a matter of fact, I'd think your technique should work 100% of the time where with the handle/slam technique you occasionally don't get quite enough force so it doesn't pull closed.

So changing your technique will probably yield the same result...but you can blame it on yourself instead of the car.

I guess I am a masochist, then, blaming myself instead of the car if I use the gentle push approach

(actually, I do blame the car design, but try to use the best technique to secure success)

You may be completely correct.

But I suspect that the quick slam approach is likely to trip the sensor and also move the lever physically, while the deck lid is in place to be grabbed, whereas it seems possible to me that the slow and gentle approach could trip the sensor while the latch is still too high physically, resulting in a 'missed approach', and the symptom described.

I have not done an autopsy on my own latch yet, nor do I have the service manual yet, so I am prepared to be flamed if my understanding/thinking here is way off-base.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:18 PM
chris36053
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe i'm off base on this but here it is anyway, anytime your doors and windows are closed, this is the only time your rear hatch pull down should work. If you leave a window open, even slightly, your rear hatch will not be pulled down automatically, it will just slam shut. I'm not saying this is right but i believe this is the way GM intended it to work. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:48 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

If it's not pulling the hatch down after putting pressure on the hatch, I would guess the power latch is intermittantly failing. I would see if the dealer would be willing to replace that latch after describing exactly what happens when it is acting up. If not, I am sure it will get to be more of a problem and I would drive by the closest Chevy dealer the next time it is acting up to duplicate the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch not pulling down?

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch not pulling down?