C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Haunted Ashtray Door Fix - DIY w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
lkrassner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ashtray on back order

the latest update is the ashtray unit isn't in stock and is back ordered. i'll try removing the spring until the dealer gets the part in stock.

Originally Posted by Vasta
BTW, this should be put in the FAQ's
Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 AM
donaho
Instructor

I just fixed my ash tray door, by adding a little more plastic to the catch. I used plastic welder epoxy, allowed it to cure overnight, then filed it to the correct shape. I discovered that you can wrap waxed dental floss around the long end of the spring to hold it up while you pop in the door. Remove the floss after the door and spring are in place.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Perfect timing for this excellent thread to be revived. I was just about to search for this since my ash tray door is finally getting to the point (after almost 5 years) where it'll pop open on it's own whenever I hit a pretty big bump. Glad it's a quick, easy fix. "JB Weld" (epoxy) should work well in this application, rough up the striker, file some very small grooves in it, maybe even drill a few very tiny angled holes (so the epoxy can really grab), then add the epoxy, let it cure for a day, file down to the desired profile, done. Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM
1yy07vette
Burning Brakes

Outstanding !
Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow - nice.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Excellent, never know when you might need something like this. Thank's for posting.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM
ejbrace
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave O
Great post! Thanks for the info and the PICs. Mine just started popping open today and with the help of this thread I was able to fix the problem. I varied slightly on the repair strategy though. Instead of adding plastic to the tip/edge of the striker, I just filed/cut away on the shaft part of the striker on the door, making the distance from the shaft to the edge of the fingers a little more noticeable (originally, not much there for the latch assembly to bite on to). Now, by giving the striker a little more of an edge the fingers on the latch assembly have just a little more to catch on to. For now, this appears to have solved the problem. Hopefully it stays that way.
Fixed mine the same way as above. A little filing seemed easier then gluing the plastic. This thread was a big help and incentive to get the darn thing fixed. Thanks to all.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM
donaho
Instructor

I tried filing the the striker first, that helped but didn`t fix the problem completely. I hope that adding plastic will be a better fix. Only time will tell.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
jimcattani
Heel & Toe

Default C6 Ashtray opening constantly

Thanks to everyone on the forum for helping me hopefully get rid of this gremlin that has bothered me for 3 years.

I've been avoiding bringing the car to the dealer for an ashtray that keeps popping open- just got a think they've got bigger problems to deal with and would have a good laugh at my expense...

The door got to the point that you couldn't breath in the car without it popping open so I got on your forum and found out that I'm not the only one that is being bothered by this nuisance. I combined a couple of your solutions and did them all at once figuring if I kept taking the ashtray in and out I was going to create an even bigger problem.

I bent the spring just like the picture shows to get some of the tension out so it wouldn't be trying to pull the door open. I'm not the type to be gluing on little pieces to the striker plate head piece & filing it down (especially considering the small size and my poor eyesight) so I shaved down the shaft a bit on each side with a razor knife. As indicated, this actually made the top have more of a hook on each side which the latch could now grab onto.

I put the ashtray back in and so far it hasn't opened. You can now actually hear the latch click when it grabs the top of the striker plate. If you want to open it, it doesn't spring open like it used to but who cares- who smokes in a Corvette anyway?

Now that's it's closed, I'm never going to open or touch it again- I'll clean around it from now on.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by retrorod
Thanks for the info, I'm going to pass this along to my 'Vette tech. We have replaced a few of these only to find that the replacement part is no improvement.
I can't believe you guys waste this much time on a cheesy part that doesn't even belong in the car. The pic show exactly where the deficiency is.

I'm glad some else took the time to take pics of the cheap charlie part in question.

Get rid of the door, put a polished plate in place of the door, put some DEVCON 5 switches on the plate and you're good to go.

Heck, don't even hook the switches up, it's better than an ashtray in a Corvette. If you smoke while you drive a Corvette, than you are probably not driving the Corvette the way it was intended anyway.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
ruenvs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

I just removed teh spring and reinstalled. Was very annoying, now stays closed at all times.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just take the spring out, its a very easy fix.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Since the original photos of this thread posted by nhisfan are no longer up, I have taken the liberty to repost two of them that I had saved to my computer (below).

Thanks again nhisfan for the DIY ashtray door fix report.

photos by nhisfan:

I had made a post to this thread back in 8/2010, had been ready to fix my own ashtray door at that time but never did. It hadn't been popping open very often so I forgot about it. But now, over a year later, it's to the point where it's popping open enough to actually be annoying, so I'll be doing this fix relatively soon.

Last edited by Vet; 10-02-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:21 AM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow - talk about a 'blast from the past'...
I posted this DIY almost 5 years ago!

I have refreshed the settings on the pictures so hopefully they will be available again for anyone that needs them...

geo
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by nhisfan
Wow - talk about a 'blast from the past'...
I posted this DIY almost 5 years ago!

I have refreshed the settings on the pictures so hopefully they will be available again for anyone that needs them...

geo
No the pictures still have not come through or are not able to be viewed!

If possible can you try to repost the pics? I am trying to repair a friends and they would be very helpful!

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Popsicle
4th Gear

Very good post. I was trying to find the pics. I am tearing mine down this weekend to put in a rear view camera and tie it into the factory nav system and was going to fix that also while i am in there.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Popsicle
4th Gear

Nevermind, i got them.Didn't see all 3 pages

Get notified of new replies

To Haunted Ashtray Door Fix - DIY w/pics

Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Freebird427
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New to the board here guys.

Add me to the list of thanks for posting these pic's and instructions. I bought a 900 mile 2006 Z06 this summer and have been suffering with this ashtray issue ever since....

Winter project.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Had this issue crop up this past Summer after a car show. Finally got around to fixing it this past week. Learned a couple of things.

IMO the problem is not with the striker that is attached to the door itself. I actually removed the latch/ catch that the striker enters and locks into and discovered the problem to be there. If you see how the striker inserts itself into the latch you will realize that unless the nubs are completely gone on both sides there is no way for the striker to extricate itself from the latch. The latch itself is a simple piece of engineering with a spring, and a lever attached to a piston. The latch functions when the latch is depressed by the striker trapping it and in term moving a lever to a slot that then traps the latch from rising and releasing the striker/ door. In order for this lever to work there needs to be enough tension in the spring in the latch assembly. Without enough tension the lever will not swing and slot itself into the new position stopping the piston and in turn the latch to rise. I know I should have taken pictures.

Bottom line the fix is easier than described here to date. All you have to do is remove the door. Remove the latch the striker depresses. Pull the latch apart. Remove the spring. Stretch it out about 1/4 to half an inch. Rebuild the latch the opposite way it was taken apart with the stretched spring and test. It should latch and hold every time and will likely never wear out again.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:09 AM
TSNEED11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Had this issue crop up this past Summer after a car show. Finally got around to fixing it this past week. Learned a couple of things.

IMO the problem is not with the striker that is attached to the door itself. I actually removed the latch/ catch that the striker enters and locks into and discovered the problem to be there. If you see how the striker inserts itself into the latch you will realize that unless the nubs are completely gone on both sides there is no way for the striker to extricate itself from the latch. The latch itself is a simple piece of engineering with a spring, and a lever attached to a piston. The latch functions when the latch is depressed by the striker trapping it and in term moving a lever to a slot that then traps the latch from rising and releasing the striker/ door. In order for this lever to work there needs to be enough tension in the spring in the latch assembly. Without enough tension the lever will not swing and slot itself into the new position stopping the piston and in turn the latch to rise. I know I should have taken pictures.

Bottom line the fix is easier than described here to date. All you have to do is remove the door. Remove the latch the striker depresses. Pull the latch apart. Remove the spring. Stretch it out about 1/4 to half an inch. Rebuild the latch the opposite way it was taken apart with the stretched spring and test. It should latch and hold every time and will likely never wear out again.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: Haunted Ashtray Door Fix - DIY w/pics