Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emergency brake adjustment

Old 08-16-2006, 03:53 PM
grywlfbg
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emergency brake adjustment

All,

So I searched both here and in C6 Tech but couldn't find the answer.

My emergency brake seems to be a bit loose. When I set it the car will still roll if it's on a hill. I have an MN6 so I just leave it in gear and that's held fine but I'd like to adjust the tension on the e-brake in case I need to leave the car running for whatever reason or just to have.

Is the addjustment straightforward? If I lift the car will I be able to see the cable clearly and find the tensioning screw? Can I do it at the handle from inside?

I know I could take it in under warranty but I prefer to avoid the dealer as much as possible.

Thanks,

Built - 5/2/06
Delivered - 5/12/06
Old 08-16-2006, 04:42 PM
WNeal
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by grywlfbg
All,

My emergency brake seems to be a bit loose. When I set it the car will still roll if it's on a hill. I have an MN6 so I just leave it in gear and that's held fine but I'd like to adjust the tension on the e-brake in case I need to leave the car running for whatever reason or just to have.

Is the addjustment straightforward? If I lift the car will I be able to see the cable clearly and find the tensioning screw? Can I do it at the handle from inside?

I know I could take it in under warranty but I prefer to avoid the dealer as much as possible.

Thanks,

Built - 5/2/06
Delivered - 5/12/06
Exact same thing here, will wait to see what you find out.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Buffy
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure, but this thing might be self-adjusting. Mine seemed pretty weak when I first got the car, but after I really yanked on it a couple of times it held very well. So give that a try - pull it really tight a couple of times and see if it works better.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:33 PM
calemasters
CF Senior Member

I would let the dealer look at it. As per the manual:

Park Brake Adjustment
Tools Required
J 21177-A Drum to Brake Shoe Clearance Gage

Important: Park brake adjustment is not necessary after replacing the park brake lever or park brake cables. The park brake cables are tensioned automatically by cycling the park brake lever 3 times.

Apply and fully release the parking brake 3 times.
Verify that the parking brake lever releases completely.
Turn ON the ignition. Verify that the red BRAKE warning indicator lamp is off.
Turn OFF the ignition.
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
Remove the rear tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

Important: Do not operate the park brake lever with the rear disc brake rotor removed.

Remove the rear disc brake rotors. Refer to Rear Brake Rotor Replacement .

Place the inside measurement contacts of the J 21177-A at the widest point of the drum portion of the brake rotor (1).
Tighten the set screw on the tool in order to ensure the proper measurement when removing the tool from the drum.

Position the outside measurement contacts of the J 21177-A over the park brake shoe (1) at the widest point.
Important: If the gap between the adjuster nut and the adjuster screw exceeds 5 mm (0.25 in) during the adjustment procedure, the park brake shoe must be replaced.

Adjust the park brake shoe-to-drum clearance by rotating the adjustment nut on the park brake actuator.
Specification
0.38 mm (0.015 in)

Install the rear brake rotors. Refer to Rear Brake Rotor Replacement .
Install the rear tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
Apply and release the park brake lever 3 times .
Apply the park brake lever. Inspect the rotation of the rear wheels:
• The wheels should not rotate forward.

• The wheels should drag or not rotate rearward.

If the rear tire and wheel assemblies rotate forward or do not exhibit drag rearward, repeat the adjustment procedure.
Release the parking lever. Verify that the wheels rotate freely
Lower the vehicle
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Vet
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the helpful info calemasters

I remember reading a thread a while back where quite a few people complained of a "weak" parking brake. Mine in general feels pretty "weak" too... in other words, you really need to pull up hard to get it to hold the car well on a hill... but it WILL hold. I think this may just be the nature of this parking brake. Mine does seem adjusted well... just needs a good degree of muscle to get it to really hold.

By comparison, the parking brake on my `03 Mustang will hold the car on the side of a cliff with just one short tug. And the parking brake on my `04 Toyota Highlander will not hold at all.... need to really put a ton of muscle into it, then it will still slip a bit if the hill is steep... and it is adjusted properly. My C6 parking brake performance is somewhere in the middle.

So, in my parking brake contest, Ford wins, Chevy comes in second, and Toyota loses. Yet another area where my Ford and Chevy beat out my Toyota.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:25 PM
calemasters
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vet
Thanks for the helpful info calemasters

I remember reading a thread a while back where quite a few people complained of a "weak" parking brake. Mine in general feels pretty "weak" too... in other words, you really need to pull up hard to get it to hold the car well on a hill... but it WILL hold. I think this may just be the nature of this parking brake. Mine does seem adjusted well... just needs a good degree of muscle to get it to really hold.

By comparison, the parking brake on my `03 Mustang will hold the car on the side of a cliff with just one short tug. And the parking brake on my `04 Toyota Highlander will not hold at all.... need to really put a ton of muscle into it, then it will still slip a bit if the hill is steep... and it is adjusted properly. My C6 parking brake performance is somewhere in the middle.

So, in my parking brake contest, Ford wins, Chevy comes in second, and Toyota loses. Yet another area where my Ford and Chevy beat out my Toyota.
For the next several park brake applies, apply the service brake 1st (firmly), and then apply the park brake firmly. After a few cycles, the park brake cable should self adjust.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:21 PM
rmp
CF Senior Member

Same here and dealer said mine was normal ?!

Originally Posted by grywlfbg
All,

Same here and dealer said mine was normal?!

Thanks,

Built - 5/2/06
Delivered - 5/12/06
Old 08-17-2006, 09:47 AM
6 speed Sid
CF Senior Member

On a steep hill, mone does not hold as well as it should ( Same situation with the C5). I will try the auto adjustment routine as with a MN6, you need a good parking brake if you do much hill country driving.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 PM
johnnyboyC4
CF Senior Member

Are you supposed to adjust the parking brake on a steep incline with the car pointing uphill or pointing downhill? I've tried adjusting the parking brake on my car with it pointing uphill (i.e., simply backing out of my garage and driving back in) or do I need to turn around in the street and back up the driveway? I think mine has too much slack in the cable, not the shoes, but I thought maybe I was trying to adjust it backwards because the FSM doesn't cover this type of adjustment. Just curious...
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM
ALS 08
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The inside of the rear disk is the same as a drum brake.

Rear Rotor removed, those are the emergency brake shoes that you see.

Adjustment can be done from under vehicle not necessary to remove Discs.
Cutaway view from under car, back of brakes.

ADJUSTMENT - WITH ADJUSTING TOOL
Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.
(1) Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
(2) Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
(3) Remove rubber plug from each access hole on brake plates.
(4) Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
(5) Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel (Fig. 68).
(6) Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
(7) Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
(8) Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
(9) Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
(10) Install support plate access hole plugs.
(11) Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
(12) Depress park brake lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
(13) Release park brake lever.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
budgreen3564
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

slowly drive the car in reverse and pull up on the parking brake. Do this several times and it should get tighter.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
johnnyboyC4
CF Senior Member

I believe my problem is in the cable. I took out a lot of slack in the cable this afernoon, drove it around the block a few times andf still nothing...It doesn't hold the car in place. I even got the tires so tight that I can't even move them an inch with my hand, but the second I put the three thousand pound car on an incline, it acts as if it doesn't have any resistance whatsoever! I just need to keep taking slack out of my brake line, I guess. I just hope it doesn't snap the next time I go to engage it...It is 27 years old, after all.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
davekp78
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ALS 08 View Post
The inside of the rear disk is the same as a drum brake.

Rear Rotor removed, those are the emergency brake shoes that you see.

Adjustment can be done from under vehicle not necessary to remove Discs.
Cutaway view from under car, back of brakes.

ADJUSTMENT - WITH ADJUSTING TOOL
Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.
(1) Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
(2) Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
(3) Remove rubber plug from each access hole on brake plates.
(4) Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
(5) Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel (Fig. 68).
(6) Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
(7) Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
(8) Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
(9) Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
(10) Install support plate access hole plugs.
(11) Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
(12) Depress park brake lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
(13) Release park brake lever.
It would be better if the picture and description were FOR A C-6!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, the OP needs to adjust the star wheel at each wheel. Do a search on the C-5 forum for the procedure.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Received 1,117 Likes on 630 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Just captured these screens from Helms for the C6

Elmer
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Prostreet513
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I am swapping out my brakes on the vette and I did the front and rear and all was well. I got to the passenger rear and the power stop rotor will not go on. I put the stock rotor on and it went right on. I had no issues with the drivers rear. Any idea? I am wondering if I need to adjust that little star thing to back the ebrake down a little to get the rotor on
Old 01-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Dano523
CF Senior Member

Received 1,074 Likes on 865 Posts

Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 PM
ekinser40

the problem I have is that I purchased the car used and the right cable was not attached. I attached it and replaced the rear service brakes, My wife took it out today and said that it sounds like the brakes are dragging going forward. I am wondering if something is wrong with the parking brake I have not replaced the parking brake shoes yet I guess that will be the next thing to replace.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Dano523
CF Senior Member

Received 1,074 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by ekinser40 View Post
the problem I have is that I purchased the car used and the right cable was not attached. I attached it and replaced the rear service brakes, My wife took it out today and said that it sounds like the brakes are dragging going forward. I am wondering if something is wrong with the parking brake I have not replaced the parking brake shoes yet I guess that will be the next thing to replace.
Go back and adjust the star adjuster correctly so the shoe is not making contact with the drum for a full rotation of the rotor. Hence able to rotate the rotor for a full tune, and not getting a light hiss for a full turn of the rotor.

Also to point out, since you have to remove the caliper bracket to get the rotor off, and may need to take the rotors down to have edge lips tuned off the E drum side, now would be a good time to at least check the pads as well.

As for bolts, the large caliper bracket bolts are torqued to 125flbs, the small bolts that hold the calipers to the bracket are torqued to 23ftlbs, which all the bolts get a good dose of 242 loctite on the thread. Note, when you remove the small 15mm head caliper bolts, there are flats on the pin side that you will need to back up with a wrench.

With the star adjuster adjusted correctly so the shoes "just" do not make contact with the lever down for a full rotor turn, but the click amount of the lever is more than 12 clicks up to it highest point, then you have a worn out lever (3) that will need to be replaced. GM does not sell the lever, so you have to by the entire works (or hit up a savage yard). Hence with the cable not connected, would bank that the lever is worn out, and how someone tried to mask the problem isntead.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...category=19393

Last edited by Dano523; 08-09-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: emergency brake adjustment

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: