C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transparent top flew OFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:52 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youre right - I wont be messing with fraud. was just kicking around ideas.

yes, it was definitely tinted blue.

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
They call that insurance fraud and you can go to jail for it.

You forgot to latch it. Used to happen over in the C5 section all the time. It can happen to anyone. Take your medicine and replace the top out of your own pocket.

Are you sure it was tinted blue? All of them are tinted black I believe.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:52 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
It just occured to me that I cant just buy any transparent top, right?

Mine was tinted blue. I though this was because I have LMB color, unless they are ALL tinted blue???
You can buy any top. They are all tinted blue.

Here's a view from the inside.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:59 AM
coolcat
Race Director

i was driving down the highway and my TRANSPARENT top flew off.
A new member of the FRC.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
WEF's 95
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't "comprehensive" cover this?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I would be interested to know what the insurance company would say if you claimed this under 'full glass' coverage (let us know the results if you go that route).

QUOTE]
The fact it is not glass, and the fact it was lost through negligence might be a bit of an issue, too...
Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the trans tops lookk black from the outside. Looking out from the inside they have a blue tint to them. Give Gene at Fred beans a yell. In my opinion this is not worth the insurance route.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:00 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by coolcat
A new member of the FRC.
Wel,, not to be a stickler (goodness knows I don't want to spark the old DBS debate all over on this one ), but I'd say he is a member of the URC - Unlatched Roof Club, since IIRC, the term FRC (flying roof club) was coined specifically for those whose panels went flying with no notice due to bonding failure.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Never file a claim for anything under $3k. They will get it back from you and more, and if you do have an accident that was your fault there will be less of a chance that they drop you.

Here are some reasons why my insurance went up beleive it or not.

1.Did not bring a garaged race car through emissions....ticket (it was easier for me to pay the $100 fine, so I thought).

2. cracked windsheild on a work truck....ticket (it was easier for me to pay the $100 fine, so I thought).

OBTW, your roof was not latched.

3. Here is the kicker, Someone strung out on Heroin merging onto an empty highway (just me and them) at 3am comes across 2 lanes and hits me. $5k damage to my car $3k in personal injury (had to be on light duty for 3 weeks, 2 months of Chiro and I stopped going because it was a joke). They told me my insurance went up because I filed a claim and I did not go through my insurance co. at all. I just sued her insurance.

They will raise your rates at the drop of a hat for ANY reason they can, your fault or not. In my book they are as much a scumbag as the guy committing insurance fraud against them.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:23 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
Wel,, not to be a stickler (goodness knows I don't want to spark the old DBS debate all over on this one ), but I'd say he is a member of the URC - Unlatched Roof Club, since IIRC, the term FRC (flying roof club) was coined specifically for those whose panels went flying with no notice due to bonding failure.

FRC (flying roof club) was coined here waaay before the C6 existed. At least as early as the C5 when folks forgot to latch the top.

Last edited by BigJoe; 08-20-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:24 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like I can a top for under 1k in perfect shape. Im a little worried about being scammed. Whats the best way to handle the payment, since most likely it will need to be shipped. and will not be from a real vendor.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:33 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like I can a top for under 1k in perfect shape. Im a little worried about being scammed. Whats the best way to handle the payment, since most likely it will need to be shipped. and will not be from a real vendor.
Fred Beans is a forum vendor an a GM dealer. They do a good job and the top is shipped in its original GM packaging. Even UPS couldn't hurt it although the box looked like a gorilla had put it through a shredder...
Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 PM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WEF's 95
With my luck, that's when the rain would start.
I was at a dealer in Sarasota. He had an 06 in the shop having the entire car gutted and replaced( seats and carpet to start with), because the owners transparent lid flew off onto I-75, in the rain.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:27 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigJoe
FRC (flying roof club) was coined here waaay before the C6 existed. At least as early as the C5 when folks forgot to latch the top.

Thanks for the history! I sit corrected!

Old 08-20-2006, 05:51 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Paul

I think this is a glass claim and the comp deductible will apply, if any. Headlites, Taillites, whether glass or plastic, are commonly paid under comp coverage. Its your choice as to if you turn it in or eat it yourself. Did you know that if you have a car, and lets say it gets rolled, and all the glass gets broken and all you are carrying is comp coverage, Even tho its a collision you can still claim all your glass and plastic under comp coverage. Also, just how long had the top been in place before this happened. If this was the first time you drove the car after putting the top back in place then you probably just forgot to latch it. If you had been driving several days since the top was put back in place, then something might be wrong with something in the roof area. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do...
Old 08-20-2006, 06:41 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GN1270
Never file a claim for anything under $3k. They will get it back from you and more, and if you do have an accident that was your fault there will be less of a chance that they drop you.

Here are some reasons why my insurance went up beleive it or not.

1.Did not bring a garaged race car through emissions....ticket (it was easier for me to pay the $100 fine, so I thought).

2. cracked windsheild on a work truck....ticket (it was easier for me to pay the $100 fine, so I thought).

OBTW, your roof was not latched.

3. Here is the kicker, Someone strung out on Heroin merging onto an empty highway (just me and them) at 3am comes across 2 lanes and hits me. $5k damage to my car $3k in personal injury (had to be on light duty for 3 weeks, 2 months of Chiro and I stopped going because it was a joke). They told me my insurance went up because I filed a claim and I did not go through my insurance co. at all. I just sued her insurance.

They will raise your rates at the drop of a hat for ANY reason they can, your fault or not. In my book they are as much a scumbag as the guy committing insurance fraud against them.
sounds to me like oil prices. It does not matter whether some world event actually raises the price of oil or reduces supply...any excuse will do to raise the price. It also sounds to me like all the insurance companies are working off a gigantic linked database from which they can find out if you eat enough fiber or use too much butter on your toast.

If you are found to have done anything they unilaterally decide makes you a greater risk ( like having someone on dope hit you though absolutely no fault of yours ) then your rates go up.

Sounds like ( IMO ) insurance companies like you just fine so long as you file NO claims. As soon as you are so bold to actually 'use' the insurance you have been overpaying for they hit the ceiling.

The whole industry seems like organized extortion to me. The law says you need this such and such insurance or you cannot drive etc. Except if you are an illegal alien you don't have to have insurance ( but the State of Oregon will be happy to give you a drivers license ).

venting over. there is no fighting this collusion between government and private industry to pick our pockets. IMO all.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:29 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

It just occured to me that I cant just buy any transparent top, right?

Mine was tinted blue. I though this was because I have LMB color, unless they are ALL tinted blue???
All the tops are the same and they all appear to have a blue tint. As far as it flying off the car, I have to say you didn't have it latched properly or possibly not latched at all.

Sorry about that!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Monterrey Bill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

i was driving down the highway and my TRANSPARENT top flew off. the entire thing. as far as i know, all the latches were locked, so im not sure what to say. im sorta in shock. i drove back and i found the top in 100 pieces. the only thing that makes me feel better is that i know that nobody was hurt. i guess i need to call my insurance company now. my insurance is in new york, but i was visiting NJ for the weekend. i gues that shouldnt matter. do you foresee any issues with insurance? any similar stories? Do you think that my insurance will go up to the point that i shouldnt claim it?

Get notified of new replies

To transparent top flew OFF

Old 08-20-2006, 07:43 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Just replace it out of pocket. 5 yrs ago I asked about getting a damaged rim replaced. That still shows on State Farms records even though I paid for the rim replacement out of pocket. It's not worth the increase in your ins costs.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
The whole industry seems like organized extortion to me. The law says you need this such and such insurance or you cannot drive etc. Except if you are an illegal alien you don't have to have insurance ( but the State of Oregon will be happy to give you a drivers license ).

venting over. there is no fighting this collusion between government and private industry to pick our pockets. IMO all.
The law requires you to have insurance, so the law should offer it to everyone for a flat fee set by the same law. The fee would be included as part of the vehicle registration charge. So to get a tag, you automatically get insurance too. This gets rid of the problem of uninsured motorists, and of insurance companies jacking you around. Since sovereign immunity won't allow people to sue the state, this clears the courts of insurance cases too. The state will simply pay claims as set by law, and that's that. No personal liability claims will be allowed.

This idea will never fly, of course, because lawyers would hate it, insurance companies couldn't profit from gouging, and sue happy Americans would be disgruntled that they couldn't hit the lottery by having an accident.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:31 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 MY EGO
Just replace it out of pocket. 5 yrs ago I asked about getting a damaged rim replaced. That still shows on State Farms records even though I paid for the rim replacement out of pocket. It's not worth the increase in your ins costs.
... if you can afford the car you can afford buying a new top. Think of it as punishment for failure to control your top!!

Quick Reply: transparent top flew OFF