C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transparent top flew OFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:48 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
The law requires you to have insurance, so the law should offer it to everyone for a flat fee set by the same law.
I am glad this is not the case. So in your opinion, the person out there with a DUI on his driving record and a speeding ticket should pay the same insurance rate as a person with an impeccable driving record?

A person who drives a car which is expensive to repair/replace should pay the same rates as a person driving a 1999 Ford Taurus?

A Beverly Hills teenager with a Ferrari who has had his driver's license for a year should pay the same rate as you?

The fee would be included as part of the vehicle registration charge. So to get a tag, you automatically get insurance too.
We have enough government intervention/bureaucracy in our lives already, thank you. There are few things the government does better than private enterprise. Handling automobile insurance is probably not one of them.

This gets rid of the problem of uninsured motorists, and of insurance companies jacking you around. Since sovereign immunity won't allow people to sue the state, this clears the courts of insurance cases too. The state will simply pay claims as set by law, and that's that. No personal liability claims will be allowed.
So if I'm worth a couple hundred million and decide to street race a Mustang Cobra on the streets and crash into you, kill you, and leave your wife and kids minus the breadwinner of their household, I should just go to jail, do my time and not have to pay your widow and children a penny?

What if I don't kill you, just paralyze you from the neck down? Are you saying the state should give you whatever they think you ought to have, to take care of your medical bills, you and your family for the rest of your life, out of it's own coffers? You're saying that the taxpayers should pay?

This idea will never fly, of course, because lawyers would hate it, insurance companies couldn't profit from gouging, and sue happy Americans would be disgruntled that they couldn't hit the lottery by having an accident.
The idea won't fly because it is a very poor idea, and would foster even more personal irresponsibility, due to "government intervention" than we see already.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-21-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:22 AM
chris_u
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
I am glad this is not the case. So in your opinion, the person out there with a DUI on his driving record and a speeding ticket should pay the same insurance rate as a person with an impeccable driving record?

A person who drives a car which is expensive to repair/replace should pay the same rates as a person driving a 1999 Ford Taurus?

A Beverly Hills teenager with a Ferrari who has had his driver's license for a year should pay the same rate as you?

We have enough government intervention/bureaucracy in our lives already, thank you. There are few things the government does better than private enterprise. Handling automobile insurance is probably not one of them.

So if I'm worth a couple hundred million and decide to street race a Mustang Cobra on the streets and crash into you, kill you, and leave your wife and kids minus the breadwinner of their household, I should just go to jail, do my time and not have to pay your widow and children a penny?

What if I don't kill you, just paralyze you from the neck down. Are you saying the state should give you whatever they think you ought to have, to take care of your medical bills, you and your family for the rest of your life, out of it's own coffers? You're saying that the taxpayers should pay?

The idea won't fly because it is a very poor idea, and would foster even more personal irresponsibility, due to "government intervention" than we see already.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 AM
chris_u
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
... if you can afford the car you can afford buying a new top. Think of it as punishment for failure to control your top!!
i don't think it hase anything to do with what he can afford
he just wanted to know if he sould report it or not. i think he feel bad allready. i dont think any one sould be punishst for loseing a part of his car.

Quick Reply: transparent top flew OFF