C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount handheld GPS ? Garmin Nuvi 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:06 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Where to mount handheld GPS ? Garmin Nuvi 350

I'm pretty excited about the Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS. Just got mine today and took it for a test drive - just amazing. I actually prefer these little devices because you can pop them out of the car and put it in your shirt pocket, use it on the motorcycle or in a boat - whatever. Love it to calibrate speedometer error on my sportbike.

Well, blah blah blah -
comes with a mounting plate you can stick on the console or dash, or whatever. Or you can stick it to the windshield by suction cup.

I figure there must be lots of guys here who have this one or similar device - where is the best place to mount the holder so it's not ugly, still in plain view, and not somehow obscuring the driving view? Would love pics if you have any. Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 AM
Camaro4Life
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool. I would love to see pics!

As far as mounting, I would put it next to the piller on the left side of the dash. Try to hide it behind the piller so you can't see it from the outside.

I use Garmin Avionics Systems when flying and they are just AWESOME! I may check out their automotive products.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 AM
flaskier99
Racer

Go with this it works great. It's a two piece system that looks clean, just attach your garmin using these.
Proclip Dashmount

and this

Proclip Holder

Last edited by flaskier99; 08-23-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 AM
jimmymac
Racer

I got the Nuvi 360 and use the suction cup mount provided. I install it to the right and just below the rear view mirror. It doesn't interfear with view of the road and my copilot (wifey) can see it perfectly. This is the 3rd Garmin GPS we've had and the best.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Bugman....where did you get your Nuvi and may I ask how much it was? I've been watching pricing for a while but haven't found any super deals yet....did you?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Bugman,

Are you going to Carlisle? I have an extra Proclip dash mount you can have for $20 if you want it. PM if you are interested.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:54 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

I also love the Garmin 350, what a neat gadget. I find that if I mount it on the drivers side windshield, there is a lot of glare that affects the screen. This could be aggravated by the fact that I use a clear top on my C6. I want to mount it low near the center console.
I have my Boxster setup using the Garmin external antenna, with the 350 mounted on a metal plate with velcro holding the 350 in place. The metal plate is formed to an "L" shape and stuck between two panels of the dash, mounted low just in front of the gearshift. This works really well and I am now in the process of trying to design something similar for the C6, also using the external antenna. When I work out something for the C6, I will post photos.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 AM
WhatEverLolaWants
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use mine when we fly to the west coast. Great in rental cars. However, I've found the suction cup on the windshield doesn't always hold. Fell and broke the screen on one trip.
Went to Target, bought a black zippered makeup bag. About four inches by six inches. had my wife cut a slit in the middle and then stitched up the opening. Filled it with some buck shot.
I use the dash stand that comes with it, but I set it on the dash next to the left A pillar, put the buckshop bag on top of it. No sliding around and is very portable.
I've not had a problem getting it thru carry on for plane check in, but I haven't tried it since the new rules either.

If this approach has any appeal to you, I'll post pictures.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro4Life
cool. I would love to see pics!

As far as mounting, I would put it next to the piller on the left side of the dash. Try to hide it behind the piller so you can't see it from the outside.

I use Garmin Avionics Systems when flying and they are just AWESOME! I may check out their automotive products.

Garmin is the best on the market for aviation, IMO. I would think the carry over to automotive would be good. I would mount it to the A pillar.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:33 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flaskier99
Go with this it works great. It's a two piece system that looks cleans, just attach your garmin using these.
Proclip Dashmount

and this

Proclip Holder
I wish I would have found this ProClip site earlier. They got everything to solve any mounting problem. I just bought some stuff and intend to junk the bracket I designed for my Boxster. The bracket for the C6 should also do the job for me.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by WhatEverLolaWants
I use mine when we fly to the west coast. Great in rental cars. However, I've found the suction cup on the windshield doesn't always hold. Fell and broke the screen on one trip.
Went to Target, bought a black zippered makeup bag. About four inches by six inches. had my wife cut a slit in the middle and then stitched up the opening. Filled it with some buck shot.
I use the dash stand that comes with it, but I set it on the dash next to the left A pillar, put the buckshop bag on top of it. No sliding around and is very portable.
I've not had a problem getting it thru carry on for plane check in, but I haven't tried it since the new rules either.

If this approach has any appeal to you, I'll post pictures.
Have you ever turned it on during the flight? Very cool to see the ground positions, etc. And notice my MAX SPEED below. I love the looks I get when people notice that and I tell them its from when I broke 500 miles on the Corvette.....

Old 08-23-2006, 03:04 PM
rjward
Pro

Yeah does any one have pics of it mounted? I had been thinking of buying an in dash GPS Nav system because I didnt think it would lok very slick in the car with it on the windshield. I would love to see some real world shots.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:40 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rjward
Yeah does any one have pics of it mounted? I had been thinking of buying an in dash GPS Nav system because I didnt think it would lok very slick in the car with it on the windshield. I would love to see some real world shots.
Don't have a photo, but you are right. As soon as I mounted it on the windshield, I knew that was not the way to go.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to check back here for a few days.
Thanks so much for all the great advice !!!
yes, - please , anyone with a picture of theirs mounted in any location, please post them up. I'll have to take some time to think about the Pro Clip thing -- had looked at that before, but not sure I like having that piece of metal sticking out all the time -- can you pop it in and out , for those times when you are not using GPS ?

In the mean time I may just use the gadget that holds my pocket PC in the cupholder. I'll get a pic . Doesn't really fit - the GArmin is just a few mm too big, but you can squeeze it in if you try. I'm thinking the console or dash is the place to go, because I don't want a long power corde dangling anywere.

Thanks again for all the help !!!

Here's a pic for what I can use at least for tomorrow's trip or traffic court in Dover

Last edited by bugman; 08-26-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:01 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=bugman]Sorry I didn't get a chance to check back here for a few days.
Thanks so much for all the great advice !!!
yes, - please , anyone with a picture of theirs mounted in any location, please post them up. I'll have to take some time to think about the Pro Clip thing -- had looked at that before, but not sure I like having that piece of metal sticking out all the time -- can you pop it in and out , for those times when you are not using GPS ?
IThanks again for all the help !!!

After reading thsi thread earlier this week, I bought the ProClip angled mount for the Corvette (853643). It is not metal but plastic, and it is small - about 1 7/8" wide and 2 3/4' high. You hardly notice it. It is not made to be removed, as it is attached with double sided tape and clicks into the dash seam.

I also bought the Tilt Swivel mount (215165) that you can bolt to the angled mount. Having the swivel mount permanently attached to the angle mount looks ugly, I did not like the look of this bare **** sticking out from the mounting plate. Instead I used extra strong velcro to attach it to the plate, so that I can remove the swivel **** when not using the GPS.

I tried it this morning and it works great. I can get a strong signal without an external antenna even though the Nuvi is now down along the edge of the console next to the radio. I should note that I have a transparent roof that that might aid reception. You can swivel and turn the Nuvi to eliminate reflections and it is easy to see. This is a nice way to mount the Nuvi and the bare mounting plate does not create any aesthetic problem and is so small that it should not get in the way of the passenger.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

can you post up a pic, Dannov?
I like the Proclip idea - but like you mentioned, I just don't want something ugly sticking out of my dash. I prefer something that you can pop in and out of the car totally --
Old 08-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Craig Wagner
Pro

Just an FYI, I've got a ProClip mount in both of my cars. I did not remove the backing from the tape on either vehicle, and it's held on just fine.

If anyone wants stuff from them, email or PM me. I've got a contact that can get the stuff a little cheaper than ordering it from ProClip directly.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to mount handheld GPS ? Garmin Nuvi 350

Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bugman
I'm pretty excited about the Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS. Just got mine today and took it for a test drive - just amazing. I actually prefer these little devices because you can pop them out of the car and put it in your shirt pocket, use it on the motorcycle or in a boat - whatever. Love it to calibrate speedometer error on my sportbike.

Well, blah blah blah -
comes with a mounting plate you can stick on the console or dash, or whatever. Or you can stick it to the windshield by suction cup.

I figure there must be lots of guys here who have this one or similar device - where is the best place to mount the holder so it's not ugly, still in plain view, and not somehow obscuring the driving view? Would love pics if you have any. Thanks
The Nuvi 350 is indeed an oustanding GPS receiver and I think all makers of GPS devices should take lessons from Garmin. I own the Nuvi BUT I also have the NAV radio in my C6. I have the Nuvi to use in all of my other vehicles.

I made myself a bunch of extra plastic disks and put double sided tape on one side so that I could stick them to the top of the steering colunm in each car. This puts the Nuvi in easy view right in front of me. Yes, this position does block a little of the dash displays in all cars BUT it really isn't a problem. In one case, my speedometer is blocked but since I can see my speed on the Nuvi, it's no big deal.

The photos give you an idea of what I see in each car. I move the Nuvi between my Pickup, my wife's car, and my Super Coupe. Although I don't use the Nuvi in my Corvette, I stuck the Nuvi in there to see what it looks like. You really can still see all the gages with the Nuvi on top of the steering column. When I remove the Nuvi, all that stays behind is the round disk on top of the colomn, you have to look for it to see it.

Just more food for thought.

Last edited by quickride; 08-29-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by quickride
The Nuvi 350 is indeed an oustanding GPS receiver and I think all makers of GPS devices should take lessons from Garmin. I own the Nuvi BUT I also have the NAV radio in my C6. I have the Nuvi to use in all of my other vehicles.

I made myself a bunch of extra plastic disks and put double sided tape on one side so that I could stick them to the top of the steering colunm in each car. This puts the Nuvi in easy view right in front of me. Yes, this position does block a little of the dash displays in all cars BUT it really isn't a problem. In one case, my speedometer is blocked but since I can see my speed on the Nuvi, it's no big deal.
[/IMG]
Those are interesting photos, but I notice that in all of your shots the Nuvi antenna is not up. Also, in some of your cars it does not appear that there is enough space to extend the antenna, and in any case it would be shielded by the overhang of the upper dash.
If you are using an external antenna you still have to extend the Nuvi antenna to hook up the external. Does this mean that you can get a signal in those locations without extending the antenna?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:40 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DANNOV
Those are interesting photos, but I notice that in all of your shots the Nuvi antenna is not up. Also, in some of your cars it does not appear that there is enough space to extend the antenna, and in any case it would be shielded by the overhang of the upper dash.
If you are using an external antenna you still have to extend the Nuvi antenna to hook up the external. Does this mean that you can get a signal in those locations without extending the antenna?
Actually, the antenna is up and the GPS is functioning, notice the map showing in one of the photos. The antenna only has to be up a couple of clicks from the parked position to start working. When the antenna is parked, the GPS function is turned off to save battery power if the unit is being used for other purposes such as an MP3 player or Calculator. As soon as the antenna is opened a couple of clicks, the GPS starts functioning. The antenna does NOT need to be opened into the verticle position. In all cases, my antenna is opened to the horizontal position, basicially parrallel with the top of the steering column. There is plenty of room and the overhang of the dash does not affect the reception at all. In the case of my wife's car, the unit sits very deep into the dash cavity and I still don't have any reception problems.

I'll add that with this mounting position, the unit is easy to see, and easy to make adjustments without diverting my attention from the road. It is also close enough to hear the voice prompts if you have them turned on. I'm not sure I made it clear that I use the suction cup bracket that comes with the Nuvi to attach it to those plastic disks I told you I made. I was driven to find this mounting location because I live in California where it is illegal to use a suction cup to attach a device to your windshield.

Last edited by quickride; 08-30-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to mount handheld GPS ? Garmin Nuvi 350