C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Wallace can't do burnout

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by racelance
c5grandsport-

Tom is one heck of a road racer, which in my book takes a heck of a lot more talent. He confessed to me that he never did a burnout before, so I quickly gave him a lesson prior to jumping into the Z06. I give him ALL the credit in the world for jumping into someone else’s Corvette and trying his very first burnout in front of about 3,000 people! He's got determination like you wouldn't believe. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with him and can tell you first hand the Corvette is in better hands then ever before. Tom and Wil will make us proud with the upcoming models. Think about it for a minute - Tom = street racer/great guy & Wil = drag racer/great guy - overall we're in for some incredible Corvettes in the long haul!

One more thing, Tom Wallace has assured me and the rest of the audience that he WILL BE BACK next year to Corvettes at Carlisle and be better prepared. After having a casual dinner with the GM crew I have a funny feeling we're going to see some really incredible burnouts next year - I personally can't wait!

Rest assured the Corvette we all love and enjoy is in VERY good hands!

Special thanks to everyone that attended the event!

Sincerely,

Lance
I'll be the first one to start a standing ovation next year when he does it. Man did I feel his pain in front of all those people.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

In my opinion what is the big deal........everyone has a bad day. So he could not do a burn out so what. Everybody should have cheered him on or not made a sound.

In any event as long as he is doing his "engineer thing" on the Corvette is what really matters.

We really all need to learn not to sweat the small stuff..... as Chip Miller has said "life is good" and especially for us as we all enjoy Corvettes
Old 08-29-2006, 01:11 AM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. I don't know how to do one either.
I read this thread, and decided to try it today.

I had no problem spinning the tires in Comp mode.

I was also able to spin them a little with traction on, but not like it was without traction.

Kind of fun. There was no smoke though.
But the tires were squealing.

LEX
Old 08-29-2006, 05:35 AM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GN1270
My mother can do a burn out with a stick.
Do you have her phone number handy?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mbonness
He was a race car driver before right? Must not have won many races...

SCCA GT1 Camaro and building a SCA GT1 C6 Corvette.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 AM
bmichael
Racer

Originally Posted by c5grandsport
How sad, our new chief engineer can't do a burnout.
Right before the burnout contest at Corvettes at Carlisle, Tom Wallace took questions from the crowd. One guy asked in jest if Tom would be doing a burnout. Not knowing what he was getting himself into he says "Sure, if I had a car". Well along comes his worst nightmare - a guy comes out of the grandstand and pulls around his C5 Z06 and hands Tom the keys. Gave it about 10 attempts with all eyes on him and not even a wisp of smoke. How embarrassing!
Dave Hill where are you?
he is no longer our direct chief....tadge is.....as big as his ego is, surprised he didn't rip one?!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM
JD21029
Instructor

Hopefully this isn't too stupid, but are some of these burnout cars modified? I've done short burnouts at the strip, but they generally last 2-3 seconds, tops. I've also done burnouts on bikes, but that's easy: just keep the front brake engaged, stand up to take the weight off the rear wheel, and let er rip. You can safely smoke the rear wheel on the bike until it explodes (and I've seen that more than a few times). But I've seen cars do burnouts that last for a minute and more, and really smoke the tires. Is this car really not getting traction, or is there a brake on the front wheels while the rear brake is disengaged somehow? I just find it hard to believe that you can spin the wheels on a car for that long without getting traction eventually.

Quick Reply: Tom Wallace can't do burnout