C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Wallace can't do burnout

Old 08-27-2006, 10:38 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Tom Wallace can't do burnout

How sad, our new chief engineer can't do a burnout.
Right before the burnout contest at Corvettes at Carlisle, Tom Wallace took questions from the crowd. One guy asked in jest if Tom would be doing a burnout. Not knowing what he was getting himself into he says "Sure, if I had a car". Well along comes his worst nightmare - a guy comes out of the grandstand and pulls around his C5 Z06 and hands Tom the keys. Gave it about 10 attempts with all eyes on him and not even a wisp of smoke. How embarrassing!
Dave Hill where are you?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:54 PM
mbonness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was a race car driver before right? Must not have won many races...
Old 08-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

what a joke
Old 08-27-2006, 11:00 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Forgot to turn off the T/C?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ben dover
Forgot to turn off the T/C?
Actually, after failure #1, I yelled that to him. I know he heard because Lance Miller was standing nearby and told him the same thing. It didn't help!
By the way, Lance later did a fine burnout in a Corvette Challenge car!

Last edited by C7GrandSport; 08-27-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:46 PM
leeman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that mean he is unqualified for the job?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leeman
Does that mean he is unqualified for the job?
No, I'm certainly hoping for the best. Tom's the future of Corvette (C7 and beyond?). Just found it amusing that he got himself into that situation. For what it's worth, the owner of the car didn't do much better than him either.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:37 AM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I see the problem as a CAR that couldn't do a "burnout", not the driver.
Just my opinion...
Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Burnt71
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wasn't that the car that the clutch was burning when the owner got in to try it ? The problem wasn't with the driver. They gave it hell, but it got traction.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:38 AM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Burnt71
Wasn't that the car that the clutch was burning when the owner got in to try it ? The problem wasn't with the driver. They gave it hell, but it got traction.
Could be. But that didn't change the fact that people in the crowd started booing, yelling "loser" and "next". I felt bad for the guy. But it was kinda funny.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:04 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt71

Yeah....I think you are right.......you could see the smoke from the clutch and wasn't it a C5 z06 and not the new 505hp version?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:21 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blittle
Yeah....I think you are right.......you could see the smoke from the clutch and wasn't it a C5 z06 and not the new 505hp version?
Not sure what yor implying, but the 405 HP Z will boil the hides off those GY's. Did you see the video of Dale Jr on Late Night with David Letterman? Now that was a burn out.

Tom
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by c5grandsport
How sad, our new chief engineer can't do a burnout.
Right before the burnout contest at Corvettes at Carlisle, Tom Wallace took questions from the crowd. One guy asked in jest if Tom would be doing a burnout. Not knowing what he was getting himself into he says "Sure, if I had a car". Well along comes his worst nightmare - a guy comes out of the grandstand and pulls around his C5 Z06 and hands Tom the keys. Gave it about 10 attempts with all eyes on him and not even a wisp of smoke. How embarrassing!
Dave Hill where are you?
c5grandsport-

Tom is one heck of a road racer, which in my book takes a heck of a lot more talent. He confessed to me that he never did a burnout before, so I quickly gave him a lesson prior to jumping into the Z06. I give him ALL the credit in the world for jumping into someone else’s Corvette and trying his very first burnout in front of about 3,000 people! He's got determination like you wouldn't believe. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with him and can tell you first hand the Corvette is in better hands then ever before. Tom and Wil will make us proud with the upcoming models. Think about it for a minute - Tom = street racer/great guy & Wil = drag racer/great guy - overall we're in for some incredible Corvettes in the long haul!

One more thing, Tom Wallace has assured me and the rest of the audience that he WILL BE BACK next year to Corvettes at Carlisle and be better prepared. After having a casual dinner with the GM crew I have a funny feeling we're going to see some really incredible burnouts next year - I personally can't wait!

Rest assured the Corvette we all love and enjoy is in VERY good hands!

Special thanks to everyone that attended the event!

Sincerely,

Lance
Old 08-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by racelance
c5grandsport-

One more thing, Tom Wallace has assured me and the rest of the audience that he WILL BE BACK next year to Corvettes at Carlisle and be better prepared. After having a casual dinner with the GM crew I have a funny feeling we're going to see some really incredible burnouts next year - I personally can't wait!

Sincerely,

Lance
Glad to hear there will be a next year for Corvettes at Carlisle! I read something a month or two ago about a property sale that would have meant the event would move elsewhere.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Tom was (still is) a road racer. Unlinke drag racers, there's not a lot of burnouts in road racing. There's also something else everyone should know. In the burnout section, there was a concrete divider about 10 feet in front of the car doing the burnout to prevent the car from going into the crowd in a mishap. The last thing Tom wanted to do was make a mistake and put someone else's vette into a wall!!! He is a top notch guy and a pleasure to talk to. He sons still race and he dables in it on the weekends, so if any of you road racers ever get a chance to talk to him, you will be very happy!
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
there was a concrete divider about 10 feet in front of the car doing the burnout to prevent the car from going into the crowd in a mishap. The last thing Tom wanted to do was make a mistake and put someone else's vette into a wall!!!
Ahh, the rest of the story.

Tom
Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 AM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mbonness
He was a race car driver before right? Must not have won many races...
Actually he did....and burnouts don't win races. He was also borrowing someone elses car and clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To Tom Wallace can't do burnout

Old 08-28-2006, 12:50 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Tom was (still is) a road racer. Unlinke drag racers, there's not a lot of burnouts in road racing. There's also something else everyone should know. In the burnout section, there was a concrete divider about 10 feet in front of the car doing the burnout to prevent the car from going into the crowd in a mishap. The last thing Tom wanted to do was make a mistake and put someone else's vette into a wall!!! He is a top notch guy and a pleasure to talk to. He sons still race and he dables in it on the weekends, so if any of you road racers ever get a chance to talk to him, you will be very happy!

If it wasn't the cars fault there is no excuse in the world why someone who is involved with the Corvette program and is a professional race car driver cannot do a burn out. My mother can do a burn out with a stick.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:06 PM
ike
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This does seem odd. I mean, I've never had any problem spinning the wheels on any 6-speed Vette I've ever had. Rev it up a bit and dump the clutch.

But I guess maybe if he was trying to be easy on the guy's clutch and the road surface was rough and the temperature was warm enough, it might have been difficult.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Funny how some people are so assuming and given into second guessing. There are a million and one reasons why a car may not do a successful burnout. Anyone that has practiced them ought to know that. Oh yeah, if you question Tom's ability with a vette, just show up at a roadcourse with him sometime. You had better bring your A game. I ran with him at Putnam and hope to see him at CMP later this year. Y'all come on down to CMP this October.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tom Wallace can't do burnout