C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

How to Fix Your C6 Wiggling Rear View Mirror

Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Musiqone
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiggly Rear View Mirror

Originally Posted by siffert
This is a sad story with a happy ending. I got my 2007 coupe a few weeks ago and one of the first things I did was install a Great Lakes Trophy rear view mirror mount for my Valentine One along with a
Invisicord which attached from the Val 1 to the rear view mirror power cord. In any event, while I never dismounted the mirror, I did move it around on its ball joint a lot toying and playing with my install of mirror mount, Val 1 and Inviscord. Any why not? Did the same to my 2001 Monte Carlo with NO problem. But lo and behold, the Vette uses a stupidly engineered cam lock system to attach the rear view mirror to the windshield. Then my problems started. My mirror started wiggling and would not hold its position. Just like others on this forum with the same problem even though they had no detector attached to the mirror. So I took it to the dealer who told me a) there are no replacement parts for the disc held by 3 torx screws or the spring pins. You can only get a new mirror. They also told me this would not be covered under warranty because I installed that mount on the mirror. The "corvette" tech told me nothing could be done to fix it. So I ordered a new mirror for $300.00 (list price $368.00!).

Anyways, I took both mirrors today to a local place near me which installs customs parts on pickups/vans etc. Its not a garage per se and they do not do mechanical work per se. They took pity on me (not to mention they liked my 2007). They took a look at my wiggly mirror. He took a #8 Torx tool and easily unscrewed the 3 torx screws. He took the disk out along with the three pins. The pins were all bent and he took a wrench and straightened them. He put it back together. I took it out to my vette and twisted it in and voila!! its like new again with no wiggles . As a bonus, he cut a piece of black racing stripe tape and shaped it to the size of that stupid PASSENGER AIR BAG ON OFF light, put it over it and voila, that mesage is gone! Monday, the new $300.00 mirror goes back to the dealer for my money back and a good talking to the service manager!

The bottom line is the C6 mirror can take only so much swiviling on its ball joint and then that pressure gets to the cam lock which then starts to loosen up as the pins go out of whack and/or the little bumps on the disk get ground down. That really sucks. But it is fixable. So if you have the C6 rear view mirror "wiggles" just take it apart and fix it as told above, before you buy a new mirror.

Oh, I read somwhere that if you unplug your mirror and dismount it, NEVER start the car until you at least re-plug the mirror back in. If you dont, you will loose all memory of your various modules and they will all have to be reprogrammed.
Thanks for the information, this is my first Corvette and I'm finding this Forum very useful. I waited 30 years to own a Vette and I refuse to let a "Wiggly Mirror" discourage me. (Smile) Thanks again I can't wait to try it.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Just fixed my mirror with 5/64 drill bits. I used 2 channel lock pliers to break the drill bits and then used the grinder to get them to the right length. HD has the bits 2 for 2.37 and a multi bit torx jewler's type screwdriver for a little over 5. $11 and my mirror is rock solid and I have a new tool.

Easy 10 min job.
I made this same repair about a month ago. The only problem I had was finding the tiny Torx screwdriver needed to remove the three screws holding down the cover ring on the back of the mirror. I did have to use a drop of penetrating oil on each screw head to break them free. I messed up by grinding the first set of three 5/64" drill bit shanks just a tad too short, and had to go back to Lowe's for another set. I was more careful to grind that second set to just the right lengths to lay down perfectly in their grooves. With the cover ring screwed back on, the mirror snapped onto its mounting stump perfectly and my rear view has been solid and perfectly clear ever since.
The following users liked this post:
roofus (08-01-2018)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

OK most of the problems seem to be with the mirror attachment to the windshield.

In my case it was the swivel joint on the back of the mirror that was loose. I (de)polished the "ball" of the swivel joint with 320 sandpaper and now I can hit a bump without the mirror falling down.

My 2 - cents, YMMV

Last edited by Dutch08; 09-21-2017 at 03:40 PM.
11GrandSport (09-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent fix. 1/4 turn clockwise unhitched the mirror from the windshield. Easy straightening of the pins fixed the wobble. Thank you for the tip.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:11 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I used 5/64 drill bits today to do the fix. It was $2.99 for a two pack at Ace Hardware and I bought two. Took two pairs of pliers, snapped them leaving the straight shank part slightly longer than the original pins, which are right at an inch. Used the grinder to shave them down until they fit in the holder. Best 15 mins I've spent on my car in a while.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:12 PM
roofus
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default wiggly mirror on C6

Hi everyone, i just logged on as a new member and have kudo's to send to this thread.

I had a "wiggly mirror " issue and i initially went to the dealer and asked that they would have a workaround that would simply fix this issue and two different service people advised absolutely NOT and that i would have to buy a new mirror if i remember correctly at $740 at a Canadian Dealership.. others have quoted $400 and higher .... either way i was appointed to find that it is still expensive.
So, in the meantime i tried to wedge stuff in there , tape it, velcro and everything else of which.....it worked for a while but whatever i used failed...

till i actually searched the other night about the "wiggly mirror " issue ....

so, here i am thanking the board for the info and to tell how i, a not very skilled mechanic..... fixed it in less than half an hour for under $2.00.

1) i removed mirror carefully ( please check other posts for pics and see what it looks like and needs to remove )
2) eventually found the correct TORX bit ( of which someone had quoted a T6 .... the correct size is T8) and removed the 3 screws on the back of the mirror .... which then exposes the back side of the mirror mount and the small plate that holds the pins/springs in place. At this point i could see wear and bent pins inside and remove them
3) i called the dealer and they said they are special order from USA ( to me in Canada) and prices were for pins only around 20 dollars and at least a week or two away
4) i checked further in the thread and saw someone suggested a 5/64 drill bit ... of which i had a set of 100 bits and i had 5 in that size ....i broke three needed with pliers and vice grip to the approximate length and then ran to an auto shop down the street to grind to exact same length as old pins
5) came home placed pins in ,and reinstalled the T8 screw in the plate after cleaning up the mirror and etc
6) out to car crossing fingers and voila installed and no wiggly ...... all i can say is if this stays this way less than half an hour and pennies for the drill bits ( shop ground them for free )
i hope this helps and i havent missed anything ... thank you thank you thank you
thank you to all the input from the thread and i hope this helps at least one person as it did me

Scott
2007Atomic orange coupe
Ontario,Canada
The following 2 users liked this post by roofus:
Biggie G (08-01-2018), clegrand (08-27-2020)
Old 08-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^ Awesome First Post!!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Nice job Scott!!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

This is one of he common complaints and luckily my 2008 is rigid as can be with 42,000 miles on the car. I must confess though that the mirror hardly ever gets adjusted. I am the only driver of the car which helps.

Nice it is a easy fix.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:41 AM
new 2 me
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2010 base vert, no hud, no nav, if I want the mirror in hand to change out the bulbs I will have to unplug a small electric harness won’t I ? Thanks
Old 12-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:44 PM
clegrand
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

incredible info .. I had been living with the wiggly mirror for quite some time.. I had asked the dealer to look at it once.. and the service tech broke the windshield, forcing the dealer to replace it at their cost .. but the rear view mirror was still wiggly .. heh .. so I was a bit reticent to touch it myself .. however, followed the directions above.. bought the 5/64 bits, ground them and voila! no more wiggles! 🤙🏼
Old 06-22-2022, 08:32 PM
CRB357
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks to those who figured this fix out. I used the 5/64 drill bits. I cut mine with a Dremel just past an 1”. Grinding wheel to perfect fit. Remounted mirror and absolutely no wiggle. Thanks again.
BMF_C6 (08-11-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 03:51 PM
cadbob
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought .078 piano Wire from a Online Hobby Store got like 6 Sticks 12" Long for $3.00 (Only way they sold) Took Mirror off Sprayed each Torx Screw with PB Penetrating Oil waited 5 minutes Un-Screw and used a fine Jeweler type Flat head to pry around and up the plate. Matched pin Lengths up hack sawed slightly longer than used dremel sanding wheel till length fit in pin pocket of Plate, screwed back together used Lock Tight Blue on each screw. Vibration cured! Original Pins weren't really that bent, must be some wear maybe they thinned out some since 2012 or 11 when ever car was built (2012 GS)
Old 08-08-2022, 06:13 PM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting that GM part 25896360 has supposedly been discontinued and is now unobtainium. My mirror is still pretty much ok but I will be performing the recommended fix here, thanks to all the fantastic suggestions.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 PM
cadbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by mbsigman
Interesting that GM part 25896360 has supposedly been discontinued and is now unobtainium. My mirror is still pretty much ok but I will be performing the recommended fix here, thanks to all the fantastic suggestions.

Make sure you soak torx screw for a bit in penetrating oil they used a Thread Lock from Factory.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:16 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB357
Thanks to those who figured this fix out. I used the 5/64 drill bits. I cut mine with a Dremel just past an 1”. Grinding wheel to perfect fit. Remounted mirror and absolutely no wiggle. Thanks again.
The drill bit fix is the best by far. Will never bend like the OEM metal pins!!!
Old 08-11-2022, 09:26 PM
cadbob
Instructor

I just used these, I know just cold roll steel and not hardened but for ease of uses of working with cold roll like OEM and simplicity of it I have enough to make pins for 100's of vetts LOL

They sent my 9 12" Pcs for 2.69

https://slotcarcorner.com/collection...-wire-078-x-12

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Fix Your C6 Wiggling Rear View Mirror