C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-Speed VS Paddle Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Default 6-Speed VS Paddle Shift

Has any of you 6 speeders had the chance to drive a paddle shift? If so, what was your impression? Did you like it enought to think, "I could get use to this". I have not driven a paddle shift but am very curious.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Has any of you 6 speeders had the chance to drive a paddle shift? If so, what was your impression? Did you like it enought to think, "I could get use to this". I have not driven a paddle shift but am very curious.
In 47 years driving I've only had two cars that were automatic's, my first two vettes an 2000 and a 2003 Z06 where 6 speeds. My latest is the paddle shifter automatic--that I think is totally awesome IMOH there is no one going to shift faster then putting the pedal to the metal and having the computer shift for you.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Paul Eggermann
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have always had cars with manual transmissions and absolutely loved my 99 6 speed. I got my 06 with paddle shift and have no regrets. It is actually easier to drive in the mountains (such as the Blue Ridge Parkway) and makes easy work of shifting to stay in the right place on the power curve when you are really pumping the twisties. It is also faster on the straight and I doubt that there are many MN6's that can be as consistent at the drags. I always have it in Sport mode and use the paddles most of the time. If I am going to give someone a run for their money I put it in Sport but do not use the paddles because it does a better job than I can do. This trans will become the only automatic GM uses.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

My daughter's Mini Cooper S auto is a hoot to drive.
More fun than my C6 shifter.
My next Vette will be a paddler.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:10 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

I got the A6 paddle shift on my 07 z51. I love it. very very fast in S mode.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

I prefer manual transmissions because I like the feel of a direct connection between the engine and the drive wheels. The fluid coupling of an automatic just softens things up too much for me.

That said, the auto box is great, especially for fast shifts at full throttle--it's certainly a lot faster than I am. It also makes downshifts simpler, but takes away some of the fun of matching revs.

Overall, though, I could be perfectly happy with the six-speed auto. It's a fine transmission.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are all the "the paddles are for wimps, it's not a real sports car, only if my leg gets cut off, I don't like the car deciding when to shift for me, my sports cars will never have paddles " posts?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default A6!

A6 IMO is the only way to go. Clutching is old school, no fun in stop and go traffic either. Now before the flames start you gotta ask yourself, why are there so many ZO6's up for sale? Can't always be about the money?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had driven a '96 CE LT4 with manual shift for 10 years when I decided last Spring that it was My Turn for a new car. I agonized for weeks whether to get MN6 or A6 and in the end I went with the paddle shifter. I currently have an '07 on order with a stick shift. I know that when it gets here, the Wifely-Unit will begin to apply gentle pressure to sell one or the other of those cars. "Nobody needs 2 cars." If I am finally forced to a choice, I'm not sure which side of the fence I'll fall off of.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Vetti3
Heel & Toe

Default I'd still prefer the stick

Even though I have a A6, I still prefer to drive a manual. Just wish C6 manual is less clunky than it is now. I do get bored with A6 from time to time and manual is definitely the purist's way to drive a sports car.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monts
Where are all the "the paddles are for wimps, it's not a real sports car, only if my leg gets cut off, I don't like the car deciding when to shift for me, my sports cars will never have paddles " posts?
Here you go, brace yourself.

The first three letters of manual are M, A, and N. So go on, be a MAN and get a car with a real transmission.

There are two types of Corvette drivers: those with a 6 speed manual, and those with an excuse.

What's the biggest disgrace in all of Corvette history? 1982, when no manual transmissions were offered. As far as I'm concerned, they didn't build real Corvettes that year.

And for the "paddle" shifter, it's not a real paddle shifter. It's just a regular tiptronic device similar to one you would find in a Chrysler sedan. The only major difference is the switch is wired up to the steering wheel. There is a HUGE difference between the GM A6 "paddle shifter" and a real F1-style paddle setup.

Now who is offended?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by bigearl56
A6 IMO is the only way to go. Clutching is old school, no fun in stop and go traffic either. Now before the flames start you gotta ask yourself, why are there so many ZO6's up for sale? Can't always be about the money?

I drive from Santa Clarita to Long Beach every weekday, about 57 miles through downtown Los Angeles. My three cars all have manual transmissions. Driving a stick in heavy traffic just means two feet have to move up/down, instead of one.

The Corvette's clutch is much lighter than my GTO's, and it's much more linear in its takeup than the one in my Accord V6 MT6. Overall, the Vette is a pretty good traffic car.

That said, the auto makes for a fine car and I'm sure I'd be faster on both a dragstrip and a road course in an automatic-equiped car. I just happen to like the manual.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 PM
bassvet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

I have both, MN6 and A6 Paddle, the A6 can be shifted anytime you want up or down as long as the paddles are activated it's only auto in S mode if you don't activate the paddles. I drive both on a regular basis and prefer the A6 but the fun of the MN6 will never change. What makes the A6 even better and more responsive is the LS2 performance edit for the A6/paddle..... Super tight...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I had purchased a 2006 Black C6 Coupe with Paddle shift in Jan.06, loved the car until I drove a manual 6 speed, I was blown away at what a different car it was I loved it so much that I sold my 06 with only 1200 miles and got an 07 manual same color & options but added the Z51 I truely am satisfied now.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KMK454
Here you go, brace yourself.

And for the "paddle" shifter, it's not a real paddle shifter. It's just a regular tiptronic device similar to one you would find in a Chrysler sedan.
The fake paddle shifter does a pretty darn good job of beating most manuals on the strip or at the course, just think how great the car will be when they put in a real paddle shifter!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
wsharp24
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghostRder
In 47 years driving I've only had two cars that were automatic's, my first two vettes an 2000 and a 2003 Z06 where 6 speeds. My latest is the paddle shifter automatic--that I think is totally awesome IMOH there is no one going to shift faster then putting the pedal to the metal and having the computer shift for you.

I love the A6...the way to go...just floor it and hold on!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
rayainsw
Racer

Default A6 4 me... ( YMMV )

“Now who is offended?” - KMK454

I am not offended in the least, but:

I happen to have recently purchased a 2007 Corvette Coupe – with automatic trans. – as most Coupe & Convertible buyers do still choose.

[ The Bowling Green Assembly Plant web site shows for 2006: 66.1% of Coupes and 72.9 % of Convertibles were built with the six speed automatic. Obviously, no Z06s were. ]

I truly do understand the often stated view that use of manual transmissions significantly enhances the ( sporting aspects of ) the driving experience. I used to share that view.

My current view is that automatic transmissions ( including, the DSG \ SMG \ PDK devices that are actually manual transmissions, with no torque converter ) have now reached the point where they are actually superior to manuals in some critical aspects. My last 4 Sport Sedans have had manumatics. And my current ‘ride’ has a very good one.

We are clearly a nation where the average age is rising – and with an older populace, typically comes an increase in disabilities that limit physical functioning.

And heavy traffic (where, for many, a manual is just work – no fun at all) is becoming ever more widespread.

I owned and drove nothing but manual trans. cars for many, many years. 3 on the column, 4-or-5-on the floor – even 4 on the tree ( \ column - a Peugeot – mid-1960s 404 model, I believe) and 4 speed with separate O/D (Volvo).

But I (and many others) have either physical reasons to require an automatic – and / or simply the desire not to have to deal with a clutch all the time. The current crop of manumatics offers an opportunity to significantly enhance the gear change aspect of driving a car when desired - with the option of simply popping it into full automatic mode when Hotlanta area traffic becomes more stop than go. In my case, severe bursitis [ excuse, if you will ] plus traffic I cannot avoid means I will never buy another car with a clutch.

And that’s now just fine with me. In the case of my current Daily Driver, that 2007 Corvette Coupe with six speed automatic, one can also ‘lock’ the trans. in second gear. I have found this useful in some of the stop \ go \ stop \ slow traffic situations I often encounter on my commute home late afternoons. The torque converter cushions the on \ off transitions somewhat. There is some engine braking available. And second gear in this trans. allows 0 to approx. 86 MPH. Sufficient.

I did not select this option in expectation that the acceleration ( shifting ) would be any quicker than I could do with a manual trans. No ‘performance advantage’ anticipated. But since I have only driven one vehicle with a manual ( friend’s Jeep Wrangler ) in the past 10+ years, I am certain that this automatic shifts both more quickly and more consistently than I now could. And the paddle shift \ manumatic feature certainly allows me significant additional control ( involvement ) when I drive my car than is possible when in either of the ‘pure automatic’ modes.

With six gears and such a ( very ) wide ratio spread – and great steaming piles of torque at any RPM – I can certainly accelerate from any speed, in my choice of gears, at an ‘entertaining’ rate. Certainly as quickly as anyone needs to accelerate in the real world. I do not expect to drive my Corvette on any race track. I did buy it for the entertainment value it offers – and this automatic trans. allows me to enjoy driving a Corvette.

Some will forever maintain that a Corvette ( or any sports \ GT car ) equipped with any automatic trans. is heresy ( or worse ) and that is just fine with me. My $$s, my choice – and I am very, very happy with my choice!

Just my $0.01.5 worth = with a penny and a half ‘mail in rebate’ = FREE!

- Ray
Not a powertrain engineer & don’t even play one on TV. . .

Get notified of new replies

To 6-Speed VS Paddle Shift

Old 11-15-2006, 12:57 PM
own2vettes
Melting Slicks

400 lbs/ft of fairly flat torque curve doesn't need a manual tranny.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Flat out did not like my last 2 GM mn6's-97 and 01 and flat out do like the a6.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:35 PM
dcress1127
Safety Car

I think as you get older, you like more creature comforts and automatic trans is one of those (I remember doing parades in my 4 speeds) and too, my wife cannot drive a 4 speed. That is to say she either killed the engine or the back tires went up in smoke so, when we ordered the new 07, I was really intrigued by the paddle shift. We now have the mild mannered power harnessed in the automatic, but if I feel like I want to DRIVE the car then, all I have to do is turn the dial.

Now, if only they would come up with another button that would give you an exhaust that is quiet in normal mode and loud as a race car when you want it to be

Quick Reply: 6-Speed VS Paddle Shift