C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 PM
dolphin2551
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view mirror courtesy lights

When i leave the car at night the lights go out except the rear view mirror courtesy lights they dim don't go out completely the switches on the mirror are off and the dimming switch is off also, is this normal ,you can't tell their on unless you look up under the mirror their really dim OR is there another light in the mirror other then the courtesy lights that stays on after the car turns off? It may not be the courtesy bulbs i'll take them out tommorrow and see want happens tommorrow night!

Last edited by dolphin2551; 11-17-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No, all the interior lights should go off. The 2 mirror lights you're talking about are the only lights in the mirror.

1. Be sure both mirror light switches (bottom of mirror) are PUSHED IN.
2. Hit the dimmer switch one time & release. There's nothing about this switch that will tell you whether the lights are on or off. So if there're still staying on after you've done no. 1 above, hit the switch one more time.

That should fix your problem.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:32 AM
dolphin2551
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, all the interior lights should go off. The 2 mirror lights you're talking about are the only lights in the mirror.

1. Be sure both mirror light switches (bottom of mirror) are PUSHED IN.
2. Hit the dimmer switch one time & release. There's nothing about this switch that will tell you whether the lights are on or off. So if there're still staying on after you've done no. 1 above, hit the switch one more time.

That should fix your problem.
NO,it didn't fix the problem the courtesy lights stayed on but very dim they where still being feed electric when i push the buttons they would get brighter must be a short because when i pushed the buttons again they would just dim not completely shut off Thanks for your reply
Old 11-18-2006, 07:34 AM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by dolphin2551
NO,it didn't fix the problem the courtesy lights stayed on but very dim they where still being feed electric when i push the buttons they would get brighter must be a short because when i pushed the buttons again they would just dim not completely shut off Thanks for your reply
On the left side of the dash the control for dimming the dash light is also the on/off for the mirror lamps, push it in to turn off lamps, I keep hitting this by accident and it drove me crazy until I figured it out. When all else fails, read the manual

Owner manual 3-18:

Courtesy Lamps
When any door or the hatch/trunk lid is opened, the
interior lamps will go on unless it is bright outside.
You can also turn the courtesy lamps on and off
by pressing the instrument panel brightness ****.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:48 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

The stupidity of this entire system is that there's no way of knowing if the switches are on or off. The dimmer/interior light switch stays in the same position regardless of whether or not it's been pressed. The mirror switches have to be pressed to see if they're in or out ... plus they work opposite of every switch in the world. Where else would you press a button in to turn it off?

Since the lights are on a delay and stay active for a while after the car is off, you can't tell if you've accidentally left them on when you shut off the car. You have to stand there and wait to see if they finally dim out. No car is perfect, but whoever designed this lighting system should be fired.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

When i leave the car at night the lights go out except the rear view mirror courtesy lights they dim don't go out completely the switches on the mirror are off and the dimming switch is off also, is this normal ,you can't tell their on unless you look up under the mirror their really dim OR is there another light in the mirror other then the courtesy lights that stays on after the car turns off? It may not be the courtesy bulbs i'll take them out tommorrow and see want happens tommorrow night!
Be aware the car is designed so if you forget to turn off interior lights, they are automatically turned off after 20 minutes. If that doesn't occur, you have a bigger problem.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Orbit
Advanced

I had the same problem the day I picked up my car. I suspect that the light switch (dimmer) was pushed in while the car was being cleaned. I didn't notice it all day while driving the car. Parked it in the garage an noticed the mirror courtesy lights were still on. Hit the dimmer switch and pushed both courtesy light switches and all lights went out. Very confusing the first time.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me after I brought her home the first day. Read the manual, not very clear instructions, called the salesman and he advised what to do. Very poor design, hopefully it is changed in the C7.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:37 AM
SDCEB
Pro

Originally Posted by Orbit
I had the same problem the day I picked up my car. I suspect that the light switch (dimmer) was pushed in while the car was being cleaned. I didn't notice it all day while driving the car. Parked it in the garage an noticed the mirror courtesy lights were still on. Hit the dimmer switch and pushed both courtesy light switches and all lights went out. Very confusing the first time.
I had the same thing happen the day that I bought mine. I don't even recall how I figured it out, but it was driving me crazy, because I simply couldn't figure out how to turn off the lights. Hasn't happened since, fortunately for me.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shortski
On the left side of the dash the control for dimming the dash light is also the on/off for the mirror lamps, push it in to turn off lamps, I keep hitting this by accident and it drove me crazy until I figured it out. When all else fails, read the manual

Owner manual 3-18:

Courtesy Lamps
When any door or the hatch/trunk lid is opened, the
interior lamps will go on unless it is bright outside.
You can also turn the courtesy lamps on and off
by pressing the instrument panel brightness ****.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
dolphin2551
Instructor

Default replies

Originally Posted by Lightning Coyote
Want to thank everyone for your suggestions and replies did everything suggested and have come to a conclusion that there is a short feeding the courtesy lights at night the lights turned off in the morning something that is activated at night is feeding a small amout of electricity to the courtesy lights giving them a slight dim to them the car will go to the shop monday will post results Thanks to all!Carl
Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Be aware the car is designed so if you forget to turn off interior lights, they are automatically turned off after 20 minutes. If that doesn't occur, you have a bigger problem."

Guess I have a bigger problem as that 20 minute deal never worked on my 2007 coupe. Rather than take it into my dealer I got Priority Start.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:17 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm voting for "that's normal"

I didn't notice what you're talking about when I had the factory bulbs installed, but after changing them to blue LED bulbs I noticed it. Thinking the LED's were somehow causing the problem I put the OEM bulbs back in. It happened with them also, only it's a lot harder to see. The blue LED's went back in and they still have the slight glow, but I'm not worried about it any more.

FWIW, all of the switches are definitely off. The lights stay on until the lock/alarm is activated, then they slowly dim until they turn off, but if it's really dark and you look closely you can still see the mirror lights barely glowing. I probably would have never noticed it if I hadn't installed the LED's (require much less current, so whatever is present with them "off" makes the LED's brighter than the stock bulbs).

FYI, If you'd like to get the blue LED bulbs, go to ebay and search for "194 blue led". If you'd like to be sure you get quality bulbs add "piaa" to the search. The mirror and footwell bulbs are all the same 168/194 style, and you'll need 4 bulbs total. I think it looks pretty cool in my LMB coupe. You won't be able to read a book in the car any more, but I wasn't planning on doing that anyway.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:36 AM
siffert
Safety Car

"I didn't notice what you're talking about when I had the factory bulbs installed, but after changing them to blue LED bulbs I noticed it. Thinking the LED's were somehow causing the problem I put the OEM bulbs back in. It happened with them also, only it's a lot harder to see. The blue LED's went back in and they still have the slight glow, but I'm not worried about it any more.

FWIW, all of the switches are definitely off. The lights stay on until the lock/alarm is activated, then they slowly dim until they turn off, but if it's really dark and you look closely you can still see the mirror lights barely glowing. I probably would have never noticed it if I hadn't installed the LED's (require much less current, so whatever is present with them "off" makes the LED's brighter than the stock bulbs)."

My vote (for the filament bulbs) that it is not normal but for the LED's it is normal. The problem with the LED's is those mirror lights are connected directly to the Body Processor Module. The Solid State switching device in the module depends on the low resistance of a standard filament bulb to turn off completely. The higher resistance of the LED will cause the Solid State Device (Power Transistor) to be biased so that a small amount of current will flow in the "Off State". Other lights (such as the exterior 194 type filament bulb sidemarkers on the Vette) are slaved to a relay that turns them off or on. The relay is fed by the Body Processor Module. When the relay is off, there is zero current flowing (no leakage). Hence, those markers will not "Glow" when off for LEDS.

The solution to that LED "off glow" is to use a resister, say a 25 Ohm, 25 Watt resistor that is connected across those wires connected to the LED's to simulate the load of a miniature 194 filament bulb. Had the same problem in my Jaguar XK8 when switching my sidemarkers to LED's.

Last edited by siffert; 11-19-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by siffert
My vote (for the filament bulbs) that it is not normal but for the LED's it is normal. The problem with the LED's is those mirror lights are connected directly to the Body Processor Module. The Solid State switching device in the module depends on the low resistance of a standard filament bulb to turn off completely. The higher resistance of the LED will cause the Solid State Device (Power Transistor) to be biased so that a small amount of current will flow in the "Off State". Other lights (such as the exterior 194 type filament bulb sidemarkers on the Vette) are slaved to a relay that turns them off or on. The relay is fed by the Body Processor Module. When the relay is off, there is zero current flowing (no leakage). Hence, those markers will not "Glow" when off for LEDS.

The solution to that LED "off glow" is to use a resister, say a 25 Ohm, 25 Watt resistor that is connected across those LED's to simulate the load of a miniature 194 filament bulb. Had the same problem in my Jaguar XK8 when switching my sidemarkers to LED's.
Good info. I just ordered my LED lites. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we first got our 05 interior lighting system drove us crazy. Totally stupid design. Even now when I clean the interior or adjust the mirror sometimes I hit a button and then one mirror light stays on.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by siffert
"I didn't notice what you're talking about when I had the factory bulbs installed, but after changing them to blue LED bulbs I noticed it. Thinking the LED's were somehow causing the problem I put the OEM bulbs back in. It happened with them also, only it's a lot harder to see. The blue LED's went back in and they still have the slight glow, but I'm not worried about it any more.

FWIW, all of the switches are definitely off. The lights stay on until the lock/alarm is activated, then they slowly dim until they turn off, but if it's really dark and you look closely you can still see the mirror lights barely glowing. I probably would have never noticed it if I hadn't installed the LED's (require much less current, so whatever is present with them "off" makes the LED's brighter than the stock bulbs)."

The solution to that LED "off glow" is to use a resister, say a 25 Ohm, 25 Watt resistor that is connected across those wires connected to the LED's to simulate the load of a miniature 194 filament bulb. Had the same problem in my Jaguar XK8 when switching my sidemarkers to LED's.

Well, I put in my LED's tonight and I do not have the problem of the "Off Glow". As I watch the LED's dim there is a point where they definitely switch off. There is no continuing dim to darkness, they dim to a certain point then all of a sudden they are off. So I do not have to use the resister to load the module. Mine is an 05, 11/04 build.

If you want, try Superbrightled's, that is what I am using and am having no problems with their LEDs.

Edit: Well, I lied, sorry. Turns out I do have the "off glow" So now the question becomes, is this a real problem or not? With the extremely low draw of the LEDs I am thinking that it should be no problem with battery drain. But I do wonder if this will keep the BCM energized leading to DBS? Guess the thing to do here is try it and see what happens.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 11-22-2006 at 10:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear view mirror courtesy lights

Old 11-23-2006, 08:06 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Edit: Well, I lied, sorry. Turns out I do have the "off glow" So now the question becomes, is this a real problem or not? With the extremely low draw of the LEDs I am thinking that it should be no problem with battery drain. But I do wonder if this will keep the BCM energized leading to DBS? Guess the thing to do here is try it and see what happens.

Credit to you for fessing up Anyways, you are correct, it should be no problem with battery drain and dont think it will lead to DBS. Guess the resistors are out of the question due to placement and having to use 4 of them (footwells & mirrors...did you pop them in the trunk too?) What I got in my '07 is that Priority Start hooked to my battery so at least as long as the battery is OK I will still be able to start my car in the event of some C6 goofy problems. Let us know how it turns out-I dont have LED's inside my C6 ( soon going to exterior clear sidemarkers w/led's), just on the outside of my Jag.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:22 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why change the lights from filament to LED? Just wondering.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:44 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Why change the lights from filament to LED? Just wondering.

Well, some put led's in the interior of the car for a different color look. For the exterior, some put led's on sidemarkers and tail lights for a much brighter look...led's are much brighter than filaments though they dont reflect as much as filaments and this case more of those led's are needed. In my case, I use "stealthbulbs" (filaments) on my C6 front turn signal lights which show silver when off and amber when one, getting rid of that yellow egg color of the normal ones when off. I had to use LED's for the rear of my Jag (and soon C6) when I installed clear sidemakers (think those look cool to me) as they dont sell red (type 194 wedge) filament bulbs for the rear sidemarkers and had to go to red led's.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror courtesy lights