C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:03 PM
briancuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Garage Door Opener

I have Overhead door - the rolling code variety. I followed the instructions in the owners manual. Just not working for me - searched "Garage Door" but did not get anything helpful. Anyone else go thru this frustrating exercise? Did you finally figure this out? My Avalanche was as easy as 1-2. The Vette does not have the triangle molded into the garage door opener.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM
briancuss
Instructor

I held the outer 2 buttons for 2 secs...
Pressed the learn button on the opener overhead...
Jumped back in Vette and pressed and held button...
Kept holding up to the 20 sec....
The garage door never did move!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:40 PM
06C6Z
Burning Brakes

sorry
Old 12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Got the same in mine, had to run to the car after hitting learn and held it for a lot longer than the 20 seconds like they said, it worked that time after several attempts holding for 20 seconds with no luck....

Let us know how you make out....
Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

If your visor has 3 LEDS and no house symbol you have GM's new cheap skate system called "car2u" they have a web site that will help

http://learcar2u.com/
Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
If your visor has 3 LEDS and no house symbol you have GM's new cheap skate system called "car2u" they have a web site that will help

http://learcar2u.com/
PipeDreams, didn't you post a procedure on how to do this? I'm thinking that with this new Lear system, your procedure should become a sticky in the C6 FAQ's.

Moderators???
Old 12-03-2006, 06:30 PM
vtew
Intermediate

Start the procedure again, and when you get to the point of pressing the learn button on your garage door opener, return to the car and press the button for two seconds, release for two seconds, repeat the process until the door starts to open. I had the same problem, and after repeated attempts, it finally programmed.

Good Luck!!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

It takes 2 people, one pushing the sending code buttons on garage door opener and then one pushing the learn button in car. Your garage door opener manual will describe how to activate.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM
briancuss
Instructor

I've been messin with this all day. I even had my wife come out to the sacred sanctuary - my garage - thinking maybe I was not fast enough - this was fun ... NOT!

Frustrated beyond all of the creative names I could come up for GM (need to edit to keep this a family forum), I took a break.

Thanks for the input guys...I'm gonna try again. When will GM get their **** together - why can't "the best sports car in the world" open my garage per their instructions???
Old 12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
briancuss
Instructor

Tried those suggestions - no go. Will check that website next.

What is sad? .. what is the very first "gadget" you will play with when you bring your brand new Vette home ... how to get it in your garage!

And what is the outcome .... frustration. Hey GM - way to make a first impression!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:33 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

You must be doing something out of sequence. It's pretty straight forward. I programmed 2 openers in 5 minutes and have never had a problem with progarmming any of my GM vehicles.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Another option, have the person that sold you the vehicle come out and program it for you. If he or she also has problems, perhaps you have a faulty opener in your Vette.

Ron
Old 12-03-2006, 08:46 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have been struggling with this too. I programed my Overhead Door door openers on my house garage in just a few seconds with no problems. My Corvette shop has a Linear door opener and there is no way on earth I can get that thing programed. I do everything perfectly by the instructions and when I get to the point that the door should move, the garage door light starts flashing but the door stays put. I will jump into the web sight provided above to see if I can find some answers.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
jpgolf14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saplumr
You must be doing something out of sequence. It's pretty straight forward. I programmed 2 openers in 5 minutes and have never had a problem with progarmming any of my GM vehicles.
i have sears garage door openers and the programming directions in the owners manual worked for these.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Well, according to that web sight.... the system only is compatible with Genie, Wayne Dalton, Chamberlain, and Sears rolling code openers. If you have a different brand of rolling code opener, you (may) need a conversion module, which they sell for $25. I guess I will order one and give it a try. What a PITA!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:13 PM
IdaGuy
Heel & Toe

I pressed the green button on the garage door opener while my son pressed the learn button on the visor. Worked first time...no problems. My opener is a Sears about 10 years old.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Me too, and I'm horrrible about following instructions. It was actually pretty intuitive.

Get notified of new replies

To Programming Garage Door Opener

Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 PM
briancuss
Instructor

Originally Posted by twfreightman
Well, according to that web sight.... the system only is compatible with Genie, Wayne Dalton, Chamberlain, and Sears rolling code openers. If you have a different brand of rolling code opener, you (may) need a conversion module, which they sell for $25. I guess I will order one and give it a try. What a PITA!
The website's directions were the same as the owner manual. I've emailed the company with my opener info. We'll see what they say. The Overhead Door brand is the brank all builders here put in their homes - not like it's some little unknown company.

Why it works perfectly on my 2001 Avalanche and does not work at all on my 2007 Vette makes NO SENSE.

I watched my new owner DVD today. The Corvette design team and engineers as for input on that DVD. I'll start off simple ...

LET US PARK THE VETTE IN OUR GARAGES!!!

(I wonder if the Vette designers look at these web Forems)
Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an '06. No luck here either. I keep a remote in the car. Went back out today to spend another hour or so with it.

I've followed the instructions implicitly time and time again. I followed each step--in proper sequence. I think I have it memorized by now! I used the additional step regarding the learn button which is applicable to my opener (rolling code) which is what the LED was also prompting. I tried it several times with the car off, accessories on and finally car running. Tried it by myself, then had my wife on the step ladder to push the learn button for me as well. Nothing availed. LED's always responded exactly as the instructions stated, except at the point it should have activated the door

I even tried the Canadian/Gate Opener instructions a few times!

Only thing I haven't yet tried was what vtew suggested: "when you get to the point of pressing the learn button on your garage door opener, return to the car and press the button for two seconds, release for two seconds, repeat the process until the door starts to open." The manual states to do it only twice and for some rolling code openers, up to three times. Maybe I'll make another attempt and do it countlessly until it responds (IF it responds!). Whew.

I'm right there with you briancuss. Keep us updated of any progress!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

The programming worked fine on my Overhead Door units even though the web sight says Overhead is not a compatible unit. My problem is with my Linear unit in my other garage. It simply won't work. I now have the conversion module ordered to see if that will make it work. I will for sure post results.

Quick Reply: Programming Garage Door Opener