C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manumatic? or Clutchless manual?

Old 09-27-2001, 02:45 AM
Ilovetorque
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manumatic? or Clutchless manual?

What you like it on the C6? An automatic with 'autostick' like shift control or a clutchless Manual like the
one used by Ferrari and Aston Martin to name a few?

Oops sorry dindt see the thread below....

[Modified by Ilovetorque, 6:47 AM 9/27/2001]
Old 10-04-2001, 04:24 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Default Re: Manumatic? or Clutchless manual? (Ilovetorque)

The system used by Ferrari and Aston is a manual tranny augmented with a bunch of hydraulic actualtors and a computer. The hydraulics operate the clutch and shift the tranny under computer control. On the Modena, there ar 4 or 5 modes from full auto sports mode (full throttle shifts at red-line) to lazy around town modes (soft clutch release.)

Computerized manuals have the advantages of: a) high torque ratings (same as regular manual), b) high gass millage, c) faster shifting

I think one should be offered, but I still relish shifting by/for myself.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:54 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default We'd like computer-clutch manual. We're getting manumatic.

The upcoming 5-speed auto will have manumatic functionality.

From a product-mix standpoint this better fits the current Corvette demographics. It makes all the current auto-trans people happy and converts some present manual-trans people to auto (assuming torque values regain parity). The initial impact of a computer-clutch manual would be to split the market into three camps, because not all manual drivers want a brand-new computer-clutch tranny the first year of production.

I don't think we'll see computer-clutch manual until it's a cheap add-on to the existing tranny. I doubt it's cheap now. And GM is not about to out-source transmission technology. (Ferrari and Aston Martin outsource.)

.Jinx

Get notified of new replies

To Manumatic? or Clutchless manual?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manumatic? or Clutchless manual?