C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni FSD shocks installed and reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:32 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rlsedition
Keep in mind also that volume has a significant effect on cost/price. That's one of the reasons the ZO6 costs way less than a Ferrari or Lambo, even though the performance is in the same league. KONIs are, at least right now, a low-volume shock.
I mentioned that factor. Economies of scale play a huge role in the market price required to recoup investment. That's why, other factors more or less equal, you generally get better value for your dollar by buying from a high volume manufacturer, high volume distributor, and high volume retailer. That's Walmart's secret to success. The Mom and Pop stores have to charge more per unit to cover their overhead than a retail giant who deals directly, and in large volume, with manufacturers of mass market products.

The idea of pay more, get more is simplistic, and often (very often) not true. That was intended to be the main thrust of my previous comments. That said, if the FSD design is significantly better, it may still be worth paying the premium. Not because of any simplistic pay more get more mistaken ideas, but because the product itself brings benefits to the consumer that can't be obtained from a different vendor.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:56 PM
rlsedition
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shopdog,

Well, I guess we'll see if the FSDs are really better in the passage of time. You guys will make that decision. The only thing that's tough is that shocks, like many other items on the car, are a pretty subjective call. Some actually like a rough ride, for instance. And dyno traces only tell a fraction of the story.

Understand, too, that KONI will shortly have a two-pronged attack on the C5/C6 Vette: the FSDs and the new Sports, which are monotube with inverted bodies and are rebound-adjustable. Depends on what you want/need out of a set of shocks. The new Sports should be available sometime in the first quarter 2007.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:13 PM
torch2000vert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shopdog
Often, what you're paying more for is a boutique name. I don't see a $500 difference in materials or labor between the Koni and Bilstein shocks. Both probably cost about $20 to make, though Bilstein has economies of scale in its favor so they probably cost a little less. Still, Bilstein seems satisfied with a 150% markup while Koni seems to want a 875% markup.

Its a bit like air cleaner housings, where some vendors seem to think $300-$400 for $3 worth of plastic is a fair price based on their name. Of course the bottom line is to charge what the market will bear, and the market seems willing to bear a lot for certain names. In the rag business, this is taken to outrageous extremes. The same seems to hold in the limited production auto market.
They are just different animals, Koni FSD's are a low pressure oil/gas twin tube shock, Bilsteins are a high pressure mono-tube gas. By nature the Koni's will cost more to manufacture. For the money Bilsteins are a good value compared to others in their price range. If they made a twin tube FSD style shock I imagine they would be closer in cost. My family business manufactures parts for the Aerospace and Automotive industries, so I know a little bit about manufacturing, labor costs and machining etc. I have had Koni's on 5 vehicles to date, and Bilsteins on 3. I put almost 220,000 punishing miles on one set of Koni's and they were the same as the day I put them on. Just pick both up and hold them in your hand, look closely at the construction, finish, piston shafts etc. Looking beyond the internals at things like the piston shaft size, material hardness, tube wall thickness, brackets and welds, it's easy to see the difference. The Bilsteins on my truck were shot at 55k, leaking etc. Bilstein literally laughed when I called them direct and asked them if they would replace them. I had Bilstein Sports on my C5 they were nice, but I drove cars with Koni's and they simply rode and drove better. That's why I waited months for the FSD's as I drove a 3 series with them. It's pretty hard to improve on BMW's OEM suspension tuning, but Koni did. I had Bilsteins on my last Audi A6, they felt jumpy compared to the Koni sports and after 60k or so they were also shot. I do not think Bilstein has anything like FSD's which I know works and have tested. If I thought Bilsteins were better I would have put them on my C6. For me the difference was only $250 for the set so cost really was not an issue. Another member is going to add them and if he goes with the same components we can do a back to back comparison. Stay tuned.

Last edited by torch2000vert; 12-24-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:34 PM
shopdog
Race Director

shopdog,

Well, I guess we'll see if the FSDs are really better in the passage of time. You guys will make that decision. The only thing that's tough is that shocks, like many other items on the car, are a pretty subjective call. Some actually like a rough ride, for instance. And dyno traces only tell a fraction of the story.

Understand, too, that KONI will shortly have a two-pronged attack on the C5/C6 Vette: the FSDs and the new Sports, which are monotube with inverted bodies and are rebound-adjustable. Depends on what you want/need out of a set of shocks. The new Sports should be available sometime in the first quarter 2007.
I agree that ride quality is often judged subjectively, but the real story is told on the street. If the FSDs allow better control in rough turns, letting the car go quicker and safer, they'll be winners. If torch2000vert's review is any indication, they are winners.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

Often, what you're paying more for is a boutique name. I don't see a $500 difference in materials or labor between the Koni and Bilstein shocks. Both probably cost about $20 to make, though Bilstein has economies of scale in its favor so they probably cost a little less. Still, Bilstein seems satisfied with a 150% markup while Koni seems to want a 875% markup.

Its a bit like air cleaner housings, where some vendors seem to think $300-$400 for $3 worth of plastic is a fair price based on their name. Of course the bottom line is to charge what the market will bear, and the market seems willing to bear a lot for certain names. In the rag business, this is taken to outrageous extremes. The same seems to hold in the limited production auto market.

This is interesting logic.
Using that rationale any and all software only should only cost 25 cents because it only takes a few pennies to burn the CD and stick it in a box, since thats onbviously the only thing that goes into their cost
Old 12-24-2006, 08:15 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Invisiguard
Using that rationale any and all software only should only cost 25 cents because it only takes a few pennies to burn the CD and stick it in a box, since thats onbviously the only thing that goes into their cost
I agree. R&D = $$$.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:18 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice review, thanks.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:53 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW I love this give and take while remaining civil. Thanks guys, I've learned a ton from this thread!!
When I heard first heard of the FDS shocks it was my gut feeling that they would do for my 07 Z51 exactly what the real world data provided by torch2000vette seems to suggest. I especially like the fact that these are rebuildable and have a lifetime limited warranty.

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 12-24-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:19 PM
SimpsonH
Pro

I asked a high paid consultant for Neiman Marcus about their pricing at a dinner party once. He told me that he often tells merchants to double and even triple the price of an item just so some people will think it is of higher quality. Same item, but many people equate price with quality.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:20 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

KONI's warranty is Limited Lifetime to the original purchaser, which means that unless they are installed improperly or somehow abused, KONI will rebuild or replace a defective damper. I, too, would like to know why that guy is down on KONI products; maybe its something we can address.

I know you guys know your stuff on this forum, but I'm a little baffled about the speculation concerning shock rod length, bump stop dimensions, etc., of OEs versus FSDs. Trust me, our engineers know what they're doing on shocks; differences versus OE are justified. Part of what you see is monotube (OE) versus twin-tube (FSD) designs. FSDs are low-pressure gas, so the piston rod must be pulled out from the shock body to find the extended length, where the OE high-pressure is fully extended unless attached to the car. Another is that FSDs are very sensitive to bump stop length, so the OE stop probably wasn't well suited to this application and our shocks.

Rather than rant on, I'll let our product performance speak for itself.
I did a little follow-up and it seems to be the amount of adjustability in the Konis vs some other brands rather than some kind of quality issue. Told him about the new FDS system, which he was not yet familiar with, and he is going to do fresh research into them.

BJK
Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Works for me.

Of course R&D costs have to be amortized over the production run of a product. Since that's almost all of the cost of a software product, it takes a bigger chunk than for a machined bit of steel or aluminum. For the latter, production costs dominate.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:20 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

shopdog

I was reading your input on a rather lenghty discussion of bump steer in an old post and am wondering what your insight is on the ability of the FDS Konis to control "skitter", a concern of mine with the Z51 suspension on my 07. It also was a real problem for me with the 89 IROC I had for many years. I was always reluctant to push it in the corners on the street unless the road was dead smooth. Different animal than the C6 but I think it may have been the same problem.

61 Pontiac 2dr, 3 spd, tri-power 389 w/4.11 rear end
63 1/2 Ford Fairlane 500 2dr, 4 spd, 427 ci 425 hp, dual quads, and 4.11 rearend
67 FireBird, 4 spd, 389ci
69 XKE Jaguar cpe, Yellow w/blk leather, 4 spd
84 Chevy Z28, 5ltr, 5sp, Posi-track, 4 wheel disc brakes
89 IROC cp, 5 ltr 5 spd, 230hp/300tq
07 Mont Red cpe, Z51, MZ6 (early Jan, 07 will add the ACE SLICK wheel package, APS TWIN Turbo Package w/3" APS Exhaust, Z06 brake conversion, corner weighted 4 wheel alignment, and AM Cobalt Guages.

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 01-02-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
shopdog

I was reading your input on a rather lenghty discussion of bump steer in an old post and am wondering what your insight is on the ability of the FDS Konis to control "skitter", a concern of mine with the Z51 suspension on my 07. It also was a real problem for me with the 89 IROC I had for many years. I was always reluctant to push it in the corners on the street unless the road was dead smooth. Different anaimal than the C6 but I think it may have been the same problem.

61 Pontiac 2dr, 3 spd, tri-power 389 w/4.11 rear end
63 1/2 Ford Fairlane 500 2dr, 4 spd, 427 ci 425 hp, dual quads, and 4.11 rearend
69 XKE Jaguar cpe, Yellow w/blk leather, 4 spd
84 Chevy Z28, 5ltr, 5sp, Posi-track, 4 wheel disc brakes
89 IROC cp, 5 ltr 5 spd, 230hp/300tq
07 Mont Red cpe, Z51, MZ6 (early Jan, 07 will add the ACE GP wheel package, APS TWIN Turbo Package w/3" APS Exhaust, Z06 brake conversion, corner weighted 4 wheel alignment, and AM Cobalt Guages.

BJK
yeah Im having this same problem with my Z51, It will sure take a nice set through a turn and hold like hell but Ive never had a car that became so unsettled over bumps and irrgularities, really makes me gasp when I hit the slightest bump in the milddle of a turn or even changing lanes

the stock Z51 springs and sways seem fine but the shocks have to go, they are both harsh over hi-frequency and underdamped on low frequency stuff, oscilates like hell on the freeway

Ill be running the bilsteins because I would like my ride firmer across the board and not as concerened with getting a softer initial response like these konis seem to provide(Im still young and stupid enough to like that nonsense) though the reports of the bilsteins also giving a more comfortable ride as well wouldnt surprise me much either after driving these Z51 shocks around for a while, I'll let you know if they improve the skitter, I hope so, theres also WAY too much deflection in all the stock bushings as well that doesnt help with quick transitions, but thats a bigger job for a latter day
Old 12-25-2006, 03:44 AM
torch2000vert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Bumpsteer

Skitter and bumpsteer is why I didn't buy a Z51 optioned car, though they do really feel great on smooth roads. The roads where I live are documented as some of the worst in the country. I even felt it on my C6 FE1 car before I added the FSD's and Z51 bars. My C5 had a lot of bumpsteer, I added a bumpsteer kit with a suspension compressed bumpsteer compensated alignment with good results. To really set up a bumpsteer kit right you need to check and compensate the alignment settings when the suspension in the front is fully compressed as well at resting ride height. Hunter has a rack/software that does just that. The link below talks about it. My C5 had Z06 springs and bars with Bilstein sports, I was one of the first to get a a C5 on the new Hunter system. The Bilsteins helped a little but the Bumpsteer kit and alignment was quite a dramatic improvement. The problem was from the firm Z06 springs, the C5 Z06 springs are pretty close to the C6 Z51 spring rate. My feeling is the FSD's may help quite a bit. RSL tested the FSD's on a Z51 optioned car with very good results and a noticeable improvement in skitter. Perhaps he could chime in, He would be the man to ask. I noticed my car with the FSDs and Z51 bars has dramatically less shudder and bumpsteer. Again my car actually rides better with the Z51 bars and FSD's vs the FE1 bars and FSD's, so I imagine they would do the same for the Z51 suspension. I bought a bumpsteer kit for my C6, but now I do not feel I need it. After adding the FSD's to my car, a guy in my office complex just ordered a set for his Z51 optioned car. He's not a member here but I may wind up doing the install for him and can give you some feedback. FYI the FSD's are way easier to compress and install vs the OEM's to remove. A bumpsteer kit may be a good addition as well for you guys with Z51 suspension, I hope this helps

http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...38E3B049DDAF1D

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/al...id=45648d19140

Last edited by torch2000vert; 12-25-2006 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:55 AM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

oh yeah Ive had that Zip bumpsteer tie-rods on my to-do list since I lowered my car
bumpsteers def there, but theres also alot of oscilation over irregularites/bumps, mostly in the rear, that can be tamed through better dampning, so you say the FSDs are better at that too huh? well Im just gonna have to check out your car, wheres is aptos anyways?
Old 12-25-2006, 03:57 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Invisiguard;1558243079]yeah Im having this same problem with my Z51, It will sure take a nice set through a turn and hold like hell but Ive never had a car that became so unsettled over bumps and irrgularities, really makes me gasp when I hit the slightest bump in the milddle of a turn or even changing lanes

I included my signature to show the performance cars I have owned thru my fifty years of driving. I also included the mods I will shortly be doing to my 07 C6.
One of them is the corner weighted 4 wheel alignment. My speed shop tells me that alot of the handling problems will be improved when they install adjustable end links and have it properly set up for my weight in the diver seat. I also want to address the shock problems at the same time which is why I have been involved in this particular thread even though I don't add a whole lot to the discussion.

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 12-25-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:11 AM
torch2000vert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

oh yeah Ive had that Zip bumpsteer tie-rods on my to-do list since I lowered my car
bumpsteers def there, but theres also alot of oscilation over irregularites/bumps, mostly in the rear, that can be tamed through better dampning, so you say the FSDs are better at that too huh? well Im just gonna have to check out your car, wheres is aptos anyways?
South of Santa Cruz. I will be over the hill in the Bay area a lot in Mid Jan. Try the shocks first, then think about the bumpsteer kit. My feeling is the FSD's will cure your ills a little better than the Bilsteins. They didn't help my C5 much, not like the FSD's did to my C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Koni FSD shocks installed and reviewed

Old 12-25-2006, 09:01 AM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by knkali
great review

Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 10:08 AM
rlsedition
Advanced

The biggest improvement I observed on our C6/Z51 was steering feel/feedback over poor surfaces. With the OE dampers the car wanted to dart back and forth, much like the feel from super-wide tires called "trammlining". It was disconcerting to say the least; you couldn't relax behind the wheel in those conditions.

The FSDs have the smaller, parallel valve that reacts to minor disturbances (high-frequency inputs) and backs off rebound damping force under those situations. The shocks can then absorb the minor hits so you don't feel them.

Some of the MINI guys have been experimenting with FSDs for autocrossing and have found lap time improvements. FSDs were not really designed for this usage, but I think I know what's happening: when the driver gets road inputs through the steering wheel, he/she reacts by feeding in steering angle. Perhaps the FSDs, by filtering out the high-frequency inputs, causes the driver not to try to steer through the event, resulting in a smoother line.

OBTW, I'm also enjoying this discourse on shocks. I'm an enthusiast, too.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:17 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
shopdog

I was reading your input on a rather lenghty discussion of bump steer in an old post and am wondering what your insight is on the ability of the FDS Konis to control "skitter", a concern of mine with the Z51 suspension on my 07. It also was a real problem for me with the 89 IROC I had for many years. I was always reluctant to push it in the corners on the street unless the road was dead smooth. Different anaimal than the C6 but I think it may have been the same problem.
I'm of the opinion that the primary cause of skitter in the Z51 suspension is the overly stiff springs. Secondary to that is a shock with incorrect rebound damping. That's why I run FE1 springs and went to aftermarket shocks. I don't have any first hand experience with the Koni FSD shocks, so I can't say if they would be better than the Bilsteins I run. But it does sound like they might be.

You'll still have the issue of the too high rate springs, though. I don't think shocks can cure that. Too high a spring rate won't allow the wheels to properly track irregularities in the road. The ideal setup is when the spring rate times total available spring travel just equals twice the corner weight. The FE1 spring rate almost exactly meets that criteria. The Z51 spring rate is 20% higher. That means the car is going to skitter on rough surfaces.

True bump steer is a different issue. Bump steer has to do with steering geometry. The wheel actually turns left or right due to excursions of the suspension. A car with properly designed steering geometry will have negligible bump steer. I believe the Corvette has properly designed steering geometry. Of course, if your car is out of alignment, that'll throw the geometry off and can cause bump steer. So I always suggest making sure the alignment is correct after any changes to the suspension. (Changing the trim height can throw things out, so you may need a kit to correct the suspension geometry after lowering the car from stock ride height.)

Last edited by shopdog; 12-25-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Koni FSD shocks installed and reviewed