C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hope for the next generation..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hope for the next generation..

Stopped and got some gas tonight. There was a kid filling up in front of me, maybe 17, 18 yrs old. He was driving a late 80's Camaro. Nice condition, you could see he takes care of it. I pulled up and his eyes got big as my wheels. He comes over to me and says "Wow, sweet car!" I said, "Thanks". He asked if he could check out under the hood. I pop it, he looks around and says "It's a 2007 huh?" I said "Yeah". He said "Thought so, no hood light". I let him look inside and he starts rattling off "Cool, ride control, heads-up, nav. Got it loaded, huh?"

I was impressed. He said he gets every car mag made and the Corvette is his dream car. Said he WILL have one someday.

I believe him.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
fifthbattlegroup
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice story. I was the same way as a kid. If I spent as much time on my schoolwork as I did on cars, I might have turned out to be someone!

BTW, SWEET AVATAR!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
geoffrsc
Instructor

Old 02-08-2007, 11:07 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

I had a similar thing happen last Fall. I had my new 07' parked out back of the office where I can keep a good eye on it. One day I noticed two young kids about 16 standing back about 3 feet from the car. I watched them for a while and it was obvious they were admiring the car and were not up to no good. I thought I'd go out and let them have a closer look. A couple of leaves were resting on the hood and as I started towards the car I saw one of the kids carefully reach for one of the leaves to take it off the car. I yelled at them and they both jumped 10 feet back and started with a ton of stories about how they were just trying to take care of a nice car. I laughed and told them I was just messing with them. One of the kids was well versed in the Vette and knew just about everything about it. I let them sit it, play with the stereo, and rev it up a few times. In the end they were extremely grateful and offered to shake my hand when they left. Both kids were very respectful and I was really amazed that they wanted to shake my hand. I told them to come back next summer for a ride. It made my day.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:16 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice to have some decent kids admiring your car and not doing it any harm. I was the same way with the '63 through '67s. The three or four grand the cars cost then was totally beyond me. And....if vettes had increased in cost at the same rate as general inflation a C6 would cost no more than $15 k today.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Nice to have some decent kids admiring your car and not doing it any harm. I was the same way with the '63 through '67s. The three or four grand the cars cost then was totally beyond me. And....if vettes had increased in cost at the same rate as general inflation a C6 would cost no more than $15 k today.
Jesus dude, is it always about money with you? Are you suffering from "didn't getevenwithemism?"

Every fricken post....dayum.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's cool....there are actually a lot of kids into cars....weren't we all at that age. The C6 is one Hell of a conversation starter and we're all still kids at heart.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Ha nice story I was like that about Mustangs when I was younger. Figgured I wouldn't own a vette till I was in my 40s LOL
Old 02-09-2007, 08:35 AM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope he gets one soon! He deserves it!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Shortly after I got my '05 Coupe, my wife and I were at a Sheetz convenience store in West Virginia around 2am getting drinks and gas.

As I am coming out of the store, this kid comes up and asks if he can take pictures of the car with his cellphone, so I say, "Sure"... and he then proceeds to walk around the car taking pictures from every angle, smiling the whole time.

After a minute or two, I am strapped in and the sodas are secure in the drink holders, so I press the "Launch" button, the motor starts and he starts smiling even more.

As I back out and get turned around, he gives me a big as we drive away.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:21 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I can remember being that kid.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Dangeresque
Instructor

Originally Posted by JVM225
I can remember being that kid.
I do too. And I had 2 guys treat me as well as you treated that kid...that's probably one of the biggest reasons I'm a Vette owner today.

One guy always encouraged me... the other actually let me drive his C4, back when I was in high school.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
TopNotch
Instructor

My first car in 99 was a 87 Iroc-Z. I always looked at my Z being the stepping stone to a Vette someday. Since I was 13 I was getting Vette magazines in the mail and my moms uncle would give me his Ecklers catalogs to take home when we would visit him. I always thought though it would be a long time until I could afford a Vette but do to hard work and sweat I go my Vette in early December brand new at the early age of 24. Would it have been smarter for me to buy more real estate... yes, but I was coming off a broking engagement and went straight for my dream car and never looked back.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Great Dane
Pro

It's true, younger generations love the C6. I had a Honda S2000 a few years back, traded it for an 04 C5. I still visited the S2000 forums though and they didn't look at the C5 in a very favorable light. Then came the C6 and everything changed. I did as well and traded the 04 for an 06. Mostly in the winter when I can't drive the car, the best I can do is surf the various car forums and it is amazing to read the change in perception of the vette. Kids love it and it has become a much dreamed of car, not dissimlar from when I was that age - mid 60's. I think it's great, and great for GM. Like a lot of us, if you get em young, you can stand off the rush of imports. The vette does that.

There is one other thing though. The kids think we are all 55+, smoke cigars and won't drive the cars at anything like the car's capabilities. I guess that impression has changed also though. When I had the 04, we were all a bunch of mullett, gold chained rednecks. All in all, in the minds of the youth of today, I think we're moving up.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

100% True Story:

When I was 16, I would ask the girls if they wanted a ride my "Vette".

It worked everytime, and they would rush out to get into the car.

What was great, would be when they saw my "Vette" and would say that's a Chevette, NOT a Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Hope for the next generation..

Quick Reply: Hope for the next generation..