C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-55 Re-flash / Corrective or Performance Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default F-55 Re-flash / Corrective or Performance Mod?

I believe I read the F55 system in the 2007 C6 was improved to offer a greater differentiation between the two settings. I also recall reading there was a re-flash for the F55 system.

With the magnetically responsive F55 suspension system, the state of the MR fluid changes in proportion to the strength of the magnetic field applied. I also realize the F55 system reacts in relation to various inputs such as braking, steering, throttle, lateral acceleration, relative position, relative velocity, vehicle speed, steering angle, lift/dive angle, yaw rate, road inputs, etc. to provide variable force resistance.

What exactly is the F55 re-flash for? I don’t recall reading about any problems with the F55 suspension system so if the re-flash isn’t corrective, is it to improve system performance?

Does the F55 re-flash alter the parameters of the various inputs to increase dampening resistance and/or does it change the electrical current to increase the magnetic field to alter the MR fluid to an even denser state....yielding greater performance-oriented dampening?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I believe I read the F55 system in the 2007 C6 was improved to offer a greater differentiation between the two settings. I also recall reading there was a re-flash for the F55 system.

With the magnetically responsive F55 suspension system, the state of the MR fluid changes in proportion to the strength of the magnetic field applied. I also realize the F55 system reacts in relation to various inputs such as braking, steering, throttle, lateral acceleration, relative position, relative velocity, vehicle speed, steering angle, lift/dive angle, yaw rate, road inputs, etc. to provide variable force resistance.

What exactly is the F55 re-flash for? I don’t recall reading about any problems with the F55 suspension system so if the re-flash isn’t corrective, is it to improve system performance?

Does the F55 re-flash alter the parameters of the various inputs to increase dampening resistance and/or does it change the electrical current to increase the magnetic field to alter the MR fluid to an even denser state....yielding greater performance-oriented dampening?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
What exactly is the F55 re-flash for?...Does the F55 re-flash alter the parameters of the various inputs to increase dampening resistance and/or does it change the electrical current to increase the magnetic field to alter the MR fluid to an even denser state....yielding greater performance-oriented dampening?
Might do both, Wayne.
Changing the computer's register values (within the F55 program) would conversely change the output current controlling the dampening.

I'm curious as to why reflash of the entire program was required to start, unless reflashing one (or more) register values couldn't be accomplished without doing 'em all.
"Old" EPROMs used to work like that, but I'd have thought the PROMs used in todays cars would've been of the EEPROM variety.

Now this is a question for "Shopdog" if ever there were.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

i don't know about a reflash but i will tell you that with my 07 F55 you can tell immediately when you switch from touring to sport, even on a "regular" street. i'm not sure that prior years were that noticable so it may be different.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
...Now this is a question for "Shopdog" if ever there were.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Shopdog does not have the F55. He has the base suspension with Z51 anti-sway bars, and Bilstein HD shocks. He is QUITE pleased with his setup.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clevitekid
Shopdog does not have the F55. He has the base suspension with Z51 anti-sway bars, and Bilstein HD shocks. He is QUITE pleased with his setup.
Maybe so, but we're betting he can shed some light on this issue regardless whether his car has F55 or not.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
i don't know about a reflash but i will tell you that with my 07 F55 you can tell immediately when you switch from touring to sport, even on a "regular" street. i'm not sure that prior years were that noticable so it may be different.
I can discern a difference even on my 2005 F55 system....it's not huge but it is a noticeable difference. Perhaps part of the reason the difference between the tour and sport modes is 'less' is that the inputs to the system are remaining essentially the same. Many factors affect the suspension system....if these factors are fairly constant, the feel of the ride will remain somewhat constant as well. The application of the magnetic field changes MR fluid from a liquid state to a semi-solid state in proportion to the strength of the field applied. In sport mode a greater magnetic field is applied proportional to the many inputs the system receives. If these various inputs remain constant, you will not feel the maximum results of the system.

Again, I wonder what the F55 re-flash is for....to correct some problem I am not aware of or if the re-flash is to enhance performance of the system itself by means of altering the input specs and/or the electrical current/magnetic field.

Hopefully, some of the more qualified tech people will have some knowledge about this. Overalll I'm very happy with the F55 system but if a re-flash would enhance it to an even higher performance standard, that would be great.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
RJMan
Instructor

TTT

I'm interested too.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Can a reflash be done if the car has been tuned? I don't want to do anything to mess that up. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:36 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Maybe so, but we're betting he can shed some light on this issue regardless whether his car has F55 or not.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to this question.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 AM
RJMan
Instructor

Anyone had the F55 re-flash please jump in. I'm interested in the A6 tranny re-flash too or do either of these even exist?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
RJMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJMan
Anyone had the F55 re-flash please jump in. I'm interested in the A6 tranny re-flash too or do either of these even exist?

TTT
Anyone?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM
BigGeek
Drifting

Originally Posted by Landru
Might do both, Wayne.
Changing the computer's register values (within the F55 program) would conversely change the output current controlling the dampening.

I'm curious as to why reflash of the entire program was required to start, unless reflashing one (or more) register values couldn't be accomplished without doing 'em all.
Usually there's a very large "lookup" table that has parameters for steering, accelerator/brake peddle, g forces, and road conditions (bumps) and so on and so forth. It's not just a simple register change. And changing one spot in the table could throw the adjoining spots off, making for a rough transition.

As I remember the change was actually done for 2006 models to make a greater difference between sport and tour modes.

Get notified of new replies

To F-55 Re-flash / Corrective or Performance Mod?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGeek
As I remember the change was actually done for 2006 models to make a greater difference between sport and tour modes.
how would you compare this to what one get with the z51 bars on the f55 ?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
BigGeek
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zig
how would you compare this to what one get with the z51 bars on the f55 ?
Sorry I couldn't tell you.

I did drive a 2005 vert with F55 for 2 days. It was definitely hard to tell the difference unless you hit a real bumpy road. Even then I considered the difference minimal.

But in the end I got the Z51 for my own car.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I definitely read they changed the F55 system to provide a greater differentiation between tour and sport modes in either the 2006 or 2007 model year. I did read (somewhere here in the forum) there was a re-flash for the F55 system. It seems a mystery so....

I stopped-by my local dealership yesterday and spoke to my service advisor. I asked him (and I put it in writing) when he had time, to confirm whether or not there is an F55 re-flash and assuming there is one, to find out exactly what it does.

I hope to hear back from him later this week.

Quick Reply: F-55 Re-flash / Corrective or Performance Mod?